It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking isn't bad for your health at all ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Sinter Klaus:

Smokers and Anti-smokers - this is an issue that started more than 400 years ago. It is nothing new. In the general population - smokers and non-smokers generally get along well and accommodate each others desires amicably. But about every 70 or 80 years, a flock of puritans arise that decide smoking is sinful. They begin anti-smoking campaigns that in the past have included summary execution of smokers. Generally the peak of the anti-smoking campaigners lasts about 10 years - then as the population becomes fatigued, smoking begins to rise in popularity and when the cycle reaches a certain point - anti-smoking goes out of style.

The current campaign based on health issues differs very little from campaigns based on religion/morals.

Sir Richard Doll conducted an epidimiological study back in the 1950s in England using doctors as his subject. This was the time of the terrible smogs that England used to suffer from due to the burning of dirty coal. In 1952 - there was one incident where 12,000 people died in a matter of two weeks.

Sir Richard Doll sent out surveys to identify those doctors who smoked and those who didn't. Ultimately, the results of the survey indicated that those who smoked contracted lung cancer at a rate higher than those who didn't.

There was however, one little anamoly in the study that Sir Richard Doll did not wish to pursue and that was never pursued.

The rate of lung cancer was highest in those smokers - WHO DID NOT INHALE.

A former poster was correct. Smoking irritates the mucous lining of the lung and provokes increased production of mucous. Mucous is the material that the respiratory system creates to trap fine particulate and prevent this particulate from lodging in the lungs.

That is perhaps why smokers do not seem to suffer the same rates of asthma that non-smokers do?

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Some people say this, some people say that.

But it seems that the people saying this (anti smokers). Say this without any current research to back it up. The people saying that (pro smokers) say it because they do seem to have the research to back it up.

With that last group there is at the same time a lot of circumstantial evidence that smoking is used as a cover up for something else.

[edit on 28-3-2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skid Mark
Tobacco alone is not bad. When you add all of the chemicals, that's bad. That stuff was never meant to be burned and inhaled. You might as well be huffing smoke from a house fire. Organic tobacco is your best bet.

Organic yes the best.
but they are makeing it more difficult to get for people in europe banning postal of product.

www.syracuse.com...

www.syracuse.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Moderation, that's what the MD who wrote the book is talking about. Excessive smoking will make you ill, no doubt. I try to limit myself to around 10 cigarettes a day.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Smoking causes cancer, but it might not be anything in the tobacco plant that does it, but the fluoride it is treated with. Then again it might be deliberate. Trying to find an article that the tobacco fields were "fertilized" with radioactive waste.
Here is a related thread

[edit on 28-3-2010 by m khan]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Hi all

The first column is males&femals who die of smoking.
The second column is total deaths in 2007 persons over 20 years old.

As you can see 50% of the males die because they smoke, and about a third of the ladies die from smoking.

What an interesting question the occurs to me is.
What if these people did not smoke... wouldnt they have the chance of getting one of these ugly deceses anyways?

Smoking is not good. You are healthier that is for sure.
More lung capacity etc.

But I think exaturation of the effect of smoking comes from those uptight, goatwool sock wearing healthfreaks anyways.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Damian-007
I smoke and I'm Sick of it.
I've tried to give it up, but can't
I've been smokinig for nearly 30 years.
I'm sick of waking up in the morning, Coughing my lungs out and smelling of Dirty Tobacco.

I'm sick of my Lungs Hurting everytime I take a Deep Breath. I'm sick of not being able to Excersise and take long walks.

I guess I'm just Sick and I attribute it all to Smoking..

There are a lot of people who have Lived above the Norm that do not Smoke.

To make a real argument you need to find a whole community that have never smoked and then find a community that has smoked and compare the ages that they have lived to.

Right. Smoking has caused serious issue that may or may not be irreversible for me. I used to be able to exercise for hours. Now, the decline in performance can be attributed to many other factors, but smoking has definitely had an effect on my ability to breath during strenuous activities.

You can't tell me smoking is good for anyone. If anything, it smells horrible and turns your teeth yellow. On top of that, it's seriously addictive. That's bad enough.

There may be some use for pure tobacco, but not manufactured cigarettes.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sover3igN
Hi all

The first column is males&femals who die of smoking.
The second column is total deaths in 2007 persons over 20 years old.

As you can see 50% of the males die because they smoke, and about a third of the ladies die from smoking.

What an interesting question the occurs to me is.
What if these people did not smoke... wouldnt they have the chance of getting one of these ugly deceses anyways?

Smoking is not good. You are healthier that is for sure.
More lung capacity etc.

But I think exaturation of the effect of smoking comes from those uptight, goatwool sock wearing healthfreaks anyways.

Thank for this interesting graph - Now please provide the PROOF that ANY of these people died of smoking.

