It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: U.S. will 'consider abstaining' if UN votes on East Jerusalem

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   

US will 'consider abstaining' if UN votes on East Jerusalem

www.haaretz.com

The United States would "seriously consider abstaining" should the United Nations Security Council pass a resolution condemning Israel's housing construction in East Jerusalem, the BBC reported on Sunday.

That message was passed during a meeting between a senior U.S. official and Qatari Foreign Minister Hamad Bin Jasim Al Thani, a diplomatic source told the BBC.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-3-2010 by Mdv2]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I have mixed feelings when reading this. On one hand, it is very good news that the US seems to move away from allowing Israel to behave lawlessly, but on the other hand I reckon that Netanyahu is a huge threat to the security of the Israeli state.

This madman has obviously overplayed his hand and he's working hard to damage the strong bond with its closest ally.

Probably, the Pentagon has become politically involved too and is pressuring the White House as well to move into a different direction.

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

www.haaretz.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28/3/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
How great would it be if we did in fact, not veto this. I'm glad this is being done, and I really hope we stick up for the principles and help pass this. Israel needs a clear message from us that their behavior isn't going to fly and this could be the first step in showing them that. Let them know they can't be running around acting crazy anymore. Now, to N. Korea...

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

I have to say that this is highly doubtful'. Is this meaningful in any way? Will the UN actually do anything about it? If it is important we will vote pro-Israel.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

i would pay to see this
then again at the last minute Britain would come in and say the resolution is to anti semetic and Pow Veto

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
I have mixed feelings when reading this. On one hand, it is very good news that the US seems to move away from allowing Israel to behave lawlessly, but on the other hand I reckon that Netanyahu is a huge threat to the security of the Israeli state.

This madman has obviously overplayed his hand and he's working hard to damage the strong bond with its closest ally.

Probably, the Pentagon has become politically involved too and is pressuring the White House as well to move into a different direction.

Netanyahu is a puppet like any other. Sure, he is a radical far-right wing politician, but that is the current nature of the entire administration in Israel. It is madness - to be elected, you have to prove to the pack that you are the most extreme! The impression I get is that Netanyahu is more moderate than he appears, but will never EVER make a policy decision that offends the far-right cabinet.

This is very very interesting news. The Palestinians can attest more than anybody on the planet, that the occasional jousting between Israel and the US has been superficial at best ever since the Israel lobby (in the US) achieved critical mass in the 60s. The small arguments are hyped by the media, to give the impression that our respective foreign policies are not quite as intertwined as they really are.

But behind the curtain, The US has always voted in favor of Israel during any UN fiasco like the Goldstone report, supported each and every military endeavor, downplayed all criticism - sometimes destroying careers and reputations in the process, provided lucrative economic trade options, generously sold them any arms from our vast arsenal, provided outrageous aid, and turned a blind eye to their unprecedented spying and espionage programs conducted on our own soil.

Could this be changing? If so, why? It is no secret that governments are slaves to the central banks that finance them. And after reading that thread about the "Bank for International Settlements", it seems that our central banks themselves operate under a "central bank for central banks". I'd rather not wade too far into speculative territory, but perhaps these controllers have decided that it is time for Israel to self-destruct.

It's been clear to me from closely following Israel's foreign policies, that something is not right in that country. I get the impression they have been TRYING to destroy themselves. With a country that small, and with no distinct allies nearby, the STUPIDEST thing they could do would be to implement a policy of continuous degradation and dehumanization of their Arab neighbors. And when they finally are met with violent resistance, instead of quelling the dispute, they push even harder.

Maybe they could get away with that 50 years ago. But in this day and age, Israel knows better than anyone that just ONE nuclear weapon, even a low-yield dirty bomb, could end their nation in one instant. What do they do? They push EVEN HARDER on their neighbors!

Does this sound like the actions of people who care about their national security? Not to me. And when I frame it in the light of international banks, it seems that Israel is intended to fall.

Back to the OP, I doubt the US will actually abstain from vetoing the UNSC resolution, but it will take considerable Israeli pressure. The Israel lobby is perhaps slowly losing its grip, but is still probably the most powerful lobbying group in the US.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Great news!

I won't hold my breath however.

Another poster brought a good point that I want to dig my teeth into.

i would pay to see this
then again at the last minute Britain would come in and say the resolution is to anti semetic and Pow Veto

This is a very likely scenario if the US wants to save face AND please Israel all in one fell swoop.

