It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I Left NASA: A Curiosity of Spirit

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotAgain
reply to post by mckyle

Sorry but I can see the OP walking due to the negative comments against him.

I was trying to even the battlefield, my bad

Well at least I'm honest

I understand your concern, and I too don't want the OP to walk - IF - he does indeed have something substantial to share with us! It's a big "if" though. At least, that's how I see it.

But, I understand your passion and concern. I've been guilty of it more than once

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

what UTTER TWADDLE

is that the level of " thinking " you are employing nowadays ???

the skeptics are silent - it must be true ???????????

and if they had posted anything - another idiot would have made the claim :

wow the paid disinfo skeptica are out in force - it must be true

dont believe me ? - i can link to multiple threads where that very claim has been made

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I call for the moderators to temporally close the thread until the OP U2U's the moderators to let them know when he has finished writing. Edit: And posted evidence to them about his work at NASA e.g. Payslip, Letters.... so forth.

Because it will nail the Yellowstone topic for pages at this rate, with more ignores than ATS servers ever planned for.

Just Saying.........

[edit on 29-3-2010 by NotAgain]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
You people will believe anything.

Entertaining thread, but it should be filed under 'F' for Fiction.

[edit on 29-3-2010 by DocEmrick]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Having worked as a computer engineer years for 25 years in the automotive,biomedical, computer and defense industries.

The OP, ASTRO is, as most if not all engineers are, which is very detail oriented.

You really have to be in this line of work. Specifically in embedded systems where you are dealing with not only software issues but hardware issues as well.

Nothing against the OP, but most people here on ATS haven't an interest in in the details pertaining to software debugging methods though unfortunately.

On the other hand, I feel that ASTRO was using his long winded description of the internals of the Rover code to demonstrate his knowledge of the Rover And thereby contributing to the background and viability of his story perhaps?

But in Looking at where we potentially are going with this story.

One of the major recruiters seeking electrical/computer engineer grads on US Engineering school campuses is none other than the CIA.

NASA is simply another govt bureaucracy working for the CIA and NSA.

Having worked on several govt projects, the F-22 being one of them.
Everything is compartmentalized on a need to know basis.

So if the CIA/NSA requested a back door into the Rover and a means of censoring it's images before they were transmitted, the software engineer Rich or ASTRO wouldn't necessarily be informed of it.

I agree with trafalgar that this story is most likely going to boil down to the CIA/NSA screening all images being transmitted down from the Rovers which wouldn't surprise any of us here on ATS, actually.

Now if the hacker were an Martian/Extraterrestrial, now that would be intriguing !

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by mckyle

Im sorry guys, but I have to second the general consensus.

I read through all that and no damn ending?!

I understand how long it takes to make a quality post. Thats why I have yet to produce one.

But, the attention span of most people on this site is about as long as it takes for someone else to post "UFO over China", or "False Flag attack Imminent!!!" There are many good posts that garner attention on this site, and people like myself who have a limited amount of time I can spend on ATS have to choose carefully which threads to become entangled in.

I hate to say it, but the way this thread ended totally reminds me of the typical UFO discloser, ( History Channel, Famous individuals etc...)
Saying just enough to get you interested, then promising some type of revelation, then saying " well if you REALLY want to know what happened you'll have to stay tuned..."

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
i have one comment - why are you using the psydonym " rich " for your aleged friend / colegue - when any one with a brain cell who worked at NASA the JPL or the US security services could discern his / her true identity in seconds

hint - how many people have requiested memory dumps from the spirit probe ??

PS - if this " fact " is a fabrication - an alleged further obsfucation to protect your self anf this alleged " rich " person - then your entire story falls apart at the seams

so which is it ????????????????????

this is troubling to me as well. Not only what you said but didn't he also state that "Rich" was the project manager for one of those projects. Do you know how easily it would be to ascertain who this is simply by going through the cornucopia of hints and information given in AstroEngineer's story?

Unless 1. he is smarter than we think and intentionally placed misleading information about himself AND "Rich". That's what I'd do. If I worked for NASA and blew the whistle, I'd write "Well hello, my name is John I have 3 kids, one in college and I live in CA" and all that information like the 3 kids would be lies to intentionally throw someone off my trail so who knows if AstroEngineer is clever enough to have done that.

