It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

evidence of a possible GEOMAGNETIC REVERSAL pole shift!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Where on Earth do you think "New Scientific Releases" end up -- if not in books?!?!

It should tell you something when you are the most active poster on your thread.

Perhaps you should have a conversation with us instead of merely reiterating yourself and telling us you won't read books.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jumpingbeanz

Birds loosing direction reminds me of the movie "The Core", lol Interesting.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

if you aren't going to participate in the thread, then leave, also don't leave trolling comments, and the book thing was because of another comment just like yours.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

The Poles shift all the time. In fact a new marker is put down every year because of this.

en.wikipedia.org...

It should be noted humans have lived through magnetic reversals before. It is uncertain as to if it causes tsunami's, volcano blowup's, etc. Most of it is just speculation but hey, if it does cause the world to blowup-We'll be the first to know.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I took an Earth Atmospheric Science class in university, and was told that pole shifts happen every 10 000 or so years. This has been proven. I don't know this if this is the same as a "geomagnetic pole reversal", but what is known fact is that the magnetic poles do in fact change from north to south every 10 000 or so years.

We know this because the crystal grains in new rock layers being formed in the Atlantic spreading center become magnetized to point in a certain direction, and by taking rock samples from each generation of newly formed rocks, scientists can tell when each recent reversal has occurred.

I myself asked my professor (possibly the biggest rock fan in the world), what kind of consequences would arise from a polar shift. He said that the no serious consequences would occur, except for maybe animals that use magnetism (such as migrating animals) would become confused.

Now I don't know about anyone else, but I would trust the knowledge coming from a certified university professor who has dedicated his life to studying and teaching this phenomena much more than wikipedia

Seeing as these pole reversals happen so often (on a geological scale), and their is no mass extinctions that correlate with them, I wouldn't worry too much about the ecosystems.

But our technology... maybe that's something to worry about.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

with this quote i don't think they even know!

quote//
Scientific opinion is divided on what causes geomagnetic reversals. One theory holds that they are due to events internal to the system that generates the Earth's magnetic field. The other holds that they are due to external events.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jumpingbeanz
reply to post by antonia

Scientific opinion is divided on what causes geomagnetic reversals. One theory holds that they are due to events internal to the system that generates the Earth's magnetic field. The other holds that they are due to external events.

en.wikipedia.org...

There is no evidence for any of the outlandish theories proposed. Believe what you want though. They are saying they are not sure what causes it. It's known to be a regular occurrence though.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Well said... There is no proven sound theory about what causes magnetic pole shifts/reversals... and any kind of theory put forth is 100% pure speculation, and should be treated as such.

The only things we know about these magnetic pole reversals is that they occur frequently, that they have happened MANY times in the past, and that we are overdue for one, and it is *possible* that one could occur in the near future.

The near future could be tomorrow, or in 1000 years.

It is impossible to predict.

The other thing I was taught, is that these reversals happen fairly instantaneously. The magnetic north pole isn't going to slowly move to the south over a span of thousands of years. Its going to happen extremely fast when it does.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Pole shifts [the ones relating to 2012 hype] do not "happen all the time". There are several different processes , all with different names, that are being used interchangeably, when they are not at all the same.

The geographic poles of the Earth refer to the points on the surface of the planet that are intersected by the axis of rotation. The pole shift hypothesis refers to a change in location of these poles with respect to the underlying surface. Note that this is a different phenomenon than the changes in axial orientation with respect to the plane of the ecliptic that are caused by precession and nutation.

Pole shift hypotheses are also not to be confused with geomagnetic reversal, the periodic reversal of the Earth's magnetic field (effectively switching the north and south magnetic poles). Geomagnetic reversal has more acceptance in the scientific community than pole shift hypotheses.

Link: en.wikipedia.org...

As for the type of "pole shift" that happens regularly:

Instead of spinning smoothly, the earth wobbles on its axis. By sighting telescopes on distant fixed stars and carefully measuring their apparent movement, scientists have determined that the North and South poles—the points at which the imaginary axis of rotation pierces the earth's surface—are continually on the move. Over the course of a year, they wander about the polar regions in roughly circular paths about 50 ft. in diameter.

Read more: www.time.com...

The above happens every year and nobody really notices. It certainly wouldn't be any kind of "end of the world scenario". Some scientists think that earthquakes cause the Earth to wobble, which creates the varying north and south poles, and certainly we notice them -- but feel no direct affect from the movement of the "imaginary" pole lines.

