It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Sets April 5 Launch Date for Shuttle Discovery-only a few to go!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Article:

The space shuttle Discovery is set to launch April 5 on one of NASA's few remaining shuttle flights to the International Space Station, mission managers announced Friday after settling concerns over potential valve leaks.

Space shuttle managers have repeatedly said that they are confident they will be able to complete the remaining four shuttle flights in 2010 as planned. However, a report issued Thursday by NASA's Inspector General office found that given the history of shuttle flight challenges and delays, a shuttle retirement date in January or February of 2011 is more likely.

Source: www.foxnews.com...

Well, truly an end to an era. I have to ask though, isn't it about time we stop strapping our fine men and women to rockets when we apparently have far more advance tech to do so? Or am I wrong? Kind of old school anymore-if you believe in UFO's etc, or that man a is responsible for all teh unexplained craft.

Well, we shall see where NASA goes under POTUS Obama's administration. Look like the UK is jumping in the game and India and/or Japan plan on on going to the moon real quick.

(changed H1 tags to EX tags)

[edit on Sun Mar 28 2010 by Jbird]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I was excited to hear that, the missions might be extended into Feb 2011. depending on how orbitor processing and flight this year go.

Thumbs up on that and for the April 5th Launch!

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I starred and flagged your thread because I wanted to show how important threads are even if they dont get much attention.

You thread has been linked to, by a much more popular thread, making this thread equally as important, yet underappreciated.

It happens all the time.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
Article:

The space shuttle Discovery is set to launch April 5 on one of NASA's few remaining shuttle flights to the International Space Station, mission managers announced Friday after settling concerns over potential valve leaks.

Very sad to see the end of an era with no USA participation in the launch vehicles after the shuttle:

carol-sandy1.blogspot.com...

NASA's decades-old shuttle program will end in September. After that supplies and personnel will be ferried to the ISS by unmanned vehicles operated by other countries. U.S. astronauts will be transported back and forth via Russian Soyuz capsules. The Bush administration's Constellation program has been canceled. However, the U.S. is investing in the emerging commercial space industry. NASA's larger vision for the U.S. space program has yet to be announced. Until then we will be watching the end of an era in U.S. space flight.

So I guess we better enjoy these last few shuttle flights we have left.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

But thats what makes me ask, or think rather, that we (US) has something else going on. Relying on other countries to get our guys into space! I just don't see NASA saying to India: Hey, we would like to send up a few of our most highly trained and educated space people-can we hitch a ride? Maybe now would be okay but what if something happened down the road between the two countries-and they say: No, take a hike. Then what would we do?

They (NASA) has to be up to something-or has been up to something that enables them to come and go from Space (unnoticed mostly). This makes me think even more that we do possess superior craft and tech-therefore-most of the UFOs seen are ours.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I thought maybe someone might be interested in the helium valve that was in question in that OMS POD.

Image of it here:
www.nasa.gov...
Should look how simple of a design it is, yet cause some confusion for sure!
Image disassembled
www.nasa.gov...
Image source page:
www.nasa.gov...

Thumbs

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
reply to post by Arbitrageur

They (NASA) has to be up to something-or has been up to something that enables them to come and go from Space (unnoticed mostly). This makes me think even more that we do possess superior craft and tech-therefore-most of the UFOs seen are ours.

As much as I would like to believe that, I've seen no evidence for it. Here are the facts as I know them:

Resupply contracts for ISS:

NASA awards resupply contracts for ISS after shuttle retires in 2010

NASA announced that it had awarded two resupply contracts for the International Space Station (ISS). The contracts went to two smaller firms rather than giants Lockheed Martin or Boeing. The $3.5 billion contracts account for 20 resupply missions before the year 2016 when NASA will presumably have its next-gen Ares I rocket fully in service (trials will continue through at least 2014).

Orbital Sciences Corporation of Dulles, VA was awarded $1.9 billion for eight flights. Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) of Hawthorne, CA was awarded $1.6 billion for 12 flights. The contracts call for a "fixed-price indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity" service ability.

Recently, NASA agreed to pay the Russian space program $141 million for resupplying ISS via Soyuz rocket launches.

I wonder why Space-X is so much cheaper? Seems like they should have given them more launches, the other company costs way more.

So that covers cargo, and regarding crew, the wikipedia article is ambivalent about whether the Russians will be providing the crew ferry service:

en.wikipedia.org...

Executive Policy (ie, the White House) is firm that there will be no extension of the shuttle retirement date, and thus no US capability to launch crews into orbit until the Ares I/Orion system becomes operational in 2014 at the very earliest. He appeared to indicate that he did not see purchase of Russian launches for NASA crews as politically viable following the 2008 South Ossetia war, and hoped the new US administration will resolve the issue in 2009 by extending shuttle operations beyond 2010.

On September 7, 2008, NASA released a statement regarding the leaked email, in which Griffin said:
"Administration policy is to retire the space shuttle in 2010 and purchase crew transport from Russia until Ares and Orion are available."
[

So according to that, for most if not all of 2011, 2012, 2013, and part of 2014, the US will have no launch capabilities, and realistically it may be 2016 before we do.

Even if they keep the shuttles around it seems unlikely they will have the spare parts to put them back into service.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
The Clock is counting down, the T-43hr clock stated at 0300 Friday April 2, 2010.

Nasa says everything looks good for Monday.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
No more than 35 minutes until launch, for those interested.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
just 13 Minutes to go,i've never seen a launch happen on the internet or otherwise,should be interesting.
this is the sort of news i like seeing.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
8 mins to launch..

Live on FOX News UK and Red Button Via Sky News.

Launch, launch, launch

new topics

top topics

join