It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians are discriminated against and 'treated with disrespect', senior bishops warn

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I agree.. I have more than a few gripes about the church myself.. A lot is well deserved too.. Particularly with the recent news from the Vatican....

But organised religion will always heap to itself those types who will subvert its tenets for their own ends... Thats why it is good to not be a sheep who blindly follows but one who questions and will be vocal when others bring harm to its integrity..... This has not been done because the sheep have been quiet and asleep for a long time and there has been a "dont touch or speak against Gods anointed" attitude when falsehoods have been preached and certain acts have been done... I have known people who really needed help being turned away.... That is NOT the true church.... And not ALL of them... The ones that do great work in the community and around the world are forgotten and their good work goes unrecognized because of the acts of the very few.... However people always remember the bad and not the good which way outweighs the bad..

However the church in modern times has become a business which seeks after its own and not what it was created for.... It has robbed God and the poor and made God look a liar in the eyes of those who are searching... They have a lot to answer for in that respect.... But that is not an excuse for people to harass and discriminate against good people who have done nothing wrong....

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by K J Gunderson

Read the article....

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Here is another example of UK Christians being persecuted

Link

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
reply to post by K J Gunderson

Read the article....

I read the article. The woman is not supposed to wear necklaces. It says nothing about the cross. The cross would be the charm, not the chain she is banned from wearing at work. Where does it specifically state she cannot wear the cross or carry it on here person?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Christians are always just "dying" to be martyrs. Consciously or unconsciously they recognize martyrdom as one of the key beliefs of the faith, and they want to emulate that.

So being persecuted is celebrated.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
reply to post by john_bmth

The advocation of being discriminatory does... Not just that lady but a more recent case (read the OP)...

The case of the b and b is simple... Their house their rules.... The government has no right to legislate who you may or may not allow in your house.. The moment they are able to do that then the ramifications would be bad for gay and straight alike... What if a gay couple owned a b and b and refused a straight couple the same thing? I doubt it would even make the news..

The government already have too much power over our lives ....

It is their house, yes, but when they turn it into a B&B, it's a public service, just like any other restaurant or cafe or hotel.
That is their choice to use their own home as a means to produce cashflow. With that choice comes sacrifices, like the ability to turn away patrons based on religious ridicule. Ofcourse they have every right to turnaway abusive, non-compliant customers (like another other establishment), but that is not the case in the story in question.
Your last point is irrelevant and merely shows your one-sided view is this matter.
This is a completely and utterly pointless thread which has turned into the typical Christian thread about Christians being trodden upon and treated unfairly and blah blah blah.
There is no conspiracy here
Christian's are NOT a minority religion at all...

If you bother to read anything there you will see Christianity is indeed on the decline, but it is still far and away the "biggest" faith in the UK.
It is a little outdated (2005), but it simply shows the growing trend across modernized countries:

"Of 41 countries polled, 16 most developed countries have less than 40% of the populace who think religion is important in their lives. The rest (including the US at a very high 60%, and nearly all developing countries) had at least 57% of their populace who said so."

...no conspiracy, just logically thinking people waking up to the charade that is organized religion.

If you all think the UK is out to get you and feel oppressed, why not just move on over to the US? They seem to enjoy their JC more than anyone!

[edit on 5-4-2010 by makinho21]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
[edit on 5-4-2010 by makinho21]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock
Well it looks like the only way to get respect is to start chopping off heads and blowing things up.

Well, xtianity was more or less founded that way to begin with I personally have no objection to people believing what they wish, but the secular world needs to make a concerted effort in stamping out the demand for religious reverence and removing it's influence in how our society is run.

Christianity is whinging about being discriminated against, this is not discrimination against a person this is discrimination against the demand for reverence.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
When the Christians complained (or enquired) in Oxford about their Christmas festival having its name changed to 'Winter lights' they were met with indifference. The next year they returned with the support of the cities Jews, Muslims and Hindus and its former title was restored. People of faith should try to unite more, there's a lot of discrimination against all faiths and while I'm sure you do get 'extremist' Muslims, I'm sure for most, their beliefs makes them a better human being. The same would be said for a vast majority of religious people.

It does however, seem that Christians are taking more flack than most in the UK at the moment. I'm not sure if this is a campaign or just some pseudo-noble and subliminal reaction to the persecution of Islam and the returning rise of anti-semitism. Surely it's all the same God anyway, just packaged differently (I really hope I haven't said the wrong thing there).

If it is a campaign though it might be worth considering www.forgottenbooks.org (you can read all their books for free there) and having a look at 'Proofs of a conspiracy against all the religions and governments of Europe, carried on in the secret meetings of Freemasons Illuminati and reading societies'. Not the catchiest title, but fairly descriptive of its contents. And when was this book published? 1798.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Ironic. The second of the 10 commandments forbids making a graven image that represents anything in heaven. The cross becomes a graven image if worshipped. Taking an employer to court over a physical image amounts to worshiping the cross as opposed to worshiping Jesus.

How ironic that the employer won.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
What do you expect when you kowtow to a Jewish Cosmic Zombie.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by teapot

Hi teapot, thank you for that.

Your walk is the walk of your belief, as is mine.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact
All you need is Love... -John Lennon

but what would atheists be doing with beliefs in the first place ?

By it's very nature atheism is not supposed to participate in this great debate because it shows acknowledgment of God. In fact the atheists in this thread are so drawn to it like some giant magnet because they have an inkling of a Doubt... (damn there's that word again)

Ridiculous. Becoming an atheist does not mean one loses all awareness of the impact religion has in politics and society at large. I'm an atheist yet religion effects me.. for instance I'm annoyed that the pope isn't in prison but that does not mean I secretly believe in god.

Satanist are above Atheist because at least they are going somewhere too and have a belief...

Opposition to godliness is atheism in profession and idolatry in practice. Atheism is so senseless and odious to mankind that it never had many professors
-Isaac Newton

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Holy teastrainers! Call an exorcist! This thread has been reanimated: its a zombie!

You're quoting Isaac Newton on religion? When I want to know how long it will take for the last christian to hit the floor when they jump off the last church tower that hasn't been turned into something useful, like a nightclub, I'll consult Newton's theories. In the meantime, just as I'd laugh in the Pope's face if he tried to tell me that fornication is wrong, I'll leave the dear old apple-smitten duffer's opinions on subject matter outside his area of expertise to moulder away where they belong: the dustbin of history.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

Well all I have to say to them is, well trade places with me for a day, I bet you pagans get a lot more discrimination and needless fear mongering then those christians do, oh wait they are the ones calling us satanists and evil...I guiess they wouldn't trade places then cause they already know how they treat us!

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

Every religion is discriminated against by every other. So I suggest that these people stop moaning about other people and build up their religion.

As I would say to everyone.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunken Drum

Christian are not Catholics, and btw I was responding to someone else's post it's called a follow up.

peace

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Excuse me. but I believe that Catholics call themselves Christians?

They believe in Christ, and His mother Mary.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

Catholics are the church of England and Rome... yes in 2000 they claimed they we're the "mother of all churches" but somewhere along in history there came a split... I suggest you research this.

Christians do not disapprove of Catholics I was just trying to give the poster who responded to me a clearer insight and knowledge of our separation from that particular sect of Christianity.

I have no problem with Catholics myself but their particular flavor parallels the mindset of the British aristocracy in where they think they own the word... It took William Tyndale to bring the word to the common man.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Define Irony....

A 13 page thread, decrying the Persecution of Christians...

In which Christians are persecuting and insulting other Christians....

God Bless you all...
edit on 22-11-2010 by thegoodearth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join