The article also goes on to say:

Furthermore, he speculates, the wobble may also cause climate changes, mountain-building, and even the occasional reversal of the earth's magnetic field.

Read more: www.time.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

A "regular occurrence"? Hardly.

It has happened a lot but it follows no pattern. The last reversal was about 780,000 years ago. There was one 180,000 years before that. Then 160,000 before that. Then 130,000 before that. Then 590,000 before that.

I would call that a lot more irregular than regular.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monts
reply to post by antonia

The other thing I was taught, is that these reversals happen fairly instantaneously. The magnetic north pole isn't going to slowly move to the south over a span of thousands of years. Its going to happen extremely fast when it does.

Please keep in mind that when you read: "Magnetic Reversals happen quickly" that you have to check whether the scientists that wrote the article are referring to a human time scale or Earth time scale. It is not always obvious.

We have no complete record of the history of any reversal, so any claims we can make are mostly on the basis of mathematical models of the field behaviour and partly on limited evidence from rocks that retain an imprint of the ancient magnetic field present when they were formed. For example, the mathematical simulations seem to suggest that a full reversal may take about one to several thousand years to complete. This is fast by geological standards but slow on a human time scale.

Link: www.geomag.bgs.ac.uk...

Further, in terms of a magnetic reversal alone, there would not be an "end to human life" scenario:

Human beings have been on the Earth for a number of million years, during which there have been many reversals, and there is no obvious correlation between human development and reversals. Similarly, reversal patterns do not match patterns in species extinction during geological history.

www.geomag.bgs.ac.uk...

An interesting topic though, is the thought that magnetic reversals and evolutionary leaps are somehow related. I linked the information on page one.

If that is true, then it would fit many criteria relating to the 2012 hype.

[edit on 27-3-2010 by lpowell0627]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Damian-007
I read somewhere that there were Mammoths found that still had remmnants of their last meal and that was Grasses and other fauna was found in their Stomachs. This would point to the Ice Age hitting at a tremendous Pace.

this is the question i am looking for answers to!

how would such an event really occur???

There is an entire thread discussing this and it can be found here:

The Mystery of the Beresovka Mammoth
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Although, I believe the general consensus in that thread was that nobody really knows.

However, the OP does a great job of ruling some of the theories out.

Also, he goes on to say:

Yet Another Scientific Theory

A worldwide Earthquake and volcanic eruption more violent that any ever recorded in history.

The crust of the earth, which floats 20 to 60 miles thick over the molten interior of our planet, is known to be composed of several plates, pressed one against the other. Where two plates meet, under titanic thrusts from every side volcanic eruptions and earthquakes may occur.

It is thought that the eruption that caused the death of the mammoths was the result of two plates grinding together and bursting open a vast seam deep within the earths crust.

In so violent an eruption, not only would fiery lava be spewed out from the interior of the earth but there would be a great dishcharge of volcanic gases.

If these gases were shot high enough into the upper atomosphere, they would be cooled to incredibly low temperatures. Then in the Upheavel, they would spiral toward the poles, eventually decending on the warm blanket of air beneath. Through this they would penetrate as violent gusts, cutting through the blanket at its thinest spots and hurtling at incredible speeds down upon the earth.

The result in localities where the gases struck would be unimaginably cold, suffiecent to produce the -150 temperature postulated by the deep-freeze experts.

The author of the thread is BlackJackal.
You might want to U2U him or something to see if he is still following his theory.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
just grrr, self-censoring here.

I'm just gonna say the world isn't going to end. Stock up on spam if you want to.

[edit on 27-3-2010 by antonia]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
As Phage has stated, there simply is no set occurrence for magnetic pole shifting, and it appears to happen randomly.

I am not, and do not claim to be a geologist, I am however a scientist in another field, and have had to learn all about magnetism in general. Here I hope to be able to explain at least a little bit about what I think may be going on.

There are a few schools of thought on what causes the geomagnetic field itself. One proposed scenario, and possibly the most scientifically accepted, is the area Dynamo theory.

Dynamo theory basically states that the mechanism that governs the magnetic field of a celestial body is the movement of liquids in the core of the celestial body. This theory coincides with what science currently knows about magnetic field theory as well.

Just as an electric current moving in a loop can create electromagnetic fields, so can a liquid with a charge moving in a circular pattern within a magnetic field. The velocity of the moving liquid charges withing the earth core through a "smaller" magnetic field, then create and stabilize the larger geomagnetic field. The core continues to rotate due to the Coriolis effect.

In the movie "The Core" I believe it was the scenario that this liquid core stopped rotating, which was the cause of some geomagnetic changes and caused some "crazy movie magic and chaos".

