It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How I choose my weapons

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle
Morninglory flowers/plants produce an excellent toxin and these plants are easy to come by. Also if reduced properly (I have the recipe around here someplace) they can be turned into a rather nasty mush that has the same effect as psilocybine mushrooms.

Oh, yeah, Morning Glories are deadly as hell. Incidentally, after ergot fungus, the CIA experimented with Morning Glory extracts in the production of more and more potent Lysergic acid diethylamide. They came up with stuff that would totally blow your mind as far back as the 1950s. Just ask Cary Grant — he was all into acid before it became a fad.

But I think we're getting off topic here.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 3/28/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by treemanx
What will you do though, if you HAVE to leave your home?

Well, I'm actually looking into building up a custom bug-out vehicle for the most drastic escapes. Fortunately, one of my neighbors here in the Smoky Mountains is an accomplished builder of custom dune buggies... Sweet. I'm thinking I can approach him with my ideas and a sizable down payment and get a double-tanked bug-out vehicle with custom weapons stash boxes, two-way radio, public address system, heavy-duty halogen lighting system, etc. I was telling my nephew about this a few days ago and he became really enthusiastic after I explained the concept of the vehicle.

Was thinking about mounted weapons, but that makes it a little difficult to take it out on the street, right?

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by treemanx

That's what strategic caches are for.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
i maybe wrong here but doesn't the OP appear to be fishing for information on how well armed ATS members are???

Well, here's the deal. If you're an American citizen who legally owns a firearm or a number of firearms (which is your Constitutionally-granted right), then the FBI and BATF and CIA ALREADY KNOW who you are and what you have.

A Federal operative doesn't need to pose oblique questions and phish for information in public forums. They ALREADY HAVE all the info they need on legal gun owners, okay? They know what you have.

It's when an OP starts talking about fully-automatic weapon mods that you need to watch out. Any OP that tries to lead you into a discussion of illegal firearms and modification techniques is likely a BATF agent working a sting.

But I've seen this same thread started a thousand times over the years all across the Internet. It's a legitimate topic posed by legitimate gunowners wishing to share information — again, it's a right.

So far, I haven't seen anything even marginally illegal mentioned in this thread. Have you?

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I have to say some folks need to do more study on this. I am no expert but folks in Iraq and Afghanistan are not using knives and bows to defend their homes.

While knives and bows have thier place they will not be your pirmary defensive weapon even if your Rambo. You should hould have a least a decent rifle and a pistol. Next a shotgun and a 22. A 22 can do most of the hunting and ammo is very cheap also good for honing your shooting skills without spending a fortune on ammo. All of those weapons can be suppressed if you don't want to draw attention. A bow or crossbow can be good though for hunting too.

Most AR's weigh about 7-8 pounds sometimes a little more depending on what you have on them. You can also have folding or telescopic stocks for easier concealment of necassary. However a good pistol will usually be the best bet for concealment. Although in a SHTF scenario you may not want to conceal but want to have your wares on display as a deterrent too.

If your worried about having to leave you should already have some fall back places prepared with caches too.

As for choice of weapons. you want to pick calibres your possible enemies will likely have or other will have lots of. So 9mm, 45, .223/5.56, 7.62x35, 308, 30.06 and 12 gage should all be ammo that is prevalent and you will be able to take from the enemy at times or may be able to trade for it is find it elsewhere.

Ar15 is like the IBM computer of rifles. Everyone has them and lots of people make parts for them and most of them are interchangeable they are easy to learn the ins and outs and easy to build also. AR15.com has just about everything you need or want to know about them and tutorials on how to build your own clean and maintain them and all sorts of customization and projects too. You can't go wrong with a decent AR and if you have a match grade barrel up to 500 yards is possible if you can shoot that well and have the scope to see that far and it doesn't add significant weight..

[edit on 28-3-2010 by hawkiye]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by oppaperclip
I think knives are dandy. However to get really good at them you have to practice...a lot. Then if you do use it on a person you are going to be very intimate wit who you just killed.

Not sure what you mean by "intimate" — My dad took hand-to-hand training for his stint in WWII, and he came back with jungle knife skills, which he taught to me and my brothers. I thank Christ that I've never been in a situation that called for Marine jungle combat training, right. Because it's swift, and it's dirty, and it all over in a few seconds, and you gotta have a strong heart to go through with it — that's why they send in the Marines first, right.

I was watching one of those USMC knife training videos, and it looks like they haven't changed the technique much — Except that today they seem to place too much emphasis on face-to-face encounters. What they were teaching in WWII was, like, ambush & execute, take a guy from behind, jerk back his head and tear through his throat with a Kabar knife before he can utter a sigh. Really nasty stuff. Not this X-slash, thrusting style they're teaching the kids today.

