It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I Left NASA: A Curiosity of Spirit

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by AstroEngineer

OK....not gonna slam anyone, it's just a nice round twenty pages, and I was waiting for the 100 Flag-threshold to be broken....so splashing on into the pool, here.

Now, having waded through what the OP has written, is there anyone with a short synopsis? For clarity?

Been difficult to ascertain A) The point, and B) "WHY" he left NASA, exactly. Since that is in the title....

Saw a little ditty about FTL communications, but that was offered by other posters, and not the OP? OR, did I miss it?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

In short his friend from nasa JPL was testing the rover with commands , it ignored these and they checked the RAM and Flash memory to determine why it failed to execute certain move commands, so they dumped the memory in specific areas where they reckon the code could reveal the cause of the ignore!

Turns out there is some extra code in there which wasnt part of the original spec requirements , they thought it was redundant code left over from test phases , but it turns out the code was being executed and either transmitting or recieving data , or so I gather !

He hasnt provided an answer as to what its doing exactly or why he left NASA !

correct me if im wrong

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I now feel there is sufficient data to form an opinion on this matter. I do not feel there is enough proof either way, but I can tell you guys that this seems to be a sincere story. I will elaborate on why.

I myself am an engineer. I have been in the Aerospace industry for the last 14 years. I can tell you that this person is definitely an engineer in the aerospace industry. Based on his terminology and more importantly the word usage and order. This does not mean the story is true, I am simply telling you guys I believe his credentials.

I will NEVER talk about what projects I work with or WHO I work with for security reasons. This is another reason I believe AstroEngineer's credentials. The way he speaks about security which is exactly the same scenarios I must deal with.

Last, the story is going in a direction I thought it would from the beginning. I feel that a random person posting on THIS conspiracy site would generate a more grandiose tale. This is not the case. The story is littered with techno details, which I am able to follow BTW, and offers little to the quick fix conspiracy crowd. In the end I believe that this story will point to even more questions about what is really going on with NASA and our tax dollars.

I hope that this will at least stave off some of the constant doubters out there. Please don't take this as a verification of the story being told. It would be impossible to do that EVER without being involved.

That being said, I think there have been enough comments regarding how this story is either BS or not BS. That horse is dead, move on whichever side of the fence you are on. Lets discuss the content of the story and not worry about the veracity of it until the end comes. True or untrue, it is still a fun and interesting story.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by timewalker
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

Can people not see what is going on here? We have been divided, and fighting with each other on this forum for how many days?? Who cares what he can or can't prove - let's leave that up to him. But fighting amongst each other is called "dividing and conquering" - If that's his motive, well then he's done a good job!

You should practice what you preach.

What exactly is that?? Freedom of speech? Openness to worldly views? Or should I remain in the darkness, and NOT express my freedom of intellectualism?

BTW - Did YOU read the rest of my post?? Obviously not...
[edit on 30-3-2010 by TortoiseKweek]

[edit on 30-3-2010 by TortoiseKweek]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparkofdivine

In response to your post--

My self and others have expressed that they doubt the OP's sincerity. I don't think we have an egregious personal agenda.

Let me explain why some would want to call-out a poster for potential fakery.

Most folks who come to these boards have an interest in uncommon/generally "not respected" topics such as UFO's, various conspiracy theories, cryptozoology, etc. Many of us who enjoy these topics are the subject of ridicule by others. Also, there are people who enjoy toying with us "fringe" types. I, and many others, have been let down by the MANY hoaxers on ATS. We are all seeking truthful, enlightening information. It angers many that some would come to these boards simply to make fun of the subject matter that we are interested in.

Does it serve a purpose to RESPECTFULLY say, and without personal attacks, "I think the O.P. is being dishonest because of reason x,y,z"? I say YES it does serve a purpose. There have been times when readers of a thread have been strung along, and have a lot of emotion invested in the so-called "truth" that a poster is offering. And, by bringing up potential flags of a hoax, the O.P. has admitted to being a hoaxer!

So, the only egregious personal agenda I have in pointing out a potential hoaxer, is that I don't wish others to experience the emotional let-downs I have had in the past.

Is it my business to safeguard anyone from getting their feeling hurt? No, and I can accept that.

But I also don't like the fact that there are those who enjoy spending their free time trying to con others.

There's my 2 cents...

The most intelligent post i have read in 21 pages of this thread .. and yes i have posted myself a few time on the skeptical side of this thread.

we need opposing views to thrash out the details that IS what makes ATS great

I hold no one any animosity , even when they said i was an idiot or out to discredit just for fun.

Without the two extremes on both sides we would not find the true middle together .. this is were the real truth lies.

Peace!

QS

[edit on 30/3/10 by Quantum_Squirrel]

[edit on 30/3/10 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Spirit Warrior 11:11

Nice to have your perspective, it helps a bunch.

As 'Sapien" summarized, above...that was basically what I thought I had read, wasn't sure if there were more details I had missed.

SO...it comes down to some programming in the software ('ghost in the machine'??) that was not specified in the original, but seems to be there now?

How significant could that be? Not knowing full details, of course, so it might be a stab in the dark....and don't want to put you on the spot.

