It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas "pole tax" overturned. Sin taxes a violation of Church & State separation?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
No, not that kind of Poll Tax, this was a stripper pole tax. Apparently Texas, in an attempt to wring every possible penny out of the voting public, attempted to impose a tax on strip club patrons.

Judge strips Texas of its 'pole tax' on erotic dancing
The Legislature's levy, $5 per club patron, is to finance programs. The state will appeal.

HOUSTON — Texas was forced by federal law to end its poll tax on voters four decades ago, and now another levy has put the Lone Star State in constitutionally murky waters: the "pole tax."

Texas lawmakers last year imposed a $5-per-patron fee on strip joints to raise more than $40 million annually for anti-sexual-assault programs and healthcare for the uninsured.

The fee, which took effect Jan. 1, infuriated the owners of Texas' 162 strip clubs, who said politicians were cynically taxing a population they knew would not fight back. After all, critics reasoned, men who make a habit of drinking and stuffing currency in the attire of scantily clad women are usually not eager to tell the world about it at legislative hearings.

"It's not like Al Sharpton is going to show up and protest that we're being discriminated against," said a man who identified himself only as Dave, as he exited the Penthouse Club in Houston.

On March 28, however, Texas strip club devotees found a powerful ally: An Austin judge declared the pole tax unconstitutional, saying it infringed on expression protected by the 1st Amendment.

Travis County District Judge Scott H. Jenkins said in his ruling that laws limiting such expression had to pass strict constitutional tests and that the pole tax didn't because, among other things, indigent healthcare had no connection to strip joints.

Read more: L.A. Times

The government tendency to impose "sin taxes" on behaviors they seek to suppress has gone into overdrive. It seems, with govt budgets stretched to the limits, various municipalities and state governments are creating new sins that need to be taxed to death.

Here in Philly, the city is trying to impose a Soda Sin Tax in order to meet the city's budget shortfalls.

It seems, with city and state governments budgets growing ever more strained to make ends meet, new "sins" are being created every day just for the purpose of generating more revenue.

I thought it was the Church's job to define what sin is. Are the city and state governments who impose these "sin taxes" crossing over the thin line separating Church and state?

(maybe I should have put this in the "Conspiracies in Religion" forum)

[edit on 3/27/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
In the ever increasing intelligence of government, a new bureaucracy has been forwarded by the Obama administration.

It is a panel to see how to balance the budget. It would be a body consisting of 200 new people in each state and another 16,000 people in Washington.

The varying divisions would do a 10 year study to forward a plan. This will be funded by the new breathing tax. This tax will be designed by a new bureaucracy created by Washington and will consist of 175 people in each state and 15,000 people in Washington. This bureaucracy will be funded by a new tax on..............I cannot think of a new tax.

This message brought to you by the idiot lawyers of America. Where we strive to frell you at every chance we can get.

Get rid of some frelling people in government and quit spending money you do not have you frelling morons!

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Oh, heck!

I should've posted pics in the OP!

If there's no photographic or video evidence, then it never happened.

Well, better late than never. Here's a U-tube vid showing what they were trying to tax;

(wipes drool from chin)

And to think, those Texas prudes were trying to tax to death this fine display of female athleticism.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Awesome video. I wonder why this "thread" has not "taken off" the ground, so to speak.

[edit on 3/27/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I thought it was the Church's job to define what sin is.

It is, but who cares about that pesky "separation of church and state" clause in that stupid "Constitution" dealie?

Are the city and state governments who impose these "sin taxes" crossing over the thin line separating Church and state?

Well, maybe, but it's for the "collective good." If those pervy, bourgeois strip-club patrons have money to put down strippers' G-strings, then they've got money to help fund my [insert entitlement here].

[/sarcasm]

Good find, S&F, and an extra star for the video.

TA

[edit on 27-3-2010 by TheAssociate]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

I don't know why it hasn't taken off either. It's got all the elements; sex, greedy politicians, unfair taxation, I even managed to work in that separation of Church and state angle, Plus I found video to back up the thread.

I just don't know what's got into ATS lately.

reply to post by TheAssociate

Thanks for checking out my thread. Glad you enjoyed the vid. I know I sure did.

Well, maybe, but it's for the "collective good." If those pervy, bourgeois strip-club patrons have money to put down strippers' G-strings, then they've got money to help fund my [insert entitlement here].

Yeah, but you have to remember that every dollar the govt steals in taxes is one less dollar going down some poor stripper's G-string. After viewing the video evidence, I would say those girls earned every penny of that money and are much more entitled to it than some dirt-bags in the government.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
If they can tax gasoline, tobacco, alcohol, and fast food, I don't see why they can't tax this. It's a "luxury" plain and simple. And a $5 tax? Usually you have a two drink minimum ($10 atleast) and I've seen many guys drop $50-$100 on one dancer. Pretty much a non-issue being blown out of proportion in my eyes.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazyinthemiddle
If they can tax gasoline, tobacco, alcohol, and fast food, I don't see why they can't tax this. It's a "luxury" plain and simple. And a $5 tax? Usually you have a two drink minimum ($10 atleast) and I've seen many guys drop $50-$100 on one dancer. Pretty much a non-issue being blown out of proportion in my eyes.

Yeah, that's right, they tax this and this and that, so what's one more tax added on top of that, and then another and another and another one on top of that one yet. Heck, lets just add new taxes to everything! At least then they can't complain that we're discriminating.

BTW, you seem to know an awful lot about strip clubs.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Haha. I went to one on my 18th birthday (it's a right of passage!) and went with a couple other guys on their 18th birthdays. And yeah, the government does tax a lot. But, there are a lot of services that I really like, roads, EMT services, and, well, that's about it. I'm sure there are more but I can't think of anything else right now.

new topics

top topics

join