I'm sure America still has some unclaimed favors from the British Government, no doubt the UN as well.

We'll have to wait and see.

Although I'm pretty sure the story will be trumped for the likes of Tiger Woods.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by illusive man
reply to post by Mdv2

i would pay to see this

Umm I would recommend you read up on history.

Start with this:

British Mandate of Palestine

Then ask yourself why there is a "loose" Immigration policy in the UK for Palestinians. The same goes with Israel and the USA.

-Kdial1

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I doubt this, the Israelis have infiltrated all of the US Gov.

Secondly I think we all do wish that the gods chosen people finally get what is coming.

I do understand these views will not be popular here with half of ADL as members, but hey that is life , right?

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdial1

reply to post by Mdv2

i would pay to see this

Umm I would recommend you read up on history.

Start with this:

British Mandate of Palestine

Then ask yourself why there is a "loose" Immigration policy in the UK for Palestinians. The same goes with Israel and the USA.

-Kdial1

Hello,
Thanks for the link.
What I gather is that the British aren't likely to give their backs to Israel, to stab again...

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanko
I doubt this, the Israelis have infiltrated all of the US Gov.

Secondly I think we all do wish that the gods chosen people finally get what is coming.

I do understand these views will not be popular here with half of ADL as members, but hey that is life , right?

Hello,
I wonder how many US representatives have studied-up on the history of British/Israel.

I hope the majority wise-up and wash their hands...

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

most are very well aware as they are israelis infiltrators

www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

You got it

Second line

-Kdial1

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Personally I am very doubtfull the US will abstain.. however my concerns if the US does abstain is that it will give those voices in Israel the opportunity to drive for the action they are seeking on certain issues, such as Iran.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
Personally I am very doubtfull the US will abstain.. however my concerns if the US does abstain is that it will give those voices in Israel the opportunity to drive for the action they are seeking on certain issues, such as Iran.

I, too, doubt they would actually do it, but threatening alone would be a very clear signal to Israel that it should stop messing around with the US as well as to stop sabotaging the peace debate.

FEARS have grown in Israel that the United States is considering removing its UN Security Council veto to any resolutions critical of the country's handling of the housing issue in East Jerusalem.

Israel's "forum of seven" ministers, an inner cabinet chosen by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, is scheduled to meet for the third time in five days tomorrow to try to reach a compromise on Washington's demands for restarting talks with the Palestinians.

The talks are supposed to culminate in the release of a joint document of understanding that will be given to President Barack Obama. The document is supposed to include goodwill gestures towards the Palestinians.

....snip....

Israeli officials have been unable to obtain an official response from the White House to the BBC report, but an aide to Mr Netanyahu said last night the report was exaggerated.

"No such decision has been taken by the United States, the aide said. ''The Security Council is not even considering any resolutions against Israel to do with East Jerusalem.''

But another government official quoted in the daily newspaper Yedioth Ahronoth did not rule out such a possibility, and said the threat was constantly being raised behind the scenes. In a conference call on Sunday, that included all Israel's ambassadors abroad, serious concerns were raised that further weakening of Israel's standing will be expressed in condemnation resolutions the European Union is considering.

source

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

There is a lot going on behind the scenes, and although the threat might be no more than a threat, I do feel the hawks inside Israel are lapping that up.

I have noticed marked increase in anti-American sentiments within the comments section of a number of Israeli articles... the type of comments usually reserved for us Brits
and usualy eminating from the armchair brigade.

My fear is that if the US does back off, even a little it will untie the hands of the hawks to demand the action they appear to be seeking..

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

yeah, even so Most vetos have been used by britain in favor of the US
and the PM and his dogs seem to say the same reasons.

to biased against israel or its anti semetic

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

After Mossad used fake British passports to murder someone and an Israeli "diplomat" was expelled from the country last week?

Nope...don't think so.....

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
After Mossad used fake British passports to murder someone and an Israeli "diplomat" was expelled from the country last week?

Nope...don't think so.....

one diplomat expelled
even after that the MPs were on TV stressing how close and lovey dovey britain is with isreal and how its important to britsih intrests.

also the Israelis were doing the same with how close britain and israel are.

one diplomat? so what it was more of a show then to mean something serious.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by illusive man

How many diplomats has Britain publically expelled in the last ten years?

Believe me, it was serious.

I can see an abstention on the cards from the UK as well. That would make things really interesting.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join