C'mon, how often is a Marine going to find himself in a face-to-face knife fight? I mean in combat, not on leave in a San Diego whorehouse. From my dad's descriptions of the South Pacific, there was seldom a face-to-face confrontation. It was more like, sneak up, grab a meatbag, cut his throat out, keep moving.

I mean, I know how to perform the actions, but I don't honestly know if I could slaughter another human being with a stabbing weapon in close-quarter combat. I really think it would be easier to pull a trigger than to gut a zipperhead with a knife.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
I have to say some folks need to do more study on this. I am no expert but folks in Iraq and Afghanistan are not using knives and bows to defend their homes.

Hell no, they're using AK47s and RPGs and all sorts of anti-personnel ordnance leftover from and supplied by the Russian occupation.

But you can't really compare Iraq & Afghanistan to America in a SHTF scenario... Iraq & Afghanistan — in fact, all the Middle Eastern Nations — are a CROSSROADS of military conflict dating back into antiquity.

America, on the other hand, is a massive, heavily-protected but essentially nonmilitary population.

While knives and bows have thier place they will not be your pirmary defensive weapon even if your Rambo. You should hould have a least a decent rifle and a pistol. Next a shotgun and a 22. A 22 can do most of the hunting and ammo is very cheap also good for honing your shooting skills without spending a fortune on ammo. All of those weapons can be suppressed if you don't want to draw attention. A bow or crossbow can be good though for hunting too.

A decent rifle, handgun and shotgun... Three specific tools for three purposes. Good. But I think we may be placing too much emphasis on firepower — perhaps this is because you know our right to bear arms is under constant attack, right?

I think we need to use our heads to come up with alternate weapons.

I mean, I grew up on a ranch in East Texas, and I learned from an early age about trapping, which can bring in as much meat as you want, although most people used traps to discourage coyotes and other varmints from scavenging on their property. It was common to see people laying traps for coons and possums, for example, because those guys are pests!

TRAPPING is going to be the preferred method of bringing in the bacon, so to speak, in post-apocalyptic America. I mean, you can trap and snare practically anything. I caught a deer in a snare one time, so I know the things work.

The advantage of trapping, primarily, is that it's something you can do covertly, over a broad area, thus sustaining yourself and family without drawing attention.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 3/28/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   

A lot of these types of improvised devices you read about are plausible in theory but in practice just plainly don't work. For instance, the "booby trap" you described with the bullet and pipe, and the guy steps on the bullet and the nail pushes into the primer and goes BOOM........Wouldn't work. Or at least not reliably.

There called toe popper.
They are dangerous to make because you have to file the head of the cartridge to get the primer paper thin.
The VC in Vietnam made and used a lot of them.
And a number of VC lost fingers making them.

And for the original poster
I would use a bull barrel rifle but in 308 NATO.

And for a knife i would use a cheap survival type knife of the type with the hollow handle with a cap on it.
I would just make sure the cap threads were pipe threads so i could take the cap off and mount it on a 5 foot aluminum pipe.
Being cheap i would have three of the knives in case one or more got broken.
The pipe could be used as a walking staff or as a weapon with the knife on it.
It would be a good weapon to take someone out at night silently.
www.nudaybladesblog.com...
www.1800prepare.com...
www.aceros-de-hispania.com...

[edit on 28-3-2010 by ANNED]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

I think the most useful weapons to train for are the ones that can readily be made from anything in the woods itself. Like you said in one post, bullets will eventually be spent, guns will eventually break OR be rarely used because of scarce ammo over time. The best bet is to use knives, which can be sharpened and/or repaired easily enough (or remade even), my personal favorite is a walking stick because I train in hanbojutsu. Im a tall guy so I have a big and tall 42'' black cane that's perfect, and as sturdy as a lead pipe from 'Streets of Rage'

Since I have a knee problem at times from a torn ACL, its good to have it, and I have a legitimate reason for carrying it. Overall I can still sprint, climb and fight with no problem so this is my absolute favorite because its so close to me at all times.

Another favorite is the sling, which can be made SO easily with a leather pouch and some cordage. Tons of damage, longer range than a bow(less accuracy though *sad face*) and you can outfit an army with them at no cost.

So there you have it: If you catch me out when SHTF ill have a knife, cane & sling. But, chances are you wont catch me ''out'', lol, I'll be in the tree above you! =P

edit for spelling!

