It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians are discriminated against and 'treated with disrespect', senior bishops warn

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by guillotinegleam

I believe everyone has the right to worship whoever or whatever they want without being persecuted for it.

Indeed and you will probably find most atheists will not only agree with you but go out of their way to avoid coming across as persecutors.

The complaint is that some christian bishops are whinging like girls with skinnied knees that their flock of sheeple are not being treated with respect or are even discriminated against.

Now get this for lack of respect -

In the UK 26 christian bishops, that's men who dress in skirts and consult an invisible man/men in the sky in relation to how they should live their lives, have seats in the House of Lords (note not "The Lord").

These men who would by any medical standard would be classified as "delusional" directly influence and dictate to the UK public as to how the country is run and what laws it will operate by.

These christians have "inherited" their positions, that's right they have never been elected by anyone to their positions of power and influence and it is these types of would be dictators that make damned sure christianity is forced down as many a UK child's throat as possible !

Christians want respect ? After 2000 years one would have thought they would have learned a very simple moral concept. Respect is earned not obtained by force or fear.

If christians followed a very simple instruction given to them by the invisible man in the sky, the chances are , any perceived animosity would almost certainly begin to diminish.

"Go and pray in your closets" and leave the rest of us alone.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

I suggest you use the word "Catholic" when you are referring to priest pedophiles. There are a whole mess of us Christians that are not a part of that mess and your brush is just a little too broad.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
There are a whole lot of Catholics that aren't down with what's going on either.

Also, there has been evidence of sex scandals throughout the 20th Century of Christian religion outside of the Catholic faith. From televangelists to the your unknown average baptist minister, no one faith is outside of their own issues. Even the Mormons and the church of Scientology has their sexual issues that have been covered up as well.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I'm not religious but I do have eyes and ears and although I don't believe Christians are treated with direct disrespect as such I do believe that certain other religions do get their way a lot more when it comes to political correctness=influence=power e.c.t at least here in England anyway.

Heh, mind you, it does only seem to be you Christians knocking at my door trying to convert me (I'm unconvertable when it comes to religion, I wish they could read minds so they knew) so maybe that sort of thing should stop and you may get more respect. (that last comment was mostly tongue in cheek b.t.w.
)

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

Reading the posts on the first page reminds me of the Nazi agenda and their hate towards Jews... only this time round it seems everyone is against Christians... or is it just the Muslims against Christians? Mind you... they are against the Jews too... Who are the new Nazi's?

We have the rise of right-wing parties also... who will win out?

[edit on 2-4-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by expat2368

I suggest you use the word "Catholic" when you are referring to priest pedophiles. There are a whole mess of us Christians that are not a part of that mess and your brush is just a little too broad.

and he's real hard working on that painting, even starting with the broad strokes a few pages back.

from where I am standing Atheist just look kinda silly, possibly mostly youngsters who only need a little more education about history and the world we live in today.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkwind.
Heh, mind you, it does only seem to be you Christians knocking at my door trying to convert me

is this all you guys got ? I mean "knocking at my door" you've got to be #ting me because we all know that went out with the 70's. The Atheist keep saying this over and over (I say big deal) all you guys broken record sounds like you are getting quite desperate because the arguments are rather weak and made to provoke anger.

they are knocking because they have something important to tell you, better than throwing you in a concentration camp or lopping off one of your hands to get you to submit !

unconvertable eh ? (we'll see about that)

[edit on 2-4-2010 by Cosmic.Artifact]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
come to think of it I am tired of all these 'Christian' western civilization Atheists.

where are all your southeast asian atheists or indian/hindu cultured atheists.

where are all your brothers ? is what I would like to know...

the christian atheists whole lives revolve/revolved around Christianity... your christian roots/culture gave you the life you had growing up, if they wanted to be true atheists that were not influenced or influenced minimally by it then why don't they just move away from it ?

if they don't like it they can leave it that is their free will but I really hope they stay so we can help save these poor bastids.

