It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

has your compass changed??poll question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
just a poll question on my pole shift changes thread.

have you used your compass ages ago and checked recently and found that it is unbalanced to what it read before, in the same position??

a few people have experienced this..

does your compass appear magnetic off ie..north is 60 degrees West of North

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Just checked my compass. No change.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jumpingbeanz

I use a compass quite often to set up the cardinal points of my alter when doing rituals and my compass readings are exactly the same as they have always been (at least here in North Yorkshire UK)

Woody

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Looking through the peep hole, north still points to the big water oak 2 miles away..so unless the earths crust is sliiping the landmarks are still in the same line....

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Other than the usual declination settings of when I travel, I will have to say no.

Sorry

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
My compass still points the same direction as it has.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

thanks i'm just sifting out through all these online pieces that people have said about their own compasses going nuts...

perhaps different places different events can affect also, but generally it looks normal so far.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I think you're asking this to reference another of your threads about "pole shift"??

If so...do you not understand how MAJOR such an event would be?

For aviation and maritime navigation, just to name two aspects. Any huge change in magnetic pole direction would be IMMEDIATELY noticed!

Over the years, the magnetic pole can vary a little bit....even if it is measured in terms of miles or kilometers, it amounts to only a fraction of degree, when measured relative to 'TRUE' North, or South. ('TRUE' refers to the axis of Earth's rotation).

Here is a small example, of real-world change. Taking just ONE airport in the USA, to illustrate: National Airport (KDCA) outside Wahington, DC.

The primary runway there (currently) is aligned north/south. Runway numbers aren't random, they are assigned according to the magnetic direction, rounded to the closest ten degrees.

That is hard to understand, so let me explain --- Say a runway heading, when measured, is 360 degrees (north). Then, that runway is numbered "36" (pronounced 'three-six', NOT 'thirty-six'). of ocurse, the reciprical is '18' ('one-eight'). See, the last zero is dropped, and the number is rounded up or down according to which it is closest to.

I mention this because, about ten years ago, at KDCA the runway (main, longest) was "18/36". It is, today, "01/19". Why?

Well, more and more accurate measurements are taken, periodically. And, to maintain standards, the runway designations may change to reflect the more accurate magnetic direction. BUT, how much change?

Well....look at the difference between 360-degrees (or, 000-degrees) and 010-degrees.

IF the runway is actually aligned at 004.9 degrees....then it is rounded down to "360", and called "runway 36". IF it is at 005.1 or more, clockwise towards 010, THEN it will be "Runway 01".

See?

It is a matter of fractions of degrees, sometimes, that will result in a numbering change. AND, that is about all that the minor magnetic pole 'movement' does...fractions of a degree of change, hardly significant at all. Even IF it moves many miles, in the Arctic or Antarctic. The pnaet is very large, and the difference is very hardly noticeable (except to those who are persnickety about such details).

Here, I have linked the actual and current graphic for the KDCA airport --- it is the Airport Diagram and is commonly understood and interpreted by pilots:

You can see, fromthe diagram, the actual and precise runway heading (magnetic) for RW 01 (the chart fails in proper nomenclature, IMO, so they just use a single numeral "1") is 006.2 degrees. That "rounds up" to '010'.

Conversely, the other direction is 186.2 degrees, rounds up to '190'.

I don't have to older charts, of course....but there are aerial photographs of the airport, on display, that show the SAME runway in its previous number iteration....'18/36'. I remember flying there, years ago, when it was that way, and remember when it changed (just not exactly the year...just, I knew and understood why things change, in the way I have just described).

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

TY for that...now I know...learn something new everyday...
Today, you were my teacher....

new topics

top topics

join