It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breastfeeding 'helps to boost IQ'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Breastfeeding 'helps to boost IQ'

This is an interesting article about the link between breast milk and intelligence. I always believed that the basic natural way to raise a child is always the best. I never believed in the chemical and artificial food provided to children today... I always believed that this is the basic cause of cancers and preventable diseases...

Any thoughts?

Keeping the peace,

Magnum

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Not to mention, the infant has only a vey basic immune system for the first few months, so the ,mother's IgA from breast milk helps them immensely.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnum007

I'm living proof of the benefits of natural breast milk, nad breastfeeding.

Not only on the possibility of intelligence improving for the child, but as mentioned, the transferrence of natural anti-bodies.

Of course, there is never a case where it's true every time, but it certainly is best, when possible.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by VneZonyDostupa
Not to mention, the infant has only a vey basic immune system for the first few months, so the ,mother's IgA from breast milk helps them immensely.

Yep! Couldn't agree more. The first 6 months of the baby's life is mostly protected by the antibodies in the mother's milk. That's also why they usually wait 6 months before vaccinations... Another subject altogether...

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by Magnum007

I'm living proof of the benefits of natural breast milk, nad breastfeeding.

Not only on the possibility of intelligence improving for the child, but as mentioned, the transferrence of natural anti-bodies.

Of course, there is never a case where it's true every time, but it certainly is best, when possible.

I was breastfed until a certain point because I was a late baby and my mother couldn't keep up with my "nutritional demands"...

I just believe that today everything that is "natural" is just not to "normal" anymore. It's not normal anymore for parents to kiss, hug, or discipline their kids... Breastfeeding, it seems to me, is the last frontier left...

Magnum

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
They don't say how much it boosts. If it is three points, that is not a huge difference.

I think what is important is the bond. The article is right, more affluent families are able to nurse, spend time with the children, and so on.

There is no one way to measure this.

I hears a staggering statistic the other day that among whites, bfing is up to 35%, but among the black community, it is only 8%. That is a huge discrepency, and one that needs to be addressed.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
surely the title should be "not breastfeeding lowers IQ"
since breastfeeding is what (as a mammal) you're supposed to do naturally?

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Yeh, Yeh. I don't think it matters. My children were not breast fed,
they are gifted honor students. Boiling the bottles and rubber nipples
and the formula definitely, without a doubt, kills all diseases and germs.
Nothing is more sanitary. None of my children got sick or allergies.
Breast feeding makes mothers feel more superior over other mothers and helps have the fat sucked off of them. Bottle feeding is more
socially appropriate in public and easier. Neither group is right or wrong, it is the longest controversy out there.
My sister in law was so pro breast feeding that at 38 her breasts weren't
producing enough milk and her child was not developing and was literally starving to death. She felt angry when the doctors told her to suppliment with formula feedings. She felt her self worth was endangered as a mother. I tell you people just get plain weird over this issue. No one can be all things to another.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
P.S.) Alot of people who were breast fed in the 1940s have died or are dying of cancer. Cancer comes from poor nutrition, being exposed to bad
chemicals, electromagnetic waves, stress, over worrying, over working, bad genetics, ect... My father died at 52 from cancer, was breast fed. Too many environmental factors go into cancer, breast feeding only gives the short term immunity..... otherwise don't take your child out in public and don't let just anyone breathe in it's face and touch it. I wouldn't take my kids anywhere the first two months.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I have breastfed all my children..some for a short time, because I needed to return to work..and some for a long time when I decided to stay at home.
I honestly don't believe the breastmilk itself is what makes your baby more intelligent or not.
Completely a silly study..
It is a combination of factors that contribute...
Many of them are listed here.
www.aboutintelligence.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by frugal
Bottle feeding is more socially appropriate in public and easier.

Socially appropriate??? A woman giving her baby breast milk in public is not socially appropriate??? But it's ok to give teenagers skirts and shirts that show their body parts, it's ok for people to be pretty much naked on TV... But it's not ok for a woman to FEED HER BABY in public???

What world are we living in???

Magnum

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Over the last 50 years, clinical reports and studies have consistently shown the same results: There are no advantages of bottle feeding for the baby.

For babies, the main advantages of breastfeeding are nutritional and immunological.

Here are some links with documentation on the benefits of breastfeeding:

www.womenshealth.gov...

www.llli.org...

www.cdc.gov...

www.who.int...

Mothers who plan to breastfeed can find a support network among non-profit groups with local branches, such as La Leche League International; the fee for a breastfeeding consultant is covered in most health insurance plans, when the mother has questions (such as whether there are any disadvantages of breastfeeding for the mother's own appearance or health, which there are not); since time immemorial, women have planned their pregnancies with other healthy female family members/friends to swap breastfeeding time to allow the new mother to go to urgent appointments and the like without their baby.

If you think that bottlefeeding is more convenient to the mother than breastfeeding, remember to factor in the increased illness rate of babies who are bottle fed... generally it's the mom who has to stay home from work with the sick kid, which will quickly use up your allowed sick leave. In addition, bottle feeding equipment has to be fully sterile...nothing convenient about the time and money involved in sterilizing procedures.

For mothers who are physically unable to breastfeed (extremely rare but it happens), nonprofit human milk banks are available. Homemade grain milk formulas that are recommended by some people as replacements or supplements for human milk are argued against by Lawrence Haruo Kushi, ScD, health researcher at Kaiser and a father himself, who says, "there is no substitute for mother's milk."

For arguments against breastfeeding, please include links (with documented studies) to back up your opinion.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Personally, I would have titled the article "Feeding our children contaminated formula that stores refused topull of shelves lowers IQ". But heh, maybe I am biased after yelling at a store manager with a news article in my hand showing the formula they had on the shelf was recalled.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
The next comment is that pumping and giving breastmilk is just as good.

It is better than formula.

However, the immunity factors are trigger by the contact of the babies mouth and saliva on the areola and nipple. That contact gives a woman's body the message of what is needed for the infant/toddler and then after a few minutes the woman's body starts making the immunity factors needed by the child and it goes to her breast milk.

The idea that women cannot "keep up" with the nutritional demands of infants is a farce. It is fed by our societies and is only true in a VERY small proportion of people. The problem is that the behaviour necessary for correct breastfeeding and the production of breastmilk is actively discourage in our societies. The information that leds to sucess is not only not known, but when given is rejected.

If so many women can not successfully breastfeed I would challenge you to think what would happen to those people if modern society fell.

They are essentially telling you that they do not have the basic minimum biological capacity to sustain their genetic line. There is an essential problem with their capacity for survival. This function is absolutely essential to survival - the lack of that capacity is a serious problem that under any other circumstances would mean that they could not propagate themselves. Every child they had outside of a modern society would DIE as an infant due to starvation.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Here is a story from the U.S. medical establishment about the need for greater numbers of new mothers to breastfeed their babies. Estimated lives of newborns saved are for the U.S. alone, so the global numbers will be much higher:

www.cbsnews.com...

top topics

join