It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians are discriminated against and 'treated with disrespect', senior bishops warn

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I have to say that this is quite true. There is a weird anti-Christian attitude in the U.K. I think it is terrible that people are being suppressed from expressing their religion.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by makinho21

again...why is this on ATS?

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by makinho21
reply to post by makinho21

again...why is this on ATS?

The OP is about a conspiracy against religion. ATS is a place for that kind of thing, is it not?

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I absolutely agree. Story in today's press that gays are kicking off because a Tory politician had the audacity to say that Christian's had the right to stop gays staying at their hotel. Loads of gays saying this is discrimination but what about the rights of christians who see homosexuality as a sin. My personal view - A world gone mad!

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by dww25
I absolutely agree. Story in today's press that gays are kicking off because a Tory politician had the audacity to say that Christian's had the right to stop gays staying at their hotel. Loads of gays saying this is discrimination but what about the rights of christians who see homosexuality as a sin. My personal view - A world gone mad!

you aren't looking at it the right way. If I believed in a religion which was rooted in burning the houses of, say, chinese people, because it says in this book I worship unquestioningly that "asian houses are places of sin and must be destroyed", do my rights as a human being entail me to then go a burn a random asian person's house?
No...you can believe what you want, but when those beliefs start to impact (and damage) others, it is selfish, greedy, and counters any progress we look to make as a society/race. There is a line, which Christian gaybashers routinely step over.

As for the response to my post concerning why this is on ATS.

The OP might present a "conspiracy" against christians, but all it is, really, is a rant against non-christians and a outcry at the dwindling following and support that Christianity is experiencing - as if that is somehow a conspiracy. This thread does not belong here at all. I can simply say, there is a conspiracy against white people in black neighbourhoods...why do black ppl hate whites so much?
That is basically the same line of logic as this thread.
It's unfortunate that people reserve a special place for religion in their hearts and minds, that somehow exempts it from the normal constraints of sensibility and social progress.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   

you aren't looking at it the right way.

Look at it any way you like. In the UK, landlords of boarding houses or licensed premises have the right to bar/ban anyone they choose. They are not required to give a reason. The mistake the people in the hotel story made was to reveal their faith as the reason for their decision.

As for the response to my post concerning why this is on ATS.

The OP might present a "conspiracy" against christians, but all it is, really, is a rant against non-christians and a outcry at the dwindling following and support that Christianity is experiencing - as if that is somehow a conspiracy. This thread does not belong here at all. I can simply say, there is a conspiracy against white people in black neighbourhoods...why do black ppl hate whites so much?
That is basically the same line of logic as this thread.
It's unfortunate that people reserve a special place for religion in their hearts and minds, that somehow exempts it from the normal constraints of sensibility and social progress.

In the UK, Christians are a minority group. If the socially controlled mindlessness of the secular majority allow Christians to be discriminated against or sidelined, who will be next?

Interesting how you have used racial analogies to support your argument that it is unfortunate that people reserve their rights to believe as they will rather than embrace the secular ideology of the elites.

In the UK, the non white ethnic groups you have described are also in the minority.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by teapot

you aren't looking at it the right way.

Look at it any way you like. In the UK, landlords of boarding houses or licensed premises have the right to bar/ban anyone they choose. They are not required to give a reason. The mistake the people in the hotel story made was to reveal their faith as the reason for their decision.

No they don't. In the UK you can't ban someone from entering a pub for being black, for example. You offer a public service and as such are bound by certain rules, especially regarding discrimination.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by john_bmth

But you can discriminate against someone at work for wearing a cross???? You cant have it both ways.,.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   

I grew up in a B&B that was also my family home, which is important to rember here. Most B&B's are family homes with a few extra rooms.

My mum said she had gay guests staying and never had a problem with it, as long as they paid in the morning and behaved like any other guest. At the end of the day this was our family home, so my mum has the right to say who can stay under the same roof as her children.

I guess what I'm trying to say is people who run B&B's should not have to let anyone stay if they do not wish. If they find homosexualty offensive, then they have the right to turn homosexuals away. It's sad some people still hold such prejudices against homosexuals, but we must respect peoples beliefs especially when it comes to their private dwellings.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1

But you can discriminate against someone at work for wearing a cross???? You cant have it both ways.,.

Sorry, I don't discriminate against anyone at work. Are you refering to that BA case years ago? AFAIK it wasn't as clear cut as being discriminated "for wearing a cross". Either way, that's hardly law now, is it? And what does that have to do with discriminating against homosexuals at B&Bs again, exactly?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   

The advocation of being discriminatory does... Not just that lady but a more recent case (read the OP)...

The case of the b and b is simple... Their house their rules.... The government has no right to legislate who you may or may not allow in your house.. The moment they are able to do that then the ramifications would be bad for gay and straight alike... What if a gay couple owned a b and b and refused a straight couple the same thing? I doubt it would even make the news..

The government already have too much power over our lives ....