2. perhaps "Rich" is no longer working for NASA either and so he doesn't really give a rat's ass in them finding out who he really is though he would prefer not to make it overt if can be done with minimal effort.

3. This whole story is a crock of ####. Amazingly well written though. No typical hoaxster, this is someone with a genuine computer/engineer degree at the least, and someone who's extensively studied the Rover tech specs.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by 911stinks
Seems to me like AstroEngineer is trying to tell us someone is reviewing the pics coming back from space, either to protect the fact that TPTB already have space vehicles/installations out there, or, there are other craft, other beings.

TPTB would want to make sure one of these pics didn't slip past them.

Since the thumbnail takes less bandwidth, it would reach earth first, before the real picture, allowing for real time damage control.

[edit on 29-3-2010 by 911stinks]

Absolutely what I'm thinking. Thumbnails are far smaller in size and it seems someone is reviewing all the pics to first see which ones should be allowed out in public prior to the real super high resolution ones coming in.

So once the thumbnails are reviewed, if there's anything "anomalous" that the government doesn't want the public to see, they simply cancel the transmission on the full scale picture coming through, etc.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteDevil013

I understand how long it takes to make a quality post. Thats why I have yet to produce one.

Don't let that stop you: It doesn't stop anyone else!

Originally posted by WhiteDevil013
I hate to say it, but the way this thread ended totally reminds me of the typical UFO discloser, ( History Channel, Famous individuals etc...)

Indeed! It's reminiscent of the commercial lead-ins by History Channel et al:
"Coming up, shocking video of a Martian fornicating with a Rover!"
Or similar.

;-)

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by rufusdrak
Do you know how easily it would be to ascertain who this is simply by going through the cornucopia of hints and information given in AstroEngineer's story?

Spot on!

So one has to ask: would a NASA employee be that stupid?

I doubt it very much.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

3. This whole story is a crock of ####. Amazingly well written though. No typical hoaxster, this is someone with a genuine computer/engineer degree at the least, and someone who's extensively studied the Rover tech specs.

well you sure give him a lot of credit on his writing skills...

everything he talks about (Rover tech specs, etc...) can be found out in a matter of minutes using google. there is nothing out of the ordinary on the rover as far as electronics go, all components have been around for a very long time, once again, google is your friend for that matter!

just because he throws in some very basic stuff about technology, suddenly he's an engineer....

even the thing about cosmic rays being responsible for data loss... people know this for quite some time now. the computer industry makes chips that come with quantum error correcting code (en.wikipedia.org...)... graphics card tycoon NVIDIA incorporated it in it's latest chip, the GF100.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Hey Astro

My offer still stands. I imagine your still in the central florida region, perhaps near melbourne/cocoa area...how about you and I meet up for a brief spotcheck of your badge to prove you worked for NASA...you can black tape over your name, etc...and I will simply come back and give a yes or no answer as to if its confirmed...no descriptions, no departmental numbers, nothing...just a confirmation of your credentials.

Why:

Skeptics will simply assume your just a hoaxer using ATS as little more than a creative writing experiment

Believers will wonder if what you say is honest also considering every other month we have a nasa dude come forward..often found later on that there is no evidence of this.

I know in your original thread you said your not coming forward for anyones benefit and you made it pretty clear you really dont care who believes you...your simply speaking out for your own personal salvation..but, I think being established to begin with as a trusted "source" will go much further in the Q&A dialog to begin with, which will help you meet your goals.

let me know...you can U2U me if you want. Not sure if you will read this due to post overload..hopefully you will come across it though.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Good plan (and offer)
but you are going under the assumption that we would all believe you too.

