It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunk South Korea naval ship Cheonan 'split in half'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Sunk South Korea naval ship Cheonan 'split in half'

news.bbc.co.uk

The force of Friday's mysterious explosion which sunk a South Korean naval ship appears to have split the vessel's hull in two, officials say.

The two halves are lying on the sea bed but bad weather has prevented military divers from reaching the wreckage.

The cause of the explosion on the 1,200-tonne Cheonan remains unclear
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-3-2010 by grantbeed]

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 28/3/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Wow, the whole ship is split in half.

OK, could an old mine possibly do such damage? What sort of thing can split a ship like this in two?

Sounds more like a torpedo to me, although i've read that the ship was in shallow waters at the time and any Sub would have been in dangerously shallow ground to launch a torpedo.

any ideas?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Well Hopefully it wasn't Godzilla.

It was probably an anti-ship mine.

[edit on 28/3/10 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Well I think this was no accident.

It’s too close to the disputed waters.

I highly doubt a single mine would be able to split a ship into two distinct pieces. though I may be wrong...

IMHO this was the result of sabotage. if it was a torpedo or in fact a mine, you would have expected sonar to have picked it up, and no one on board as far as we know mentioned anything suspicious prior to the event.

It is feasible to destroy the ship in this way with a series of charges around the hull.

Either that or a torpedo and either the ship had no sonar or they are being told to keep shtum.... there is one other alternative the sonar was not present on that ship or they were not looking at it at the time...

The other way to think about this is that the sabotage could have been committed by the south Korean military, to sway global public opinion ready for action... if this is the case they would have wasted lives for nothing because when they would have approached the US for support of retaliation, they would have been told "stand your ground.”

These are my thoughts anyway.

Peace Out,

Korg.

[edit on 28-3-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
It sounds more ominous each time I read anything on this..

Tho it seems the South do not want to confront the North.. which would end in a lot more deaths and perhaps spreading the conflict.

The only problem is that if the North are trying to provoke a response then I am sure they will try again as this will only embolden them further.

edit typo

[edit on 28/3/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

I guess it's possible that North Korea could have sabotaged the vessel with some kind of explosives.

The story gets shiftier by the hour.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
What sort of thing can split a ship like this in two?

Well I know for a fact that the Arizona that
was sunk at Pearl Harbor was hit with a torpedo
but that was not what split it in two.
It was an aerial bomb from a Jap Bomber
that went through the top deck and went
directly into the big gun's ammo cache. The Jap
bomb exploded the onboard munitions. That
was what split the Arizona in two.

I don't think it was a mine as most mines hit
the front part of the ship and wouldn't sever it in
the middle. The article also said it was shallow water
so a torpedo is unlikely as most subs need at least
50-70 meters deep to maneuver. Unless it was next
to a continental shelf and the sub fired toward the shelf
with a long shot.

however the ship's Captain said nothing of any sonar
contacts in the water. So unless NKorea
has got it's hands on an invisible torpedo, I'd rule that out.
So I'm guessing it is most likely sabotage or an accident
by the crew or faulty/old ship. Some of the relatives said
that their sons had complained before about lots
of ship problems and faulty equipment which was
dangerous so that is a high probability.

I don't think this was an attack. Also, it if had been a
successful attack, Kim Jung Ill would have boasted
about it and we haven't heard diddly squat from him.
So I'd rule out an attack from what I've seen and heard
thus far

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity

It’s too close to the disputed waters.

I highly doubt a single mine would be able to split a ship into two distinct pieces. though I may be wrong...

It really depends on the size of the ship. A small ship would easily be taken apart by a mine, but I am no expert but I think that is common sense, no?

Once again this is the type of story that will never be fully reported. And if it is, you can bet you a$$ the MSM will hype up some extravagant thought-out FALSE story. Even if NK/SK say otherwise and oppose what American MSM say, the American MSM will be believed and that will be that. How many times has this type of stuff happened and it just gets shoved under the carpet? Well, too many times to count am I right, or am I right?

Oh and by the way, a torpedo could have been launched from far away.

Type Torpedo
Place of origin Empire of Japan
Service history
In service 1933 - 1945
Used by Imperial Japanese Navy
Wars Second World War
Production history
Designer Rear Admiral Kaneji Kishimoto and Captain Toshihide Asakuma
Designed 1928-1933
Variants Type 97 torpedo, Type 95 torpedo
Specifications
Weight 2.8 tonnes
Length 9 metres
Diameter 610 mm
Effective range 22,000m (at 48-50 knots)
Maximum range 40,400m (at 34-36 knots)
Warhead weight 490 kg
Speed 52 knots (96 km/h)

This is a type 93 torpedo by the way. I have no idea specifically what torpedo's are used today that is one area of weaponry that I have yet to study but the range of this Type 93 is pretty damn far, ranging to 40,400 meters (at the speed of 34-36 knots). So a sub could have been in deeper water and launched the torpedo easily without being detected I would believe.