The question then becomes; What changes would cause the Earth's core to experience changes in its circular liquid motion?

One such theory states that changes to the continental shifting, which causes landmass to be pushed deep into the core (subduction) may cause changes in the Earth's core, thus causing fluctuations in the geomagnetic field strength.

Another proposed theory, the so called external events theory, states that an apocalyptic style asteroid or large body impacting the surface of the earth could cause the core to shift as well, possibly allowing a magnetic pole shift to occur.

What problems would we face if the magnetic poles suddenly shifted?

Well, animals would definitely take notice. Technology would however be minimally impacted, and only really in areas where the electronics rely on the earth magnetic poles for navigation are concerned.

Floods, earthquakes, and other natural disasters though? I'm not to sure about that. Its possible, but not probable.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
let us remember one thing here....
arctic ice is the result of cold temperatures...and its running out

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Are We Headed for a Pole Shift? Evidence Exists that Mass Climatic Changes May Be Imminent

quotee//
It is obvious even to the casual observer that the world's climate is changing. Proponents of the global warming theory believe that ozone depletion is to blame, but what if this is
simply a natural cycle that repeats itself every so many years? There appears to be strong points in favor of a large event in the making - points that are being countered by other scientists with seemingly plausible arguments. Proponents of the pole shift theories argue that their opponents are in denial, or worse, part of a mass coverup. Who is right and who is wrong? Let's examine some of the evidence.
www.associatedcontent.com...

Whoa whoa... your links were all interesting and everything, but up until here I have to correct you. Scientists/climatologists have NEVER said that global warming is caused by Ozone depletion. That's an entirely different atmospheric problem. Global warming is caused by the unprecedented rise in greenhouse gases via human emissions during the past century. There are many on here who doubt global warming being real or being anthropogenic, but that's all a paranoid political debate. The scientific debate was essentially settled 50 years ago (and trust me there WAS debate about global warming's existence back then). The science now, however, is overwhelming and obvious- global warming is real, it can't be explained by 'natural' forcing, it matches up very closely and obviously with human emissions of greenhouse gases, and it presents a serious threat to already-imbalanced ecosystems.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by theability

What your referring to, is the difference from North on the map, compared to true magnetic north, or AZIMUTH.

Thanks,
that's the name i couldn't think of.

now, its established that there was/is/has always been a wandering North magnetic pole, so unless the N magnetic pole suddenly shows up in the Hawaiian Latitude in a matter of hours or days.... just consider the fluxuations normal and not the precurser to a pole reversal...

thanks again
(its also good to know that peoples actually read replies)

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Russian research by Dr A. N. Dmitriev
www.tmgnow.com... -

Summary Paragraph
Current PlanetoPhysical alterations of the Earth are becoming irreversible. Strong evidence exists that these transformations are being caused by highly charged material and energetic non-uniformity's in anisotropic interstellar space which have broken into the interplanetary area of our Solar System. This "donation" of energy is producing hybrid processes and excited energy states in all planets, as well as the Sun. Effects here on Earth are to be found in the acceleration of the magnetic pole shift, in the vertical and horizontal ozone content distribution, and in the increased frequency and magnitude of significant catastrophic climatic events. There is growing probability that we are moving into a rapid temperature instability period similar to the one that took place 10,000 years ago. The adaptive responses of the biosphere, and humanity, to these new conditions may lead to a total global revision of the range of species and life on Earth. It is only through a deep understanding of the fundamental changes taking place in the natural environment surrounding us that politicians, and citizens a like, will be able to achieve balance with the renewing flow of PlanetoPhysical states and processes.

[edit on 27-3-2010 by margaretr]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by graaly

you should check out evon's videos. He has a really good theory about everything 2012.

www.timeline2012.net...

his videos make a lot of sense. Only time will tell though. I'm not going to sit around and worry about it.

WOW! I have been spending more and more time here the last 2 years and have been soaking everything in and these videos absolutely nail a lot of nagging questions I have had and ties sooo many things together that have interested me lately and makes senseof it all to me.
I cant thank you enough for posting the link....

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

I think taking an undergrad in Geology will solve pretty much all these questions.

Maybe a 1st yr English class would help too "i don't like books very mis uninformative, i will stick with new scientific releases". Not that your English is bad, just to help convey your point more effectively.

Often in science, the simplest theory is the answer. I think the woolly mammoth was probably frozen standing up because of an avalanche, or maybe it fell down a crevasse on a glacier.

Milton

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join