It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Verizon Halts FiOS Expansions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Verizon Halts FiOS Expansions

www.maximumpc.com

If you were holding out hope that Verizon would run some fiber to your house and save you from the cable company, think again. A Verizon spokesperson has clarified the company’s position on the future of FiOS. Verizon will not be laying any fiber in cities where it is not already underway. They will, however, be continuing to hook up homes and businesses in cities where the rollout has already started.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Well there you have it America. I myself have been screaming at 5mbs, which in my area is average. Hoping that one of these companies would start getting the ball rolling but as it is, these companies are not wanting to spend money to get us up to speed with the rest of the world. These companies are laying fiber way to slow imo when you consider some other areas of the world are running at up to 100mbs. If some other members of our community are from different countries please chime in on what you think.

www.maximumpc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
That really sucks, I love my FiOS

I can downloaded a 4 Gb file in like 30 minutes.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
That's what happens when you spend as much money as they did on advertising and roll out a product that you are building the backbone from the ground up. Comcast already has fiber and is around the same price in my area with average speeds of 12 mb for their normal package.

We will continue to see leaps in technology and they should ad CSS speeds of 125mb services off existing fiber. I bet we get 25mb as an average in the next year or so.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

In my area though, there are still people that can get nothing but satellite if they want broadband. The urban part of my county allows you to choose one cable company and that is it. There is no competition aside from dsl (which is fairly expensive for the crap speeds) and satellite which is the same speed as the cable company but at a higher price.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
We were all supposed to have super-fast broadband service several years ago, but that didn't work out too well. It seems these companies are doing everything in their power to keep our internet access speeds as slow as possible.

If I were the paranoid sort (which I just happen to be
), I might speculate that the RIAA/MPAA have a hand in what appears to be a conspiracy to keep our bandwidth as limited as possible.

TA

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Guys. Fiber optic trunk line are ALREADY in the ground connecting every major city in the US. I know because I worked for Level 3 Communications that did it with McroSoft and AT&Tin 1999. Here in Connecticut they connect every city in the state. It's the minor lines from the main that they don't want to pay for and the use fee from Level 3!. My fiber optic connection is only 25 bucks a month and that's with 10 megs upstream and 10 down! My cable before it was changed over was 49.00 and slow as snot for DSL!

Zindo

Forgot to add- crystal clear TV and radio!

[edit on 3/27/2010 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Sounds like Verizon ran out of $$$.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Sure, they have been in the works for years, but why does it seem as one poster mentioned that it is being halted? Every major city is nice and all but not nearly enough. I myself believe that until the internet is regulated (which would be bad) speeds will continue to be slow. I pay around 60 bucks a month right now and that is 5mbs.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I love my HSDPA Wireless 3G Wireless Connection. It screams along ,oh I'd say 100kps and on a good day I can get 196kbs. How lucky am I?

Things is, I can go anywhere with it and seeing as I love Camping and Caravanning, It makes it easy for me to hop on ATS and see what's happening.

I hate it though when all I get is around 28kps. It makes it hard then. But, I'll take the Bad with the Bad..

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
The Mayor of the city of Boston for years has blocked Verizon from implementing FiOS in the city. He gets campaign contributions from Comcast so you have to question his motives. Hopefully newer technologies will save the city from becoming third world when it comes to internet connectivity. Whatever happened to consumer choice and competition?

City of Boston mayor is full of fail.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

My fiber optic connection is only 25 bucks a month and that's with 10 megs upstream and 10 down!

But compared to some places in the world, that's still a snail's pace:

Japan, France, Korea, Sweden, and New Zealand led all countries surveyed in advertised broadband download speeds (see Figure 1). Japan led all countries with an advertised 93,693 Mbits per second speed, followed by France at 44,157 Mb/s, Korea at 43,301 Mb/s, Sweden 21,423 Mb/s, and New Zealand at 13,595 Mb/s broadband speed.
source

There's quite a bit of a difference, there and no logical reason we should be so far behind when it comes to this technology.

TA

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

Ya' got me there Amigo! That's blazing along! I know the only thing I hate worse is a slow connection. I remember when a T-1 or T-2 line was the absolute best. It makes no sense to have the capability and not be able to use it! I keep getting offers to pay more for 100 megs/sec but it's another 30 bucks a month and even then, from what you have in that link, not worth it!
Zindo

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Look I don't even want to hear about slow conections. I am making due with a .675mbs hook up. It is advertised as .750 but never reaches that speed. It was either that speed for $20 a month or pay the astronomical prices of Hughes Net. They wanted $70 a month for 1mbs. They only want $60 a month if you pop $300 for the equipment.

On topic AT&T was rumored to be appealing for the right to sell off or halt service on all land line phones. The reason is because cell phones are set to eclipse land lines and the profits are fading. Sounds to me like the telecoms are preparing to just dump their hard line customers flat.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

They also want those phone numbers back so they can reactivate them on the cell network. They are starting to have problems with running out of numbers and keeping the 12 digit sequence. They do not want to try making it 13 or 14 numbers dialed. The equipment isn't set up for that!

Zindo

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tomis_Nexis
Sounds like Verizon ran out of $$$.

Considering they sold Fios to frontier in some markets I would say yes.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ventian

With companies needing to offset losses from the recent Health Care legislation, it will only get worse for us.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Thats true. My mom and bro both work at a small engines shop and they are expecting to be jobless within the next few years.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Man, and I thought I was doing well with 12 meg line. Wish dial up would die off though. Pain in the arse to work on a computer when you need to download something at the site. But, that's kind of a different topic...

But the truth is, you need that speed with the new operating systems. Dial up just isn't going to cut it with Windows 7 updates, and beyond. And anti-virus updates are huge too, you know, when you are talking about dial up.

Anyway, would love to see better prices on plans when faster technology rolls in. Anyone should be able to get a 1 meg line on the cheap. This should replace the cheap dial up plans. 1 meg is old news. Making satellite affordable for everyone would help those in remote areas.

I feel like Verizon drags its feet on things. Some areas, not far from my house still don't get slow DSL. They must not feel it is worth the investment, even though people want something better than dial up.

Troy

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
The whole "Fibre to Home" thing is an advertising ploy to make people feel special.

You can get speeds of up to 1Gb on an electrical connection, provided you are not far from the distribution point in the street, which will be connected to the core network by fibre optic as has been the case for well over a decade.

Simply use an ethernet connection into a local mux, then aggregate the traffic onto high bandwidth fibre connections.

To be honest, if a telco is operating a network WITHOUT fibre, they are in the stone age, but I digress.

Here in the UK, Virgin have started using the old BT telegraph poles to expand their fibre network into area's they don't have a presence (stole my idea, bastards...).

They already offer speeds of 50Mbs (which I have
) and once their roll out to area's not covered by their existing network is complete, they will offer 200Mps.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join