And yes I know these are known to be used by the Japanese and they are very old, but if they had that range back then, imagine what sort of power torpedo's now have! Like I said I'm no expert in this area, although I know weapons well, torpedo's are not something I've studied but I think it may be something I will before I depart from this earth.

Could someone with more knowledge on this area chime in and correct me here or add on to what I've presented?

Source: Wikipedia Link

Wanted to add this as well, check out MischeviousElf's post 2 posts below mine, it adds up to what I have posted and may hold some ground as to what occurred.

[edit on 28/3/2010 by highlyoriginal]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Search continues for missing sailors

On Saturday, a Navy lieutenant, one of the rescued, raised the possibility of an attack from an outside force, dismissing the likelihood that the ship sank due to an internal explosion or a collision with a reef.

www.koreaherald.co.kr...

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Sips get their "Backs Broken" by torpedo's or mines usually
?

Like this?

However as such an explosion inside could do the same.

Kind Regards,

Elf

[edit on 28-3-2010 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

lmao

well I do applaud you for trying so hard

didn't I already say there was no sonar contact
mentioned by the Capt ????
Unless their
sonar was not operational which leads to negligence
by the Capt for putting it to sea in that shape
or maybe he was ordered to do so by an Admiral.
We don't know at this point.

I stand by faulty equipment which ignited
the munitions is the likely option.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Torpedo's do break ships in half, since WW2, Germans mastered that "art"...
It's not the explosive that breaks the ship.
It goes like this!

Yeah, I know I suck at drawing....

It goes UNDER the ship, so the FORCE of the explosion rips the ship in half.

Don't believe me, go to subsim.com forum and ask the experts!

However, I don't know about the mine, but it is a possibility....

[edit on 28-3-2010 by GakunGak]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Being a old minesweep sailor that part i can clear up, The ship is small and was in shallow water.(reports say part of the mast is still above water)

Yes a 1000 pound bottom type mine is easily able to split a ship that size.

Bottom type mines do there damage by both shock wave and the large bubble they create.

Bubble effect
If the mine detonates in the water under the ship, the bubble effect happens. The explosion creates a "hole" in the water,this will leave the center of the ship unsupported and due to the difference in pressure, this sphere will collapse from the bottom. This creates the famous "pillar" of water that can go well over a hundred meters into the air. this rapid Hammer blow on the unsupported hull is massive The damage to the ship is heavy. Flooding many compartments. The structural damage might break the ship apart. The crew in the areas hit by the water pillar are usually killed instantly. Other damage is usually limited to breaking any through hull water fitting at the first closed valve or bend inside the the intake strainer or discharge pipe.

www.royalnavy.mod.uk...
www.rodriquez.it...
this is what a mine did to a US navy ship
www.navybook.com...

Wooden Ships and Rusty Crusty Old Iron Men MSO-437

[edit on 28-3-2010 by ANNED]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Mines and torpedos have been known to blow a ship into two... The exploding air pressure ruptures the hull - I guess it depends 'where' it was hit (assuming it was) as opposed to what it was hit with.

Funnily enough i only know this because i was watching a documentary on torpedos and mines a few days ago.

Edit: I notice the poster above me confirms that the air pressure is replaced with a bubble which is forced upwards - pretty much what i meant..

[edit on 28-3-2010 by mr-lizard]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Do not get carried away, we all know the south koreans are just as bad, like all countries.

Propaganda can dictate public opinion so easy and hardly any percentage of people ever think, and just accept what the news says.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Do not get carried away, we all know the south koreans are just as bad, like all countries.

Propaganda can dictate public opinion so easy and hardly any percentage of people ever think, and just accept what the news says.

So you're saying the ship wasn't blown into two pieces??

Or am i misquoting you?

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

This is North koreas Mine and Torpedo Capabilities etc:

The DPRK has a credible mine warfare capability. There are numerous small surface ships that are capable of delivering mines within both the navy and civilian sectors. Mines will be used to defend against amphibious assaults, defend strategic ports, and provide seaward flank protection for land forces. Defensive mine fields will be monitored by coastal observation teams and radar, and they will be supported by well emplaced artillery and missile batteries. This will make close approach and mine clearing operations extremely hazardous. DPRK has a large inventory of older technology mines, significant historical experience with their effectiveness, and, most importantly, the willingness to use them.

