It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Riddle me this, Atheists..

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost in the Machine
What unites Athiests?

I don't think atheists ARE united. Sure some feel that they are dedicated to the "truth" (THEIR truth). Some feel that it's their duty to abolish religion. Some feel they must become as visible as the various religions and "compete" with religion, etc.

But the ONLY thing that REALLY unites atheists is their lack of belief in a deity. That's it.
Otherwise, we are all very different, with different belief systems and lifestyles.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Retrovertigo

In my case it isnt a "belief", I know there is no god, therefore the label doesn't stick with me

So if I say I know there is a God, the label of pertaining to a religion doesn't stick with me either, whether or not it is a Christian God or Hindu God??

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Greetings....
...What unites Athiests?

I've heard it many times on ATS. "Atheism is not a religion!". Why unite then? What is your purpose of coming together? To share in your disbelief?

I am honestly puzzled by this question.

[edit on 28-3-2010 by Ghost in the Machine]

Hi Ghost,

"What unites Atheists"?

I would guess, a belief that there is no "God" or Divine Deity?
A belief that our universal history should be based on "proven" facts and evidencial science, rather than blind faith?
Common ground, so to speak. (Isn't that what unites all "groups" of people?)
With the added spice of there being a well defined group of people with the opposite opinion, to debate with!

(Please note that this is very different to simply sharing in disbelief!
In my experience, very few Atheists have an absence of belief. They simply believe in something other than a God or Divine Deity being the creative genius behind our universe!)

btw - I also think that many agnostics are incorrectly labelled as atheist because they don't display a religious belief.

I hope this helps to alleviate your puzzlement slightly?

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Portugoal
Well in uniting, are atheists not subject to be classified as religious pratitioners themselves? You don't need to believe in God to be part of a religion and atheists seem to have the fundamental belief that God does not exist (in fact, atheists need God in order to call themselves atheists but that's a different story).

So a question to atheists: Are you not part of a religion?

To be honest, I don't entirely understand what some of my fellow-Christians are trying to achieve, when they want to prove that atheism is a religion. I've seen that line frequently, on this site. Is the argument supposed to be "This, in itself, shows that atheism is illogical and should be abandoned"? If so, memory tells me that this sort of logical arm-twisting doesn't work. An atheist knows exactly what he means by the label he has adopted, and perhaps we should accept that self-definition and start from there.

[edit on 28-3-2010 by DISRAELI]

link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

What unites Athiests?
But the ONLY thing that REALLY unites atheists is their lack of belief in a deity. That's it.
Otherwise, we are all very different, with different belief systems and lifestyles.

Exactly. We are all free thinking individuals. Religious people are not. They are controlled by their religion. I work overseas in Algeria. The muslims here while being pleasant people are controlled. There's no way in hell (Excuse the Pun) they will eat pork or not pray 5 times a day or hear of anything pertaining to the possibility that there is no God.

They are CONTROLLED! I am not. I am a free thinking human being!

link   

Originally posted by Retrovertigo

In my case it isnt a "belief", I know there is no god, therefore the label doesn't stick with me

So if I say I know there is a God, the label of pertaining to a religion doesn't stick with me either, whether or not it is a Christian God or Hindu God??

Whether you choose to have the label apply to you is entirely up to you...I choose the label doesnt apply to me given I know there is no god...

That's my reality and how I live...

And of course, everyone's reality and how they live is very different

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Gordi The Drummer

So there is a common belief? Smells like religion

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Honestly, I'm not trying to disprove anything. I'm not even sure what I believe in. All I know is that atheism sounds like religion to me, so I don't like it when atheists bash religion becuase it's kind of contradictory to their entire belief. I don't get anything out of this. I just want to try and understand what atheists think about the entire thing.

Btw, if you've labelled yourself as atheist, than you would pertain to that belief system, whether or not you fully believe in all the fundamentals of that system. If you label yourself as Catholic or Baptist, same thing. I label myself as Catholic but definetly don't believe in every single Catholic ideal.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

reply to post by itchy_tartan_blanket

They have a common belief and gives them great material for philosophising or debate

Could you please elaborate on these 'common beliefs'? It would help out the discussion alot.

Star for the most ignorant statement of the day.

What I must ask is why do you care?

Most ignorant statement of the day? Tell me what it is ignorant about it and I'll think about elaborating. It appears you have missed the overall point of my post which tempts me to say that your counter-post was quite ignorant but I will keep that to myself.... oops.

You are asking what common beliefs atheists have...?