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
First of all I have to say this. I have expirienced more discrimination and disrespect in church, than I have ever had from any one else. Because I am not middle class, obsessed with cardigans and ties, because I am a human being, not a blasted cultist.
Second of all, Christ taught that faith in him, and in God, should be practiced in the home of the believer, not in some purpose built structure with an organisation administrating its up keep. He was a temple trasher, and often times would be sick to the guts of most of the total dross that pass for christians in this day and age. Churches are a waste of money that ought to be used to do his REAL work. Feeding the sick and the poor, clothing those who are bare , and putting a roof over the head of the homeless. I understand that these things happen, but first and foremost in the minds and hearts of the church, is keeping the church alive. This is almost heretical .Completely against Christs instructions, and intent. The church spends MILLIONS keeping its churches running, insured,and capable of being used for the purpose intended, but that money should be going to the needy , not going on fresh altar cloth, or re-paving the bloody car park. I can understand why there is so much discrimination against the church, because I love Jesus, and even I cant stand the pontificating bunch of bastards.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   

The advocation of being discriminatory does... Not just that lady but a more recent case (read the OP)...

The case of the b and b is simple... Their house their rules.... The government has no right to legislate who you may or may not allow in your house..

They offer a public service, thus are bound by the same rules and regulations as others who offer such services.

The moment they are able to do that then the ramifications would be bad for gay and straight alike... What if a gay couple owned a b and b and refused a straight couple the same thing? I doubt it would even make the news.

Why are you trying to make this out like it's bad for "straights and gays alike" when it's nothing more thin thinly vieled prejudice? Homosexuals discriminating against hetrosexuals is just as wrong as visa versa. Thus, we have laws in place to prevent this happening. Saying you "doubt it would even make the news" is claptrap as it is nothing more than conjecture on your behalf and does not in any way negate the fact that all discrimination is wrong, regardless of your personal prejudices.

EDIT: Let me put it like this. If I ran a business from home and employed people, does the fact that it's "my house, my rules" mean I can discriminate against employees based on gender, race, disability and sexuality? No, of course not.

[edit on 5-4-2010 by john_bmth]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

My mum said she had gay guests staying and never had a problem with it, as long as they paid in the morning and behaved like any other guest. At the end of the day this was our family home, so my mum has the right to say who can stay under the same roof as her children..

But why would anyone think that a homosexual couple posed any more danger to children than a hetrosexual couple unless they held the belief that homosexuals are more likely to engage in child abuse than their hetrosexual counterparts? Again, this is why we have such laws to try and minimise the amount of discrimination. We're not talking about refusing sex offenders or rapists into a B&B but people whome are no different from you and I other than their sexual orientation. Replace the word "gay" with "black" and see how it looks. Should people be allowed to refuse "black" people to stay under their roofs for fear of endangering their children?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I couldnt agree more with you... I have even done a whole thread about it www.abovetopsecret.com... However this is not about that but about individual Christians being discriminated against...

Good post however

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

My mum said she had gay guests staying and never had a problem with it, as long as they paid in the morning and behaved like any other guest. At the end of the day this was our family home, so my mum has the right to say who can stay under the same roof as her children..

But why would anyone think that a homosexual couple posed any more danger to children than a hetrosexual couple unless they held the belief that homosexuals are more likely to engage in child abuse than their hetrosexual counterparts? Again, this is why we have such laws to try and minimise the amount of discrimination. We're not talking about refusing sex offenders or rapists into a B&B but people whome are no different from you and I other than their sexual orientation. Replace the word "gay" with "black" and see how it looks. Should people be allowed to refuse "black" people to stay under their roofs for fear of endangering their children?

No your totally right, i didnt mean it to come out like that, was just trying to make the point most B&B's are family homes and as such, the owners should have a right to say who stay's there. If thats based on their religious beliefs then should we not respect that? I'm an atheist, so have no vested interest in relgion, but if we are to have religion in our socieites, we have to expect some to practice what they preach, especially in their own homes.

I was not suggesting homosexuals or any group is more likely to abuse or endanager children.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   

You are right that if you ran a business from home you would indeed be under the umbrella of anti discrimination laws and rightly so... Also to make it clear.. I have NOTHING against gay people whatsoever..... See my past posting history...

The fact is that these people are not guilty of discrimination in the workplace as is applied to to employees... They would not be able to discriminate about who they employ in terms of gender, sexuality etc, however they CAN discriminate against whom they provide their service too.. As does any business... I do not have to take your business If I do not want it.. A pub does not have to serve you if the landlord does not want to and ASDA do not have to serve you if they do not want too etc... There is no law that says you have to take another's business nor can you force your business on anyone else....

They are the losers in the end of the day through lost revenue.... That is THEIR choice..... The government cannot and should not legislate against it.. However I hope that they are just as discriminatory against un-married people who stay at their B and B or they are just hypocrites...

Not a way to run a business...

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Well it looks like the only way to get respect is to start chopping off heads and blowing things up.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

I think what I am trying to say by inserting my previous post, is that I can understand the current trend toward discrimination against Christians, because of the negative public image that they can unwittingly put out. These things are cyclical, and there has been a trend amongst the church going christian community to put people off, even in a time of great distress. This accidental/inevitable angst they have set off is bound to come back to them in some regard and I feel that this is probably that time.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Who was being discriminated against for wearing a cross? That was the whole reason I came into this thread but then I see that no such thing occurred in the article given by the OP. Is there some other thread I should have been reading?

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join