And we know they have both Whiskey and Romeo class from the Chinese and Russians, some made in Korea using designs. They therefore have the same type of Torpedo's as made and shared with the Russians and Chinese.

They probably have modified them, and just made them from the plans so we can assume they have at least the equivalent of the following, and probably much much more advanced as these are 1960's 70's known shared designs..... we must be aware Russia are the leaders in the world in "Supercavitating Torpedos" which travel up to 100mph underwater, and if plans are being shared for their early basic designs, from the late 1970's well that gives North Korea the real ability to take out several Aircraft carrier Groups simultaneously, or at least attempt and have a good chance of suceeeding in sinking a couple of Carrier's.

But what they have at the very least with no updates over 40yrs (unlikely!!)

Yu-4 (鱼-4) torpedo is the Chinese development of the Russian SAET-50 ASuW passive acoustic homing torpedo, and it is the Russian SAET-50 torpedo incorporating active acoustic homing guidance. Yu-4 torpedo is often erroneously claimed by many sources as the Chinese version of the SAET-60 acoustic homing torpedo,[1]but Soviets had not completed the development of SAET-60 and only fielded the weapon in 1961, by then the relationship between former-Soviet Union and China had already worsened and China had not received any technical assistance on SAET-60 torpedo. The background of the development of Yu-4 torpedo is identical to that of Yu-1 torpedo and Yu-2 torpedo.
# Diameter: 533 mm
# Length: 7.75 m
# Weight: 1,775 kg (1,628 kg for the training version)
# Warhead: 309 kg
# Guidance: acoustic homing: Yu-4A: passive, Yu-4B: active/passive
# Propulsion: electrical, silver-zinc battery
# Range: 6 km (original) @ 30 kt, 15 km (upgraded) @ 40 kt
# Speed: 30 kt (56 km/h) or 40 kt (75 km) upgraded
Whiskey Class Minimum Capabilities

And also:

The 53-65 torpedo family are Russian made, wake-homing torpedoes designed to destroy surface ships. The 53-65 became operational in 1965, while the 53-65K and 53-65M both became operational in 1969. The 53-65KE is an exported version. They are members of the Type 53 torpedos. China received an unknown number of 53-65KE torpedoes from Russia after purchasing 4 Kilo class submarines in the 1990s.

* Primary function: High explosive torpedo for sinking surface ships
* Power plant:
o 53-65 and 53-65M: Kerosene-hydrogen peroxide turbine
o 53-65K: Kerosene-oxygen turbine
* Length: 23.6 ft (7.2 m)
* Weight: 4,563 lb–4,630 lb (2,070 kg–2,300 kg)
* Diameter: 21 in (533 mm)
* Range:
o 53-65: 18,000 metres (20,000 yd)
o 53-65K: 19,000 metres (21,000 yd)
o 53-65M: 22,000 metres (24,000 yd)
* Speed:
o 53-65 and 53-65K: 45 kt (52 mi/h, 83 km/h)
o 53-65M: 44 kt (51 mi/h, 81 km/h)
* Guidance system: Wake-homing
* Warhead: 661 lb (300 kg) high explosive
* Operational since:
o 53-65: 1965
o 53-65K and 53-65M: 1969
Whiskey Class Torpedo

This 1960's design, so what is in their inventory with their reliance on just getting plans, making it themselves and modifying updating them, makes me sure they have some very very advanced Torpedo's now, especially as their greatest threat besides Nuclear Weapons & Planes, are American Carrier Battlle Groups.

In any showdown with North Korea you can bet they will throw everything they have in trying to sink any local carrier, and have probably spent a lot of time and money developing more efficient means to do that.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I have serious theory that fit with all the event that occur.

The homing pigeon!!!

That explain why the ship shot at the incoming horde of pigeon charging the ship.

I have official source that North Korean train army of pigeon with military thermate belt to cut off ship in 2 parts.

I hope fox news will not steal my theory.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
American Carrier Battle Groups will be safe because we can close all the North Korean ports with mines and trap most of there navy in port or attack the ones at sea with aircraft.
Even there subs have to return to port every couple weeks to resupply and re fuel.
With all there port closed by sea mines this will be very hard.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
News is saying that the North isn't responsible for the Souths ship sinking....I guess time will tell.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join