So, a different approach --- any ideas as to how MUCH so-called "secret" programming could have been slipped in (for whatever purposes), not revealed to the active engineers/operators, and gone unnoticed for the last SIX years, until now?

And, is there ample memory available for this "rogue" software?

Personally, I would have thought the mission parameters in design constraints would have been very tight, in terms of space (size) and weight.

Further, they assertion has been made regarding a possible (secret) alternate communication method, possibly FTL. That begs the question, to my mind, "Then how is this (secret) technology going unnoticed? There should have to be some sort of antenna, other transmitter device, something, right?"

That bumps us back to where we started --- something unnoticed, and extraneous (excess size and weight, again...).

Are these valid questions?

May have to wait for OP to answer...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

Well I will only reply once because you ask. I really dont want to take part in the derailing of this thread.

I leave a comment to the OP unrelated to you in anyway and you reply:

Excuse me Timewalker, he's given nothing away! So how does that hurt his chances of a book? If he EVER decides to publish 1? I am waiting for an update from him, as are many here.

BTW - I'm not against the man, I'm merely hoping he can supply us with good info

Just sounded like you were the one trying to divide. I see this as the problem with this thread, too many people complaining about the man.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Actually some of those questions are quite good. It is a curiosity I hold as well. The hardware and software for projects which cost millions of dollars and thousands of man hours are VERY controlled. There is some compartmentalization but to what extent cannot be known. In that case I can only speak from my experience in the industry on government funded projects. There is ample oversight monetarily, but the hardware and software specs are left to design engineers.

It is extremely odd that a 'ghost' communication system could go unnoticed. If that is truly the case. This is why I am interested in the story. I am very curious to know how this actually happened in the first place. NASA seems to be HIGHLY compartmentalized. I find that fact in itself to be quite a surprise. I cannot think of a reason to have such secrecy. The only justification I can think of secrecy wise has to do with satellite capabilities. This is not exactly what we are discussing here. Furthermore, it seems NASA is more secretive than they need to be. At least that is true IF they have been telling us the truth. If they have not been telling us the truth then the secrecy is obviously justified.

The bottom line is that I think NASA is simply behaving very strangely. This is in no way a form of proof, but what would you think about a person who is acting very strangely and openly secretive in your office. You would definitely raise an eyebrow and wonder what the heck that person is into...wouldn't you?

AstroEngineer seems to be eluding to technology that we are not supposed to have. FTL communications is technically not possible...YET. This seems to be going in the direction of quantum communication. I would be EXTREMELY disappointed in NASA if they are hiding this technology because it could help so many people were it available. Let me put it to you this way. There would be instant clear communications for those on the battlefield in trouble. Those on the moon or in orbit could communicate immediately with mission control. If you were lost in the wilderness you would be able to reach help. And for all you AT&T users, no more dropped calls. I am embellishing a bit but based on the statements made so far about extremely low power requirements that seems to be somewhat realistic. And for you ATS nerds (kidding)....how about communication with ET from their home planet? Thank you FTL/Quantum communications. I really hope NASA is truly not hiding this from us. We could do a lot of good with the technology with no risk to our national security.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

I get the references to FTL, in terms of (perhaps one day) having a real-time communication ability across light years (or even light-hours, within our own Solar System)...and the practicality of that.

However, even Earth-Moon delay times are so insignificant as to be hardly a problem in rapidity of communication. AND, any battlefield comms, round-trip to a geostationary SAT? Even shorter. SO, I see no need for FTL, in practical terms, to improve local comms, here on Earth.

There is a Science Fiction author (I will look it up, hang --- Ursula K. Le Guin) who "invented" a device called an 'ansible'. For her stories.

One definition of ansible from popular Science Fiction.

Just a bit of intermission fun facts, here, whilst waiting for the return of our intrepid former NASA engineer.....

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AstroEngineer

Astro-

I'll say this- you've struck a chord with the membership in your short time on ATS. Every once in awhile someone new comes on here and gets the community buzzed up, and you sir have done just that...perhaps it's because there might actually be some "real truth" to what you're claiming... Although I can't dismiss the possibility that your just storytelling for kicks... it's happened before.

Either way, I am intrigued by your story and am giving you the benefit of the doubt. I'll probably be considered gullible and stupid for that, but who cares really... it'll be coming from those who take this site and themselves way too seriously.

Whether you're for real or not, your story is a good one and has been entertaining to follow thus far IMO. You seem like an intelligent person with manners and haven't given me any real reason to disbelieve you...plus it's refreshing to have something interesting to read on here...

Having said that, it's a damn shame how rude some members can be around here, and for no damn reason, when someone new brings a story like this to the table. You haven't actually claimed anything all that sensational (like ufos or aliens), yet you're already being branded a fraud...

Let the man tell his story people, before you go tripping all over your egos... and quit acting like you're owed the truth when you're already standing and wallowing in a pool of deceit...

Lighten up

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

"Further, they assertion has been made regarding a possible (secret) alternate communication method, possibly FTL. That begs the question, to my mind, "Then how is this (secret) technology going unnoticed? There should have to be some sort of antenna, other transmitter device, something, right?"

