It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hot Tub Time Machine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
For those of you that remember the 80's, this movie is a must see. Sure, it's pointless and silly, crude and disgusting but it's also hysterical.

In a nutshell, John Cusack plays a guy who's girlfriend has just moved out on him. One of his childhood friends has a mishap that bring the old gang together. They're all losers. One of them is an alcoholic mess (Rob Corddry), the other is a former singer who gave up his passion for his wife (Craig Robinson)and the fourth member of the trio is Cusack's nephew. The nephew is a basement dwelling (Cusack's basement) video game geek (Clark Duke).

The four of them head to a ski resort where Cusack to try and recapture the fun and glory of their youth. They wind up being transported back, via the hot tub, to the 80's. Following the Marty McFLy/Doc Brown school of thought, they must do everything exactly the same so that they can all get back to the present.

There's plenty of stupidity, as is usually the case in time travel movies but this isn't a thinking man's movie. This is a raunchy, ridiculous comedy and it works. Cusack is, as always, a great anchor but it's Corddry and Robinson who provide the most laughs.

There are tons of references to the culture and news of the 80's, some blatant, others very sly and there are a few stellar cameos. Notably, Billy Zabka (Johnny from Karate Kid) in a scene with Corddry and Robinson that is, simply put, not something to be discussed here.

I highly recommend the movie to anyone who can recall the 80's. For those of you who are too young to remember walkmen, Reagan, "the drive" etc, you'll still find it entertaining but many of the jokes will be lost on you.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

I like the genre. Thanks for the review. Does it need the big screen or can I wait for the DVD?

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

it'll be great on dvd. so many little things that probably go unnoticed due to laughter.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
When I first caught wind of this, I was in awe that something so ridiculous would ever get made. But the more I looked at it, the more promising I thought.

The name at first didn't do much. Reminded me of "Snakes on a Plane". Pretty odd movie title.

I'm looking forward to seeing it.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by chissler

they address the stupidity of the name throughout the movie. they also address the stupidity of a hot tub time machine. Cusack's nephew in the movie is a riot. I saw one review where they referred to him as a geek set greek chorus.

[edit on 29-3-2010 by Crakeur]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I'm a big fan of the 80's, remember it well...

Can't wait to see this movie...

For a similar 80's nostalgia trip...check out "Wet Hot American Summer"...

This little gem is out there, but amazingly, has a TON of people in it you'll recognize...

It's an 80's movie set at a summer camp... It does an amazing job of capturing the period (at first, I thought it was actually made in the 80's)...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I cannot wait to see this when it comes on DVD.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I just watched this movie the other day. I gotta admit I was only born in the 80s so I wasn't the target audience, but either way I found it funny. There's something there for everyone.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
This movie was awesome
I LOLed the whole way through it
worth seeing

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

That is hillarious. I saw my younger brother last night for the first time in a while to hit the tennis ball around. Warming up, we always go through some small talk, and this movie was discussed. We both came to the conclusion that we were the only people in the world who thought this movie was funny. Terrible reviews, no one saw it - but Rob Cordry's performance alone is reason to watch it.

Another movie that no one knows about that is really funny: The Dewey Cox Story. I hope it's ok to put this here...

Thanks for posting - funny how great minds think alike

CJ
edit on 27-7-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I'm still surprised Wet Hot American Summer isn't a cult movie...yet... Trust me, watch this, and see how many lines you can then use as quotes...

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Another great one seemingly lost in time. Had a buddy in the film.

CJ

new topics

top topics

join