It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Suicide Bomber Lured CIA Agents to Their Deaths

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

How Suicide Bomber Lured CIA Agents to Their Deaths

abcnews.go.com

Humam al-Balawi, the Jordanian double agent who killed seven CIA employees in a suicide bombing in Afghanistan last December, lured the agents to their deaths by convincing them that as a doctor he might have access to al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri, according to current and former intelligence officials. The death toll was especially high, say the officials, because the agents had gathered to give Balawi a present – a birthday cake.

"They have to take risks, but this was a complete breakdown of traditional tradecraft,"" said a former senior intelligence official familiar with th
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Setting up a birthday cake and party led to their deaths. I hope that they learn never to set up a birthday cake ever again. Its possible that the terrorist knew what was being plan, a cake that was poisoned and he decided to return the favor. In any case it was a brilliant plan to counterattack against the CIA. Course it got the CIA madder. I pity those who were captured by the CIA.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
That's a cute story but I doubt it's the whole truth, if any of it is true at all.

They had enough time to make up a good one too, don't you think?

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
To have that many field operators in one place at one time is a no-no is the ops playbook. My understanding is that security elements were preparing to search him despite him being an asset whom they had worked with regularly in the past. I feel very confident in saying the "birthday cake" aspect is more of a story than actual fact spun by those in media who do what and say the CIA wishes them to. But, I'm sure there are untold/unmentioned parts of the whole story that will never be spoken except within very exclusive circles. - Take care, Mike

[edit on 3/27/2010 by mikelee]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Remember the rule guys!

"Cover stories must be believable"!

This is a complete lie and we all know it. Maybe we can make up our own speculations?

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
ABC is full of crap. However the story is TRUE, just not in ABC's words.

www.msnbc.msn.com...
www.haaretz.com...

Just some links.

It's funny though, that when people on ATS (I'm guessing Americans) see a story of their top notch CIA agents getting killed, they automatically deny it happened...

...."NO! YOU LIE!!! OUR GUYS ARE BETTER THAN THAT!" Yeah, I'm sure the CIA did a crackerjack job, just like they did with the WMD's in Iraq. Bravo douches.

[edit on 27-3-2010 by Tomis_Nexis]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Tomis_Nexis

In my own experience in gov service, the "story" released in cases like this is more often than not, either part of the entire scenario or just a wash cover for obvious reasons.

When it comes to the CIA Americans are not the only ones whose opinions of their intelligence services are viewed through filtered glasses. I prefer to say that we (Americans) know that the CIA is in the business of spying among other well known nefarious actions and the nature of that very business revolves around a reliance of deceptiveness and less than honest methodologies to fulfill any given mission. Take care...Mike

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mikelee

So you worked for the service (apparently a lot of ATSer's worked for the US Fed, it's laughable at this point). I'm guessing not the CIA which means you'd have no contact with anyone there or any idea what/how/when/why anything that happens happens. Take care - Tom.

[edit on 27-3-2010 by Tomis_Nexis]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Tomis_Nexis

My post isn't about myself. But since you cited your interest I sent you a U2U. Take care..Mike

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mikelee

Posted back to your U2U.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Although mistakes happen, I'm of the opinion that they're covering up something much worse than what they're describing. As stated above, the CIA's cover story may contain little or no relation to the actual events. Congress has proved that they will accept any loosely-knitted story so the CIA doesn't have to try very hard to appease them.

new topics

top topics

join