[edit on 28-3-2010 by Tanulis]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tanulis

I think the most useful weapons to train for are the ones that can readily be made from anything in the woods itself. Like you said in one post, bullets will eventually be spent, guns will eventually break OR be rarely used because of scarce ammo over time. The best bet is to use knives, which can be sharpened and/or repaired easily enough (or remade even), my personal favorite is a walking stick because I train in hanbojutsu. Im a tall guy so I have a big and tall 42'' black cane that's perfect, and as sturdy as a lead pipe from 'Streets of Rage'

Since I have a knee problem at times from a torn ACL, its good to have it, and I have a legitimate reason for carrying it. Overall I can still sprint, climb and fight with no problem so this is my absolute favorite because its so close to me at all times.

Another favorite is the sling, which can be made SO easily with a leather pouch and some cordage. Tons of damage, longer range than a bow(less accuracy though *sad face*) and you can outfit an army with them at no cost.

So there you have it: If you catch me out when SHTF ill have a knife, cane & sling. But, chances are you wont catch me ''out'', lol, I'll be in the tree above you! =P

edit for spelling!

[edit on 28-3-2010 by Tanulis]

I can tell you there's antique firearms that are still shootin' nowadays. Guns last a looong time. That's why they weigh a fair bit too.

Even the medievel era firearm weapons (handgunners) tend to be left over as they were beasts and made to last.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
i also sugest you get guns that are common caliber, your 300 wsm may have great ballistics and all but you will run out of ammo quickly , and you may not have time or equipment to reload.rifle is queen of the battle field, shotgun is f close up & moving targets & specialty ammo,pistols are f instant point-blank encounters,you must get best quality weapons you can, ammo too.Knife tests .com has good info , for sharpened prybars.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I myself prefer a powerful crossbow and a heavy duty slingshot. Guns need lead, brass, and gun powder. A slingshot can fire rocks, nuts and bolts, ball bearings, dog turds, etc. Arrows can be made from trees and a little piece of sharp metal or glass or even a nail.

Also, crossbows and slingshots are a lot quieter than those guns. When the SHTF, I don't think I'd want to be making a whole lot of noise, especially while trying to hide and survive in the woods, woods that will be filled with others looking for something tasty to eat too. I'll be able to hunt you down too because of your gun sounds. You'll have a much harder time trying to find out where I'm hiding and hunting. Of course, I'll still have my guns for backup, but if I could only take one weapon with me, it would be a toss up between a crossbow or one of those heavy duty slingshots you can strap to your arm.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Divinorumus]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I agree everyone should take a minimum of 4-10 guns when bugging out. That way I will have a variety to choose from when I come across your corpse after you succumb to dehydration and exhaustion.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Hey Doc Velocity. The pig-sticker you had made is very nice. I'm from Missouri, and was wondering if you could U2U me the name and location of the person who made it. If not, its no big deal.
Thanks in advance.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

Hell no, they're using AK47s and RPGs and all sorts of anti-personnel ordnance leftover from and supplied by the Russian occupation.

But you can't really compare Iraq & Afghanistan to America in a SHTF scenario... Iraq & Afghanistan — in fact, all the Middle Eastern Nations — are a CROSSROADS of military conflict dating back into antiquity.

America, on the other hand, is a massive, heavily-protected but essentially nonmilitary population.

A decent rifle, handgun and shotgun... Three specific tools for three purposes. Good. But I think we may be placing too much emphasis on firepower — perhaps this is because you know our right to bear arms is under constant attack, right?

I think we need to use our heads to come up with alternate weapons.

I mean, I grew up on a ranch in East Texas, and I learned from an early age about trapping, which can bring in as much meat as you want, although most people used traps to discourage coyotes and other varmints from scavenging on their property. It was common to see people laying traps for coons and possums, for example, because those guys are pests!

TRAPPING is going to be the preferred method of bringing in the bacon, so to speak, in post-apocalyptic America. I mean, you can trap and snare practically anything. I caught a deer in a snare one time, so I know the things work.

The advantage of trapping, primarily, is that it's something you can do covertly, over a broad area, thus sustaining yourself and family without drawing attention.

— Doc Velocity

Very good points Doc. It reminded me of a good article entitled Crossbows and Other Useless Survival Weapons

A must read for any SHTF scenario and it agrees with you that snares and trapping are the best SHTF tools for putting meat on the table and staying covert.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Hahahaha

Poison blow darts

Hahahahahahaha

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
M1 Garand ( soon will get one)*1
12 guage shotgun (can't remember spesific type, think remington)
Hunting bow (57 lbs draw)*1
Hunting knife*
Hatchet *
Machete*
Big ax
Saw (not weapon but important)
*will bring (*1 will bring one or the other)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join