I'm not sure conventional thinking regarding antenna's applies to FTL communication systems....

Assuming the thread does head in the direction of radical communication devices I'd be looking suspiciously at the NSA (hello eschalon! we know your listening) and the work that they may or may not have done on quantum cryptography and quantum computing. More specifically I've long wondered if the "spooky quantum entanglement effect" of paired particles or devices can be shown to act instantaneously and hence FTL (NB quantum effects once thought to exist only in the domain of atoms are being observed in ever larger objects).

I have no idea of the size or power requirements for such a device but i'm certain due to its method of operation, no antenna would be required. Co-incidentally this form of communication would be impossible to eavesdrop on.

As to why a mars rover would need an undetectable communication system (undetectable in terms of signal emmissions at least). A system which acts instantaneously and therefore gives "somebody" a 21 minute head start in analysing the data (compared to the same data sent back to the public mission control at the speed of light via conventional radio) is an interesting question....

I remember a LIVE TV show in the UK which aired on a friday night. This show was rather.... "unpredictable?" and developed a bad reputation with the more conservative members of the UK population. To appease the "moral minority" (and stay on air) the live show was aired with an 8 second delay so any extreme language or nudity could be bleeped or fuzzed out. Maybe NASA had a similar idea for Mars Rovers?

Personally I wouldn't expect bad language or nudity on mars... hmmm? what a silly mistake?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

You are correct about the time involved. I am talking about POWER requirements. Power at this time is directly related to signal strength.

So we are talking about not just instant communications, but crystal clear comms with extremely thin or light weight design. Our electronics would shrink immeasurably. Remember the battery pack you used to have to carry around with the first car phones? Well, imagine that what we have today is like carrying that thing around instead of what it could be. Power and cooling seem to be some of the biggest obstacles in the engineering of miniaturized electronics. If we could use less battery, more optics, and generate less heat then we would have technology which could be worn on the body or clothing which would almost be unnoticed until you need to use it.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Regarding the "who" and in the spirit of conspiracy, I find this post from a one-post new member quite titillating:

Originally posted by Trafalgar1805
Faster than light communication is possible, as is energy transmission using the same technique, and I know what's it's being used for, in the case of the rover.

This device downloads to Earth all the images that the rover has taken in an imaging session. Angelos (a murderous, global, secret male-only society related to the Roman Catholic Church) then examine the photographs. They look for indications of evidence of life, which they don't want you to know about...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm still on the fence and hoping this isn't one of these:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5ef0c5b2c9f2.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I do hear all that has been said from both the skeptics and those that would like to think this is more than highly technical short story. Being an engineer and having done a lot of software in commercial and defense world it has a ring of truth at least from the debugging point of view. I cannot comment on FTL aspect. However, from the aspect of a secret transmisson) I found it quite interesting. One would think the next installment would include what was being tranmitted and specifically to whom.

Since it is the rover I have trouble thinking the transmissions would be any kind earth shattering pictures- but who knows. Where do you fellow ATS'rs think it is going? How about photos of something in Martian sky?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
nothing but creative writing with aspects of truth sprinkled around to make it half believable. A true whistle blower would not wait this long and would have said what they wanted to say in one post. Whoever started this piece is simply waiting for the lot of you reading this story to come up with the plot and they will run with that idea.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd
nothing but creative writing with aspects of truth sprinkled around to make it half believable. A true whistle blower would not wait this long and would have said what they wanted to say in one post. Whoever started this piece is simply waiting for the lot of you reading this story to come up with the plot and they will run with that idea.

I agree.

If I were the OP and this WERE true, I would of posted it all at once.

I mean, why post something like this in drips and drabs? When you post like this, doesn't it send flags up to TPTB, and doesn't it give them time to take it down? Even more evidence of a hoax.

Come on, OP. Stop making yourself look bad. If you're for real, get it out there already.

No S&F from me until we see some meat and potatoes.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Can you guys just shut up and let him finish?

Geez, how childish. Jumping to conclusions like little animals.

You should be ashamed to be a part of site which CLAIMS to "deny ignorance"

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
sure this guy isnt showing his work or even what they found, and hey maybe it is just some joke. he said 24 hours he would repley untill that time is up no one should talk ill of someone they do not know. saying they are a lack of a person only wishing to feed thier ego, but what does that say about you guys?

so quite to judge on others, why not judge yourselves for a minute?
and if that time comes up and he doesnt have any proof or even finsh his story then just ingore him

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I agree .I was a telecommunications engineer in a former life, and I too saw nothing wrong with his in-depth process description, it was like anyone of many conversations I've had with colleagues in the past discussing projects or faults.
I also found the conspiracy side of it intriguing as well as the technical aspect interesting and was looking forward to see where it would go .
However I am not going to wade through pages of irrelevant and rude posts to try to keep up, and as with many, feel annoyed that the info wasn't just posted and the thread completed so won't bother with it anymore.
It has become somewhat "novel" in appearance and I only read non fiction myself.Shame really, seemed like something decent to chew on at ats in the midst of everything else.

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22 >>

join