It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pollution from Asia Circles Globe at Stratospheric Heights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
www.physorg.com...

The economic growth across much of Asia comes with a troubling side effect: pollutants from the region are being wafted up to the stratosphere during monsoon season. The new finding, in a study led by scientists at the National Center for Atmospheric Research, provides additional evidence of the global nature of air pollution and its effects far above Earth's surface.

I wonder the future implications this might have on our planet. Surely this must be happening all over the world as well.

Enjoy

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
And that would make interesting a study on what the chemicals are that are going up to the stratosphere. I would imagine that could have detrimental effects much greater than CO2. And I don't think we will have very much cooperation with getting China and some of the other countries to curtail their emissions as that would be very costly for a developing nation like China.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

I find this to be one of the most terrifying articles I have ever read. Why isn't this on the front page of every paper around the world?!

Where are the people who care about this world and what we are doing to it? I grew up in a time that we were very concious of what our footprints were, and I have tried to live my life without excess of damage while I am here, and try to leave a little something positive when I go, I do not understand the unsensitive approach today's society has when it comes to humans polluting this beautiful planet!

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

This doesn't really surprise me. Most of our electronic waste is shipped back to China to be melted down into basic metals because they don't have as many restrictions as the US does. Most of the toxic pollutants from this melting ends up in streams and rivers and ultimately in the general water supply.

As for the air pollution spreading around the globe, if you look at the ash spewed by most volcanoe eruptions, it can usually be detected on the other side of the globe.

top topics

join