It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

dentist phobia...a disaster!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
In my family, on both sides, almost everyone has bad teeth since young age. Even the ones who do clean their teeth twice a day, go to the dentist every 6 months, some still lost all their teeth before the age of 40. Others have lots of work done over the years.

On top of my bad 'tooth DNA', my parents never took me to a dentist as a kid. So when things got bad I had to get work done on all my teeth between the age of 11 and 14. Lots of build-up work, bracers, etc...

In my teen years I developed a huge fear for the dentist to the point that when I had to get something done, they had to put me to sleep in the hospital. Needless to say that I only went to a dentist when I was in pain.
At 25 my wisdom teeth had to come out, all 4 of them. I had it done in a hospital again. Afterwards I felt as if I came back from a trip to a butcher instead of a dental surgean.
My gums where stitched to my cheek for a week and months later it turned out a pointy piece of bone was left in, that kept infecting my gums.
That only made my dentist fear worse and I swore I never let someone touch my teeth ever again.

So about 3 years ago I noticed that small pieces started to break off the teeth that had work done on them. First one, a few months later another one... lucky me, none of these teeth had nerves in them anymore so it didn't hurt and I didn't do anything about it. But I knew it would only get worse and that I had to do something.

I started discussing this with my husband and told him that I wanted to make an appointment for a total dental reconstruction in a hospital in Holland. They replace the teeth and even fill up the gums to create a perfect look in 2 or 3 surgeries. It would be expensive, but the hospital made payment plans so I could pay for it over 3 years. For me this was (is) the perfect (and only) solution... but my husband said that I was nuts and that I needed to go to a normal dentist... like everyone else. He doesn't understand that my fear stops me from going.
I WANT to go, but I CAN'T bring myself to it.
I've been trying to convince him to let me go there, since they have long waiting list. I was hoping to convince him before things got worse...

This morning, disaster happened ...
When I was eating a sandwich I suddenly heard a loud crack... and there went my upper front teeth, they just broke off. My teeth are getting so weak that they are starting to break off one after another, it's our family curse... anyway, I just cried for two hours.

I can't work like this, I can't show myself in public without front teeth!!!! And my husband made a call to his dentist and he is expecting me next thursday (which is fast, normally you have to wait a couple of weeks over here)
I'm having one panic reaction after the other...dentist-phobia.

Seriously, I know this all sound like a very childish reaction to the dentist and I feel like a total coward. But right now I rather stay indoors for the rest of my life then to go to that dentist on thursday.

Anyone else has this problem and know how to deal with it?

Hubby says he is going to close the shop and drag me there himself if he has to.... so maybe I'll just run off... hide for a few weeks... hope for a miracle... or go to my doc and ask for a load of anti-anxiety drugs...
ugh....

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

If you do take anti anxiety meds and go to the dentist be sure and tell him what you took. Don't want an interaction with his pain med.
I always request nitros oxide.....wheeeee!

Tell your husband that whaaa thinks the Holland option is a good idea.

I go to Mexico for my dental work. US dentists are very $$$$$$.

Best of Luck darlin!

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

my husband says he doesn't care what Whaaa thinks... grrr he just wants me in paaaaaain on the dentists couch of horror!
lol, no he doesn't, just thinks the Holland idea is ridiculous when I can get the same done behind the corner almost for free--->european health care insurance :p
which doesn't cover it when I go outside of the country for health care! YaY EU!

really, I want meds, my doc will probably give me alprazolam or something like that... if .... im going

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK

really, I want meds, my doc will probably give me alprazolam or something like that... if .... im going

Yeah, those are great. Pills

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Wow, did I say I was hoping for a miracle in my OP?

my hubby just mailed the dental clinic in Holland and asked for an appointment for an intake consult. Waiting list for that is about 1 month.

The one condition was that I will go to the dentist next thursday for a temp. fix on the front teeth...

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I know I don't know you well...at all

but

-hug for you-

I am so insanely terrified of dentists it drives me nuts

I have to take a xanax when I got to the dentist. A little tip I found out. Before you to the dentists, as weird as this sounds. Eat a big ole burger or a nice candy bar (then brush your teeth). The sugars inside items such as this bind to the lidocaine and cause it to work more efficiently. If your sugar level isn't appropriate the novacaine cannot do it's job effectively

good luck...I mean it from another dental-phobe

-Kyo

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Thanks Kyo

My mind is so much focused on my appointment next month that I don't even think that much about thursdays dentist visit.
I have to go, I look horrible now and my husband even took the day off to go with me (think he is scared that I really do take off, lol), oh well, he can hold my hand and wipe off my tears

thanks for the sugar-top, I'll try that

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

to me it is never the needles...the novacaine does nothing for me...I just don't want to feel a thing! The problem is nerves can speed up blood flow and cause the novacaine to loose effectiveness fast. The xanax is always a good idea IMO for someone that scared

good luck...I'll think about ya

-Kyo

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Well,I know how you feel.I went to a guy who had a license to practice dentistry,but should never have been allowed to.

What I thought was to be a simple extraction of a wisdom tooth ended up with me being rushed to the emergency room in an ambulance with a medical emergency.

He overdosed me with Novocaine and still didn't remove the tooth.I was in the military and he was a military officer(notice I did not use the term dental officer).

He actually left me in the chair, ran from the room crying,and went awol for 2 weeks when he realized he had screwed up and had "bitten off more than he could chew"(pun intended).

When they caught him,they shipped him back to the states and kicked him out of the military and reported him as being incompetent to the ADA.

I would go almost catatonic when they told me I had a dental appointment while I was still in.

I finally related my experience to one of the good dental officers and how I literally almost died.They put it in my record and I always had dental work done by the most senior experienced dentist and they used laughing gas instead of Novocaine.

But I still break out in a sweat when I walk in the doors of a dentist office.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

Thanks for sharing that (scary) story but I don't think I needed to hear that right now!!

I'm sorry that happened to you, that's more then enough to develop a phobia.
(tomorow's my big day, keep your thumbs crossed for me will ya
)

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Back from the dentist, I felt like jumping out of the chair and run for it the whole time
He did a very good job in building up my tooth, very nicely done.

I'm sitting here with a sedated face that feels like it's trippled in size... think he gave me extra because I was scared
hate that, when that wears off I can be happy, till then I'm still feeling very sorry for myself :p

but, I did it ( still feel phobia)

[edit on 1/4/2010 by GypsK]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

well I said it to you in mutter but I am very happy you are ok

-Kyo

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
[edit on 1-4-2010 by zaiger]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I totally understand your fear. I am happy to see you were able to make it thru it. I have a fear as well. I never went to the dentist as a child. Then once I turned 18 my teeth started to give me problems. I have had almost everything imaginable done. My last adventure was having a tooth pulled while I was awake....that was the most horrible hour of my life. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

new topics

top topics

join