It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Psychology and Discussion of Height and Weight in Today's Society.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
As some of you might know, I've been working on this kind of "series" if you will, of traits in human beings that impact our day to day lives. I previously did threads on both hair and hands, and now it's time to move onto some more important traits that greatly impact us in today's society. These two biggies would be our height and weight.

Height and weight are two of those things that are easily visually seen by others. In fact, they are some of the first things I look at when I meet a new person. It's human nature to study our surroundings and other living organisms.

When I was younger, I was short and chubby. I used to get made fun of because of this in middle school and the first two years of high school. Once junior year came around, I went through a huge growth spurt and shot up to the sky, plus now that my body was taller, the fat was dispersed more, I got skinnier as well. It is a phenomenon that runs in my family, of a very late puberty, and the growth spurt that goes along with it. This all happened within the course of 6 months.

I had to get used to this new tall and skinny body, and many of my old friends, especially if I hadn't seen them in a while, were shocked at my new body. Many many people thought I was on drugs because of how skinny I got, but I wasn't on drugs. I still ate the same amounts of food, it was just the way my body was now. I got very clumsy, and was bumping into things and stumbling over myself a lot.

Several years have passed, and I am now very comfortable in my body. I am still skinny and tall, and I do eat a lot of food. I am about 135 pounds and 6'0 tall. I still stumble over myself every once in a while, but I have learned to control my body vehicle quite well.

My height has affected my life greatly. I stand at 6'0 tall, which is pretty standard for a male, and I am taller than some of my guy friends. I'm not trying to brag here, but my height plays a huge role in my interactions with people. It feels great to be at this height, since I can talk face to face with other males, and be taller than most girls, which is what most girls want, is a tall guy.

I have this one male friend who is 5'4, and he has told me openly how this has affected his life. His girlfriend is the exact same height as him, and he says he feels embarrassed when she wears high heels, because she then becomes taller than him.

Another aspect of this whole height thing is when I see guys that are taller than me, I subconsciously become jealous. In my experience, when someone is taller than me, it makes me feel lesser than them having to stare up to talk to them.

People still tease me about how skinny I am. Some of the comments really hurt. I have been trying to bulk up, which helps a bit, but still I am pretty damn skinny.

Now in regards to the title, I mentioned "today's society." If you watch commercials these days, you will see that there are a ridiculous amount of them (mostly targeting women), about losing weight. Some models on the runways are super duper skinny, which can influence some women's thoughts on their own bodies. In Hollywood, the stars have perfect bodies, and this can make normal men and women feel inadequate, but like I said, this affects women more than men in most cases. This had led to disorders such as anorexia and bulimia. You can easily see how today's society and today's media have affected what the ideal human should look like.

I would now love to hear your comments about how your height and weight have affected you throughout your life, and what people's reactions were if you went through big physical changes in regards to height and weight. Thank you and I look forward to to your thoughts on the matter.

[edit on 27-3-2010 by SolarE-Souljah]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I also wanted to add:

So you know how they have things so you can gain or lose weight?

Do you think they will ever make something that can modify height? I'm not talking about platform shoes. I'm talking about like a supplement you can take to grow taller? That would be kind of cool.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah
I also wanted to add:

So you know how they have things so you can gain or lose weight?

Do you think they will ever make something that can modify height? I'm not talking about platform shoes. I'm talking about like a supplement you can take to grow taller? That would be kind of cool.

I don't think I can possibly lose weight...

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

what do you mean you can't lose weight?
are you already skinny like me or something?
I don't know what you mean...

[edit on 27-3-2010 by SolarE-Souljah]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

reply to post by Phlynx

what do you mean you can't lose weight?

I way 115 pounds... no way I am going to lose weight. If anything I am going to gain it.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx

I way 115 pounds... no way I am going to lose weight. If anything I am going to gain it.

Same with me! I want to find ways to gain weight!
Do your friends ever make stupid comments like "oh my god your so skinny! you need to eat more!" Jeez. People need to understand everyone has different body structures, and need to learn how to accept that.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx

Same with me! I want to find ways to gain weight!
Do your friends ever make stupid comments like "oh my god your so skinny! you need to eat more!" Jeez. People need to understand everyone has different body structures, and need to learn how to accept that.

Not my friends. If someone says that I usually don't care.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I had a similar experience as you, except I was always a little taller than everyone my age, and I shot up 6 inches or so in one year in 8th grade. I was pretty clumsy until probably my junior year or so when I started to get used to things. I am 6'5 and all through high school I weighed 180 pounds, which was quite skinny for my height and I took a lot of flak for it. I was never able to gain weight until after high school was over and I discovered beer and wasn't playing quite as many sports.