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by itchy_tartan_blanket

Ye, that doesn't really sound too ignorant to me considering other atheists have agreed with your statement.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Greetings.

Being a believer in a supreme being, I can understand why people of faith unite on ATS and throughout various parts of the world. The thing I can't seem to grasp to the fullest though is.

What unites Athiests?

I've heard it many times on ATS. "Atheism is not a religion!". Why unite then? What is your purpose of coming together? To share in your disbelief?

I am honestly puzzled by this question.

[edit on 28-3-2010 by Ghost in the Machine]

As a former believer of religion, I use to go to chruch when I was young(forced by my parents) but as I saw religion fight another religion on whos god is greater/real deal I felt in reality religion is what makes muslims fight isrealis, makes ghetto people of the world pray for something that never happens in their favor and other examples. I am a good person but not by the teachings of god because I have constant struggles with life and I remember that god does not feed your starving children, you do. God does not make you go to work, you do that on your own or die trying. You make things happen without the help of some powerful being coming straight to your door telling you the next day that you are going to die. The truth is what makes Athiests unite not as a group but as a way to get away from distractions of a greater being and focus on the real issues.

[edit on 28-3-2010 by Stop-loss!]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

I believe! that a common belief does not necessarily imply religion!
I believe that blue is a nicer colour than orange, many people do, but we're not religious about it!

btw - Atheism is a belief that there is no "God" or Divine Deity, not a belief that there is no religion!

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

no...religion controls peoples actions guided by a mythical beings teachings.

atheists do not believe in mythical beings...thus...atheists have only one creed to live by..."do onto others as you would have them do onto you"...simple, all-encompassing, no worship, no supreme being, no dogma.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
We don't need to use a religion to "come together" nobody does, your post confuses me, what is your actual point, religion doesn't bring you together with people, getting to know them and accepting them for what and who they are does, no matter of their race, religion, etc...
The year is 2010 my friend there is so social divide between christians, atheists and so on... i chill with anyone, you should try it some time

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Btw, if you've labelled yourself as atheist, than you would pertain to that belief system, whether or not you fully believe in all the fundamentals of that system.

Atheism doesn't have "fundamentals" and there is no "system". Atheist means ONE thing: There is no deity. That's it. There is no dogma, no handbook, no "ideals", no other belief system (like science)... nothing else.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

Great post!

my massive problem with christianity is as follows:

My mum is a great women, she would never harm anyone, she is kind, caring, funny, talented etc...
Yet in the veiw of a christian she will not reach "heaven" of some sort.
However if you take a serial killer/peaodophile/whatever, decides to "confess their sins" in the view of a christian they can be forgiven and reach "heaven"
This to me is total madness.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by stevcolx

What unites Athiests?

Exactly. We are all free thinking individuals. Religious people are not. They are controlled by their religion. I work overseas in Algeria. The muslims here while being pleasant people are controlled. There's no way in hell (Excuse the Pun) they will eat pork or not pray 5 times a day or hear of anything pertaining to the possibility that there is no God.

They are CONTROLLED! I am not. I am a free thinking human being!

Ok, so because I believe in God, I am not free thinking?

Way to group us all together. That post just goes to show, not how close minded I am, but how close minded you are..

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost in the Machine

to share in the disbelief of god. a common purpose

riddle me this: do true believers join religion because they are lonely or because they believe.

-sounds like you are trying to bash atheism under the lines mate

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Btw, if you've labelled yourself as atheist, than you would pertain to that belief system, whether or not you fully believe in all the fundamentals of that system.

Atheism doesn't have "fundamentals" and there is no "system". Atheist means ONE thing: There is no deity. That's it. There is no dogma, no handbook, no "ideals", no other belief system (like science)... nothing else.

Yes, true, and so many religious people do NOT get this. That you can live your life as a good person, doing good things for the community, your family and friends without a 'belief' in a supreme being. I focus on the real issues at hand and get busy trying to do my bit to help. I have both Christian friends and friends who people like myself who don't believe in anything.

One thing I will say though: my non-believing friends do way more for the community, the environment etc and are not hypocrites like my religious friends.

I don't need to 'meet' up with other athiests. You just can't get the concept of 'having to share beliefs' out of your head can you OP. It's NOT a religion!!

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost in the Machine

I believe in Jesus, but even I know atheists unite under a banner of simple opposition. They are opposed to the same things people of faith are. They don't want the beliefs of others affecting them or their children, schools, the workplace, government and other things prone to manipulation that could suit an agenda.

[edit on 28-3-2010 by SmokeandShadow]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join