It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunk South Korea naval ship Cheonan 'split in half'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Anyone have any info on this type's telecommunications setup?

I've been searching but cannot find much info.

I'm curious of reports that all telecommunications went dead onboard, at the time of the explosion.

Wouldn't this be unlikely? Surely if the engines supplied main electrical power, and was disrupted, there would be backup systems in place, in the event of either an engines failure or an attack that disabled the engines, and hence power?

The captain had to use a mobile phone to contact his HQ? A mobile phone?

No battery backup for comms in the bridge? The bridge wasn't part of the explosion, so why were there no comms?

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
American Carrier Battle Groups will be safe because we can close all the North Korean ports with mines and trap most of there navy in port or attack the ones at sea with aircraft.
Even there subs have to return to port every couple weeks to resupply and re fuel.
With all there port closed by sea mines this will be very hard.

Who says they will let you know they have fired the first?

Is the mining of the sea there going to stop the Subs out at sea attacking?

We have to be realistic, there is so much blind faith in American Weapons and Carriers etc.

War with North Korea, unless all out by the US first and using Nukes and things, simple as a Carrier will be the main target and would sink, why not? it seems like people think American Boats and stuff are Superhoro Weapons, its not like the movies.

30 russian silent Submarines against 1-2 aircraft Carriers, whats are they going to do fly in the air with the planes to aviod the torpedos?

Comic Book ideas/beliefs on ATS sometimes.

Elf

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
yes virginia a mine could have done that much damage if it set off close to area where heavy ordinance was stored like say a missile magazine

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The Cheonan was only commissioned in 1989 so it's not exactly old. The US Coast Guard is still using ships that were built in the 1960s and they don't just randomly sink!

en.wikipedia.org...

The vessel was only a corvette (a coastal patrol ship smaller then a frigate but bigger than a patrol ship) so I am not sure what her radar or sonar assets would have been like.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Hmmm...

The Krakatoa weapon or an enhanced version of it maybe? It came out in 08 I think - so they've had some time to work on it.

Krakatoa Weapon

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Richard Marcinko or Seal Team Six could have easily done it with the one man open mini-subs and proper charge placement of a limpet mine. He described doing it in one of his books, breaking a ship's back in a harbor. One man, one ship.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
While I agree that the entire situation is riddled with oddities and a lot of media scrambling, I can't get past one thing:

North Korea craves attention. If they had bombed the ship themselves, don't you think he would be bragging about it right now? I hardly think Kimmy is the type of dictator to allow people to think that his well-orchestrated attack was nothing more than an accident.

I would have thought he'd be grinning ear-to-ear with the promise of more to come by now.

Not that I'm wishing it, it just doesn't make sense that he wouldn't take credit.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Yes - that's a good point.

Kimmy is always yelling... "I'm going to do blah blah!!"

You'd think if he actually did something he would be shouting it at the top of his lungs.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Good point,and time will tell as the ships metal,when salvaged,will show an explosion originating from the interior or the exterior.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
The most pressing issue/problem in this case is NOT waht caused the explosion. It IS rather HOW QUICKLY DID KOREAN NAVY AND GOVERNMENT RESPONDED TO THE SCENE AND started the SEARCH AND RESCUE.

There were 46 lives exntrapped inside the sunken ship. It looks as though the Korean navy and Lee Administration made the FIRST meaningful action to save lives in NEARLY 72-HOURS after it sank!!!! Can you have any life after 72-hours??

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
The following is the Date-Time-Event as reported in Yonhap News with [my interpretation on what the government actions meant to saving lives.]

March 26, 2010 - 9:20pm Explosion event detected in the land base near the exploded ship. [56 soldiers are rescued + 46 soldiers are entrapped/missing. After rescuing the 56 soldiers, no significant rescue operation was conducted or at least nothing in reported news -- did the Government/Military give up hope and assume that all of these 46 missing soldiers are already dead?? How can the Lee government be so cruel and crude and did nothing to rescue ANY OF THESE MISSING SOLDIERS RIGHT AWAY?? If you are missing in the sea or entrapped in the sunken ship, then it is a fight against time of a few minutes to hours, NOT DAYS!]

March 27 -- The event is briefed to the Congress.

March 28, a.m. -- The undrwater search operation by SSU is conducted in the vicinity of accident. [This first serious SEARCH began a full 36 hours after the ship sank!!! What did they do during these 36 hours ?? Go report the event to Pres. Lee and discuss how to tell lies to the people?]

March 28, 10:31pm -- SSU Search team identifies the sunken ship at 180m to the north of explosion site. [They spent a whole 49 hours to re-identify the sunken ship, which they already had in sight immediately after the explosion when they rescued the 56 surviving soldiers!!! WHY THE HELL THEY WASTE THE PRECIOUS 48-HOURS JUST TO RE-IDENTIFY THE SUNKEN SHIP? WHY DID THEY NOT EMBARK ON THE SEARCH-AND-RESCUE OPERATION IMMEDIATELY AT THE SIGHT OF EXPLOSION??? LEE ADMINISTRATION HAS TO ANSWER THIS QUESTION FULLY. WHY DID THEY WASTE THE 48-HOURS TO RE-IDENTIFY THE SUNKEN SHIP!! MOST LIVES WOULD HAVE PERISHED BY NOW.]

March 29, 8:13pm -- SSU rescuers inject Air into the sunken ship. [Why?????? Wow, would anyone be lucky enough survive this long?? So, there would be compartments in the ship that is leak-tight and give the soldiers time to wait for the rescue, finally?]

March 30, 2 pm -- Sam-A 2200 Crane-ship departs from Busan toward the site.

March 30, 3 pm -- one of the rescuers die.

April 1, pm -- the military reports the time (9:22pm) and detection data of explosion for the first time.

April 2 -- Military resume the 'rescue' operation after 3-days halt. [Simply unbelievable! Lee Myung-Bak Government is just thoroughly incompetent. Ins tead of focusing on the rescue of another soldier, they just get distracted and try to cover up the accident or maybe how to run a propaganda campaign.. They let the 46 soldiers DIE!!!!!!!!]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join