(no offense)

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by bladebosq

well you sure give him a lot of credit on his writing skills...

everything he talks about (Rover tech specs, etc...) can be found out in a matter of minutes using google. there is nothing out of the ordinary on the rover as far as electronics go, all components have been around for a very long time, once again, google is your friend for that matter!

just because he throws in some very basic stuff about technology, suddenly he's an engineer....

even the thing about cosmic rays being responsible for data loss... people know this for quite some time now. the computer industry makes chips that come with quantum error correcting code (en.wikipedia.org...)... graphics card tycoon NVIDIA incorporated it in it's latest chip, the GF100.

yes but at the least the terminology proves he's a computer software expert/engineer. Can you define a HASH for me? Do you know what a PARSER does? I sure as hell don't.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by AstroEngineer
The code dumped from the rover included function calls referring to a device accessed via the VME interface (similar to a computer's PCI slot) which Rich did not know about.

(continued)

[edit on 28-3-2010 by AstroEngineer]

Intriguing thread so far. I look forward to the next post by AE. S&F!

Also, excuse my ignorance but while we're speculating, what could access a device from the VME interface? Are we talking about a program/ sofware accessing it or some sort of physical interaction?

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
There are a couple points that people here are missing I think.

First, why is there so much secrecy with a mission so basic as this?
The mission of Mars Exploration Rover is geology. This is supposed to be the only mission other than a small meteorologic survey. Why is there a need for a secret radio. Who is controlling and receiving the data. And what the heck kind of data requires a secret radio?

How did the hardware get there without the engineers knowing? It looks like a hardware and a software engineer are the ones finding this and they had no prior knowledge.

These types of things are real eyebrow raisers. Richard Hoagland can get a little 'crazy' in my book when he theorizes, but the strange practices NASA undertakes DOES raise eyebrows. Why all the secrecy? If NASA's official story that there is no life or anything else interesting within our solar system is true, then why the secrecy? Why do we have encrypted communications? Why the obviously doctored photos in some cases? Why and HOW in the heck did we lose so much of the data from the moon landing?

This AstroEngineer guy may be full of it. Hoagland may be full of it. BUT, the question remains ... why does NASA, a CIVILIAN space agency, act so secretive? If what they tell us is true, then there is NO REASON for secrecy. If there is nothing to hide secrets are worthless.

I don't believe or disbelieve any of these stories. There is too little data to truly determine the truth. One must rely on gut feeling in these cases and my gut says .....

NASA is hiding something.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

yes but at the least the terminology proves he's a computer software expert/engineer. Can you define a HASH for me? Do you know what a PARSER does? I sure as hell don't.

Here you go:

HASH is a bit sequence generated by a dispersion algorithm used to visualize numbers (hexadecimal), representing 1/2 a byte each. in other words it's a transformation of a big amount of data into a small amount of data.

A PARSER is a computer program that receives sequential data and breaks it up into parts to be used by other programs. A PARSER can also be used to check if all essential data for a specific program has been received.

Once again: GOOGLE!!!!

any person with a limited or basic understanding of computer technology can look that up within minutes and understand its meaning.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ukredstar

Think of the VME as the computer...well...it IS the computer. VME allows many different 'cards' to be inserted. These cards have their own processes each and interface with each other and the outside world via the VME backplane. Each card does it's own thing like .... datalink/telemetry, motion control, diagnostics/repair, one card will surely house the memory and power supply, etc...

VME is used for its versatility and universal design. It is standardized for the aerospace industry so that many different manufacturers can design specific cards to suit any number of needs.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Why are these life long skeptics on above top secret? The whole purpose of this forum is conspiracy/paranormal type things. To sit here and post a non-stop litany of negativity is the dumbest thing i've seen on the internet. If you want to debate things that are actually debatable, go waste your time on some other website.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by rich23
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

Sorry, sincere apologies.

I was being unnecessarily harsh... but the thread put me in that kind of mood, I'm afraid.

No worries I took no offense friend.

I find it to be amazing how many intolerant people grace the web. If I had to judge peoples character from the web alone, I wouldn't be very friendly either.

It has been said that people's web persona is different then who they really are. I find just the opposite. When people have the web to hide behind, it is then and only then you learn what people are really about. The show is outside on the streets. If you want to know what people are really like, take away the general responsibility of interaction and the courteousness that comes with it when dealing face to face. And people think there is only one God. They've never surfed the web...

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join