It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth Hour question

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Now that Earth Hour has come and gone I got to ask ... Did you turn your lights off ? Or did you run to every room turning on all your lights and TV's to tell them just where to stick Earth Hour ?

Me , I opted for turning the lights on

[edit on 28-3-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Well my 10yr old son thought it was important enough to do something to save the planet. After all, it will be his responsibility one day, and who am I to mess with HIS world...

We shut off the lights and at his request, we all went and had a bon fire, in our back 40,,, [we caused more pollution-then we saved LOL]

but it is a nice idea to think globally laughing to myself ...

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

I watched a basketball playoff game on TV in a room with the overhead light on.
And I left the outside porch light on, too.
I guess I am just a malcontent.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I did absolutely nothing different. What in the world is the point of earth hour? Yes, lets be in the dark for an hour and think about the world. Sounds like some strange new age cult ritual.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by time91

One point or goal , to see just how many people buy into there propaganda when " they " check the power consumption levels to see just how many people followed along , baaa .

Another point , to unite the people of the " world " in a untied earth goal at the same time

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by time91

If you ask me it's about as useful as going out of your way to turn on every light in your house, just in spite of earth hour.

[edit on 28/3/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
did not do anything was surfing the internet as usual. i do not see any meaning with the earth hour

. buildings get turned off but not the subway system?

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

The electrical company makes sure through the high prices that they impose that every hour is earth hour.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I respect my earth mother and bow down to the god of global warming.
I started the hour off my starting all 4 cars and starting the lawn mower. I let them all sit and idle.
Then I turned on every light in my house and started the washer dryer and dishwasher. I found some pwer bars and made sure every electrical appliance i own was plugged in and being used, there were a few that i couldn't use because of the shortage of outlets and power bars but i think the 3 tesla coils i have suck up more than enough juice to make up for the 3 hair dryers i couldn't plug in.
For the finale i did a good old fashioned new tire/ Garbage burn in the back yard well cutting down a tree and spraying every aerosol product i could in the air. The whole thing went over a couple hours but i think it went well

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Next year when Earth Hour befalls us may I come celebrate it with you ?

If you say yes I promise to bring a seal and two clubs , what you say ?

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I'm sorry. I forgot all about it. I was on ATS while Earth Hour came and Went.

Maybe that's why my Internet Speed got faster...??

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I didn't do anything, pointless imo but if it makes folks happy more power to them. It does have a culty vibe to it though, i can already guess what types a large percentage of those who participated are. Like i said, more power to them.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Sounds like a party, bring some new tires though. and if you have any old cans with some CFCs in them bring them too. Almost forgot i ran out of old mercury thermometers, i live right by a river so im constantly running out of them.

[edit on 28-3-2010 by zaiger]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Mind if I come along? I will bring a shotgun with them CFL lightbulbs and we can get some target practice in.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Really didn't see any pont in it, i mean if we turn the lights of the companies lose money, money they use to develop cleaner, better and more efficient energy (here anyway...). So what everyone should do is to turn everything in their house on instead of off.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
About an hour after, we had a big storm that knocked power out until about 3:00 am this morning. Does that count?

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
This sort of activity is nothing but an illusion that we "are doing" something for the Earth. Well, we are not. These kind of activities just feed our ego that "we tried" or "I did something about it".

Shutting lights for one hours will not save us in the long term. Changing our society's values will.

[edit on 28-3-2010 by Pericle]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
One point or goal , to see just how many people buy into there propaganda when " they " check the power consumption levels to see just how many people followed along , baaa .

Another point , to unite the people of the " world " in a untied earth goal at the same time

Or perhaps it's simply a symbolic gesture that can raise people's awareness to the idea of energy conservation.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Status quo here, TV & laptop on...No lights tho, which is normal...

Whilst I appreciate the sentiment behind Earth Hour, I believe it does nothing but persuade people something is being done to reduce the planet's greenhouse gas emissions...Unfortunately nothing could be further from the truth...

It seems gimmicky and tokenistic to me...

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pericle
This sort of activity is nothing but an illusion that we "are doing" something for the Earth. Well, we are not...

No -- It doesn't show that we necessarily are doing something for the Earth. I think it shows that we can do something for the Earth.

The point of Earth Hour is that if everyone used less electricity all the time (not just during the symbolic "Earth Hour"), there would be a marked decrease in energy consumption. The idea is as simple as that.

[edit on 3/28/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join