In my eyes you guys are Christians weather you like it or not... and nothing is going to negate the fact of your birth and culture unless you leave it... you only represent (or have) Doubt...

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
If the Christians would only organize an arsenal of lawyers to go after anyone that attempted to harass them they soon wouldn't have this problem anymore.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doctor Smith
If the Christians would only organize an arsenal of lawyers to go after anyone that attempted to harass them they soon wouldn't have this problem anymore.

lets not confuse Christianity with the judaism branch of the monothesis.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact

they are knocking because they have something important to tell you, better than throwing you in a concentration camp or lopping off one of your hands to get you to submit !

unconvertable eh ? (we'll see about that)

Something important to tell me? That's laughable, so, someone knocks at my door and starts telling me that a supernatural figure who is totally unproven to exist loves me just because you read it in a book writtten by men which has changed countless times and you say it's important? It's a joke is what it is. You know what? I wouldn't dream of knocking on people's doors trying to push my beliefs onto them and I think it should be made illegal, how about that then?

Yep, you can send one million of your brainwashed brainwashers to my door and you'll still get no-where.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Something important to tell me? That's laughable, so, someone knocks at my door and starts telling me that a supernatural figure who is totally unproven to exist loves me just because you read it in a book writtten by men which has changed countless times and you say it's important? It's a joke is what it is. You know what? I wouldn't dream of knocking on people's doors trying to push my beliefs onto them and I think it should be made illegal, how about that then?

Yep, you can send one million of your brainwashed brainwashers to my door and you'll still get no-where.

All you need is Love... -John Lennon

but what would atheists be doing with beliefs in the first place ?

By it's very nature atheism is not supposed to participate in this great debate because it shows acknowledgment of God. In fact the atheists in this thread are so drawn to it like some giant magnet because they have an inkling of a Doubt... (damn there's that word again)

[edit on 3-4-2010 by Cosmic.Artifact]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I totally agree with you.. except for the last sentence...

Religion has always been misused by people in power to attack unnecessary enemies for their LAND. Most wars are about land and resources under the guise of religion.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by expat2368

As a Catholic, I understand your views on this. Shall we, however, list the endless instances of Non-Catholic Christian Clergy sexual and criminal misbehavior?

I can provide a lengthy list, I assure you.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by Avamarguy]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Well, I guess you win then, eh sport?

Congrats.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

By it's very nature atheism is not supposed to participate in this great debate because it shows acknowledgment of God. In fact the atheists in this thread are so drawn to it like some giant magnet because they have an inkling of a Doubt... (damn there's that word again)

Ridiculous. Becoming an atheist does not mean one loses all awareness of the impact religion has in politics and society at large. I'm an atheist yet religion effects me.. for instance I'm annoyed that the pope isn't in prison but that does not mean I secretly believe in god.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

In my eyes you guys are Christians weather you like it or not... and nothing is going to negate the fact of your birth and culture unless you leave it... you only represent (or have) Doubt...

In my eyes most christians are in fact following older pagan religions when they celibrate easter and christmas.. even many of the saints were originally just demoted pagan deities. In a way I'm grateful that catholicism has kept some of my druid ancestors traditions intact (not forgetting the witch burnings).

happy spring equinox!

[edit on 3-4-2010 by riley]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

[edit on 3-4-2010 by Cosmic.Artifact]

Threads about Billy Meier are very interesting. No doubt in my mind he is a fraud.
Threads about John Hutchison are very interesting. There is no doubt in my mind that he is a fraud.
A thread about a religious nut trying to turn a sensible policy into discrimination against his religion is very interesting. There is no doubt in my mind there is no god.

It is fun to watch the excuses and dismissals though.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I think riley has made a very good point. There are things in our life that we may not believe in, but these thing still have the power to affect how we live or what we choose to believe. This gives us the right to comment on these things and just mentioning them does not acknowledge that we believe in them. Sometimes you can only use words that other people understand when you are trying to communicate ideas.

[edit on 3/4/2010 by Dark Ghost]

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join