It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another reason to quit smoking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Hey everybody.
Okay, so I was reading the essay "Heaven and Hell", the sequel to "the doors of perception" by Aldous Huxley. Both are very good reads and i recommend them to you all. They both show very good insight into conscious altering substances. Anyway, I came across this passage:
"By reducing the amount of available sugar, fasting lowers the brain's biological efficiency and so makes possible the entry into consciousness of material possessing no survival value. Moreover, by causing a vitamin deficiency, it removes from the blood that known inhibitor of visions, nicotinic acid."
He also states that If you are under the influence of a hallucinogen, the hallucinations can be stopped by taking nicotinic acid.
When I read this passage i instantly thought of nicotine, and therefore cigarettes. I did a little more research and came across this
www.purchon.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
So, obviously smoking cigarrettes is bad for your health. but just look up side effects of nicotinic acid. It is considered a toxin. According o the website, from 3g doses a day, this acid can be harmful to the liver in adults.
I tried finding out how many grams of nicotinic acid was in a cigarette or a pack, but couldn't find the answer, so if any of you know please share.
Despite the negative side effects to physical health and higher risk of cancer, I still smoked cigarettes occasionally. After reading Aldous Huxley's research, I will think twice when it comes to having another smoke.
I try to meditate twice a day, and because of the fact that it inhibits reaching deeper levels of consciousness, I will stop smoking because I believe expanding my consciousness is far more important than getting an occasional nicotine fix.
I hope if you enjoy meditating and happen to be a smoker, you will read this info and you will make the same decision as I did. Smoking cigarettes will slow down your progress when it comes to meditation.
Hope this info helps.
Bulletproof_monk

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I think I read somewhere that there is a process you can put a pack of cigarettes through so as to extract a black tar-like substance from them. This is supposedly a very deadly poison that only requires a small amount to kill a person.

I think I may have read that in The Anarchist Cookbook or The Poor Mans James Bond, can't remember for certain. This may be related to the "nicotinic acid" that you mentioned.

Not sure if this helps or not, but I thought Id mention it!

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I've read both of the Huxley books you mentioned and somehow that passage slipped by me. Granted, we shouldn't need even more reasons to not smoke, but man this is a good one. I quit about a year ago and now I vape low nicotine liquid. After reading this, I will be switching to nicotine free liquids.

As someone who knows deep down there is more to life that what I learned from my parents, the school system and my peers, the last thing I would want to do is close doors to personal/interpersonal experiences. Thank you for pointing out this gem of information.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Here is one for you. My dad has lung cancer is in his 50's and will probably die from it. He wont be able to spend time with his kids and all thanks to cigs.

Good enough reason to quit? you will die a horrible death.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by bulletproof_monk

I smoke alot. 40-60 cigs a day w/o filters. Right now I'm smoking OHM Natural in a hand rolled, 70 mm Bugler paper.

OHM Natural is a relatively new class of tobacco since the RYO tobacco price increase. Coarser cut to qualify as pipe tobacco, but still rolls well. Have used other papers with this tobacco like Job, Bali Shag, but they are more suitable for fine cuts and shags. ZIGZAG White seems like a universal paper, good for shags and the thicker pipe cuts.

Looking forward to sampling, in the near future some D&R products that still remain shag cuts. Like Three Sails, Ryback, and Ryback Gold.

Have smoked about 150,000 sticks of Top, Bugler and Kite. Premades (God forgive me), Winston full flavor, Pall Mall, Marlboro, and Kool.

I think Obama smokes Winston Reds.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by chorizo4

I can name a few people who smoke a pack a day and are well up in their eighties.

There has been a period in history there was a race something with 'who has the biggest' Russia won.

Do you know what a single radioactive particle can do to you ?

Don't get me wrong but their is evidence that smoking isn't related to lungcancer at all. I'm not saying it's healthy.

I'll try to find the source. Give me some time it's been a while since I read it.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by chorizo4

lmao, man it sounds like you just enjoy smoking =/

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Here is my reason that I keep smoking. In the end times we are all gonna need a time killer when we aren't running for our next meal. Books are fun and I love reading them, but smokes are fun too. I roll my own as well after the SCHIP taxes went into effect.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Dear OP

There is another name for nicotenic acid. It is commonly called vitamin B3 and is an essential nutrient to proper functioning of the brain and nervous system.

www.purchon.com...

When it comes to smoking - very little of what is commonly known is actually true.

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I have found some evidence claiming there is actually a major conspiracy going on.

I just now made a thread about it.Smoking isn't bad for you at all ?

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by bulletproof_monk

Let me add if I may, this piece of important info regarding cigarette smoking today, they contain Ethylene-vinyl acetate now. That's right, this is the 'fire safe' additive that has been placed on cigarettes now. It is in the paper of the cigarette, in bands, so the cig will go out if not puffed every 30 seconds or so. Look on the side of your pack , it will say that it is fs, somewhere near the UPC barcode, or even in the barcode. Most states have made it a law that these are the only cigs to be sold there. Now, for a little Ethylene-vinyl acetate 101:

We have no information on health effects in humans exposed to vinyl acetate in contaminated food or water. Information from animals exposed to vinyl acetate in drinking water suggest that the immune system might be affected at very high levels.

To protect workers, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has set a limit of 10 ppm vinyl acetate in workroom air during an 8-hour shift and over a 40-hour work week. The American Council of Government Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) also recommends that workers should not be exposed to more than 10 ppm vinyl acetate in workroom air during an 8-hour shift and over a 40-hour work week.

But it is in the cigarettes, people smoking the hell out of them are most certainly to be affected by this chemical entering their lungs through the cigarette as they smoke the bands of it!

I lost my mother to lung cancer, she smoked for 30+ yrs and then quit, 14 years after she quit, she got lung cancer. I always have wondered why her and so many others I met during her treatment tell this same story over and over, they got lung cancer long after quitting smoking. The one thing they all had in common in lifestyles was they had, every one of them, worked in a mill or plant here, surrounded by chemically tainted air for 8 to 12 hours a day. I still think that those chemicals had more to do with their cancers than the smoking did. This is why I am concerned about the crap being put into cigarettes, and the fact that sooo many smokers don't even know it! They have no idea why they won't stay lit!

I am a smoker, trying very hard to quit, I am on Chantix, I was stopped for a few days and fell off the wagon and quit taking the chantix, but I am back on it, and more determined than ever to stop, I only buy a pack about every 3 days now, but when I do, I seek out the ones left on the shelf that are not treated or marked FS. Hopefully I will be quit by the time they all run out!

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by treemanx
I think I read somewhere that there is a process you can put a pack of cigarettes through so as to extract a black tar-like substance from them. This is supposedly a very deadly poison that only requires a small amount to kill a person.

I think I may have read that in The Anarchist Cookbook or The Poor Mans James Bond, can't remember for certain. This may be related to the "nicotinic acid" that you mentioned.

Not sure if this helps or not, but I thought Id mention it!

I hate to be the guy to confirm, and link the source to what you mentioned, but it is interesting and at least partially relatd to the OP. You are correct, you can extract pure nicotine from tobacco products according to the Anarchist's Cookbook. Here's the link

top topics

join