Just proof for any 3 people will do.

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS

[edit on 29-3-2010 by TiredofControlFreaks]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirPsychoSexy

Originally posted by Damian-007
I smoke and I'm Sick of it.
I've tried to give it up, but can't
I've been smokinig for nearly 30 years.
I'm sick of waking up in the morning, Coughing my lungs out and smelling of Dirty Tobacco.

I'm sick of my Lungs Hurting everytime I take a Deep Breath. I'm sick of not being able to Excersise and take long walks.

I guess I'm just Sick and I attribute it all to Smoking..

There are a lot of people who have Lived above the Norm that do not Smoke.

To make a real argument you need to find a whole community that have never smoked and then find a community that has smoked and compare the ages that they have lived to.

Right. Smoking has caused serious issue that may or may not be irreversible for me. I used to be able to exercise for hours. Now, the decline in performance can be attributed to many other factors, but smoking has definitely had an effect on my ability to breath during strenuous activities.

You can't tell me smoking is good for anyone. If anything, it smells horrible and turns your teeth yellow. On top of that, it's seriously addictive. That's bad enough.

There may be some use for pure tobacco, but not manufactured cigarettes.

Now listen to yourself! "Now, the decline in performance can be attributed to many other factors...."

Would age be one of those factors? Would age cause yellow teeth? Try brushing them one in awhile.

By the way - there are many atheletes who smoke.

Why do you blame smoking for the effects of aging? Do you really believe you would have stayed young forever if only you hadn't smoked?

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirPsychoSexy

. . .

Yep . . . smelling bad makes it bad for you. I always knew that there was a reason that I did not like cabbage. Are beans, onions, eggs, etc. bad for you as well . . . they make you smell horrible.

Tea, coffee. and fruit juice must be bad as well, since they turn your teeth yellow too.

Real sound argument there, buddy.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I'm a smoker and since i smoked i haven't really notice an improvement in my health but i have notice that i've gotten worse in health, so i can't really believe smoking can be good for you. but hey! it makes me feel just a bit better when i smoke a ciggarette now after reading this information lol

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Blackhawk420

Smoking has its risks and downsides. It also has its benefits and rewards.

Go about your business of living life and being human. Your body belongs only to yourself and not to the state.

A life lived only for the sake of extending it to as many breathes as possible isn't worth living.

The state can advise you on what is "good for you" (and quite often they are wrong) but no one can tell you what makes your life worth living.

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

Originally posted by wayaboveitall

This is a letter from, William Campbell Douglass II, MD
He claims smoking can prevent cancer, protect your brain, it could alleviate heart attacks and strokes, It could literally save your life

How much are they paying him ?

The real question is how far will some (government) go to shut him up?

Maybe its the government paying him. Do you know how much money the government makes from the tax on tobacco in Australia alone each year?
Globally its an enormous amount.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
There is new information on this topic !

You can read it here. Developing test to warn smokers of cancer danger By TiredofControlFreaks

I'm sorry about not responding to some posts. I mistakingly delete this thread from my subscription list. I never noticed new posts coming in.

I've seen a few replies where there is pointed to the use of an "illegal substance" as much as I think it should be discussed. We are not doing so here. Not because we are not allowed. But to show some respect to ATS for making all of this possible in the first place.

Thank you.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Sover3igN

The fact that they are twenty already is quetioning enough.

How would smoking will kill at twenty if for as long as we know lung cancer kills the old. Longtime smokers. And not even all of them.

It's fraud IMO.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I think the bigger conspiracy is SCHIP. You know that tax on tobacco products, namely the cigarettes. The question is if every one stops smoking cigarettes, what happens to that tax, or is it another item that the american public is stuck with a bill for?

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

I'd like you to change your perspective. enlarge it and accept that I'm from Europe and I know little to nothing on American laws and regulations.

We do however share the same problems regarding this issue.

The money they get from the taxing of cigarettes is taken up in their income. This means they have already spended it for the next decade or more. So yes. They will get that money even if smoking is banned all together. One way or another.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by cripmeister

Ah Sweden the land of plenty. More woman then man.
( is that true )

I've also heard taxes on alcohol and cigarettes go through the roof up in Scandinavian territories.

What do you pay for a pack of cigarettes 20ps and a bottle of brewsky

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
my brother does acupuncture and herbology.

His method to help people quit smoking is this-

Take 2 cigs. Brake them apart and place them in a tea bag. put them in a 8 oz glass od water and let sit for 5 minutes.

Strain out the tobacco so your left with yummy tobacco water.

now heres the hard part. You need to just CHUG this. dont sip it or try and get it down one drink at a time. Cause it wont work. You have to chug it. You will then commence to vomit back up everything you drank. After that, i guarantee you wont want another cig. the thought of one will make you puke!

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Ah...here we go...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join