Now, unfortunately, I have gone the other way and need to lose weight, so I can see things from both sides of the weight issue at least. I love being tall and wouldn't change that for the world, but would love to lose about 20 pounds or so as I weigh 240 right now. At one point I was about 300 pounds, so I have dropped a lot. I actually took the most crap from my family once I got a bit fat. I think in my case it was worse because they were all used to me being pretty skinny before I got fat.

So, I have taken crap for being too skinny and too fat. I think for the most part there are assumptions people make when your body type isn't just how society wants it to be. If you're too skinny you're malnourished and need to eat more, if you're too fat then you eat too much. That is not always the case. I ate tons when I was skinny and I eat very little now that I'm overweight and trying to drop it, but people assume I eat like crazy just because I'm 20 pounds overweight.

As far as the height, most shorter guys seem to get jealous just like you and most women seem to like it. My brother is 6'0 and he would love to be 6'1 even, much less 6'5.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
maybe there will be something that kids can take while they are growing to help their bones increase.

I have always wondered why certain civilizations and people are short compared to another.

Why are white people so tall?

Another thing i have wondered about, if in biblical times most of the people were under 6 feet tall, could the giants mentioned in the bible be the white people invading them? I am not familiar with the bible, btw

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Well ive been pretty short my whole life, im 5"2. I never really got made fun of for it but I did get alot of comments about it. Its like I know im short I dont need to be reminded of it. They always have to mention it "Your really short" No way! I dont know lol but there you have it.

People focus alot on height, I can see why guys would feel that way if they were short. Usually girls wont date men that are shorter than them. I never understood that. If you like someone, how much they weigh and how tall they are should not matter.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeastMaster2012
I have always wondered why certain civilizations and people are short compared to another.
Why are white people so tall?

yes very interesting. What in the environment of white people back in the day required them to evolve taller? reaching for apples? seriously! We aren't giraffes!

Maybe it had to do with their diet. Not be racist, but supposedly black girls have badonkadonk butts because of eating collie greens and grits!
So maybe there was something in the white people diet back in the day that made them grow taller.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
When I was a kid I was sickly so I was very thin. I started taking steriod shots to boost my immune system. I was so thin at 16 that people always thought I was sick so I was sent to the nurse by teachers. I was 92 pounds at 5 ft3. I was Karen Carpenter thin almost because I was anrexic. I was told by the Drs I may gain weight after I get off the shots. I was so afriad to gain weight always thought I was fat. When I was 18 and I started gaining weight. by 21 I was around 145. I am currently at 163 and I am comfortable where I am at. I flucate between 155-170. I would rather have a few extra pounds than be too thin again.
I was anemic, girls bullied me and girls even envied me. It is sad when the perfect body is a size 3, no curves and flat. When I gained weight I had a beautiful woman's body. I am not big nor am I obese. I admit I am maybe 30 lbs over my ideal body weight but I am fine with that. I feel as long as I am under 200 lbs than I am not too heavy.
I am suprised that the OP is 6ft and 135lbs that sounds too thin too me. If it was 5 ft then I would say that was perfect or the person was 30 lbs more
I have been on the side of being too thin so I really don't want all the health problems. My hair fell out, I never had energy, anemia and thats when my dizzy spells began.
I still get dizzy spells but I no longer get all the attention that made me so nervous by being sickly thin. Thank Goodness.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
girls bullied me and girls even envied me.
-----------------------------------------------
It is sad when the perfect body is a size 3, no curves and flat. When I gained weight I had a beautiful woman's body.

Okay the first part, about you getting bullied by girls. It's funny, that is who bullies me the most about my weight, is girls. Most of the girls that say something about me being skinny happen to weigh more than me, and I can hear jealously in their voices when they say how skinny I am. Yeah, if you read my last thread about hands, I said I had feminine hands. Well it turns out I also have the feminine body of an Asian girl pretty much. haha. A gay guy once told me I should try and dress in drag because I would be a really pretty girl... weird.

Now onto your second statement, about what a real woman's body should be. I would rather date a girl with curves than some sickly stick. I like girls with curves. I like to be able to grab onto a nice healthy piece of female body and give it a nice squeeze. I had a girlfriend like that and I loved it.

Thank you so much for sharing.

top topics

join