It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kim Jong-il bans 2012 disaster movie - will jinx N. Korea’s ’Lucky Year’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Well Korea is certainly busy at the moment.

Apparently Kim is scrambling to stop any pirated copies of the Film "2012" from getting into circulation, it is now banned in North Korea.

Reports from Japan suggest many have been arrested and face up to Five years in prison for having a copy.

I think we must realise 5 yrs in a North Korean prison are far worse than normal penal Punishment.

He is doing this as 2012 is the start of the Rise of North Korea as an emerging

Superpower

In his mind he sees 2012 as:

The regime's reclusive leader, Kim Jong-il, has said 2012 will be the year that North Korea will “open the grand gates to becoming a rising superpower”.

This is due to the fact that:

April 15, 2012 will mark the centenary of the birth of Kim Il-sung, the founder of the nation who is still revered as The Great Leader - and remains the official head of state despite the fact that he died in 1994.

He seems to be making changes to the country too ready for the date in 2012:

Kim’s government has promised North Korea’s citizens that they will be living in a “strong and prosperous state” by 2012 and efforts are under way to spruce up the capital, Pyongyang. Among the promises from the regime is a vow to complete the 105-storey Ryugyong Hotel, which has sat unfinished since funds ran out in 1993.
T he Telegraph UK

Well I never thought there was any connection between North Korea and 2012, the most unlikely scenario, however there it is.

I just am concerned what he may do to try and claim this "Superpower" status.

Daily Mail
Red Ice
USA Used WMD in North Korea?
South Korean Navy Ship Sunk - Norths involvement Played Down

Kind Regards,

Elf

[edit on 27-3-2010 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
i thought all foreign media was banned in N.Korea.

wouldn't they see cell phones and such in your everyday movie and be confused or angered?

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Wow, his people must hate him tremendously.
They can't watch the movies they want, or even go on a vacation to another country without being shot.

Why are we in Afghanistan and Iraq when these people are being treated far worse? Oh! The Middle East has all that black slugdey stuff from the ground.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

I think most foreign media is banned, maybe some Chinese etc is allowed.

And good point about the phones.

There is though we must remember such a huge amount of technology and such like in the surrounding areas, Japan, Taiwan etc and now China, that stuff must be smuggled in regularly.

As China is the bootleg capital of the world, and North Korea has a large land border with it, Kim is trying to stop smuggled copied DVD's etc from getting in.

He always does this, but seems to be hunting as shown with great zeal any 2012 films.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Eel has banned all DVDs of the movie "2012," but what is stopping the citizens from just downloading it on their computers? At least, I think they have computers? Does their internet have blocks and filters like China's?

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

I think as they have only about 8 hours if lucky of electricity a day, and it goes to Government Military projects that is an problem.

There is no ISP in North Korea, I dont think even an Government internet works.

You cant really even make an phone call outside of North Korea from within, never mind an internet connection.

I dare say as they are soo poor, very very few have computers, and those that do are owned and paid for by the regime for government uses.

He just does not want the smuggled dvd's getting in.

He apparently has trained 1000 hackers and has them ready around the world to unleash Virus in cyber attacks on the US/UK.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Wow, that is pretty messed up! I never knew that. I always thought N. Korea and its citizens were a little bit more technologically advanced than that. I mean they have DVD players don't they? :-p

How could we not have won the Korean War?

I wonder what "Eel" has planned for 2012 to make N. Korea so prosperous and a superpower that gets him so superstitious about the movie? Hackers? Nuclear strike? Their first satellite, I think their first launch failed? A partnership with China and Russia?

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

Its what intrigues and worries me, what could he do to put himself in Superpower status, besides how all superpowers become them.

Control money? Go into Space? or take more strategic territory?

He cant do the $ thing..., no chance of getting into space, so anyhow hopefully it is just the Propoganda that comes out, and just a "mother" of all miliatary Parades past hime with lots of marching goose stepping population and tanks etc.

Oh lastly, the US never won the Korean War which is why North Korea exists, if they did the entire Korean Penninsual would be like South Korea not divided.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Agreed, it will probably just be a parade a few weeks long with high-stepping soldiers and cardboard missiles.

I always thought that when Eel's was about to die he would launch a nuke just for the hell of it. That is why I hope they don't ever get anything close to a bomb that big. It is interesting that his father is still the head of state even though he died 15+ years ago. I wonder why that is? Wouldn't Eel want to be the supreme ruler?

I know we didn't win the Korean War. I was trying to say how could we not have won, or why did we lose? North Korea didn't have tanks, bombs, an air-force, or a navy back then. They still aren't very technologically advanced. We had all these things and some back then, how did we not win?

Why did we mainly resort to man-to-man ground combat with them? Looking back on it seems like we definitely should have won the Korean War with ease. Then we wouldn't have this North Korean problem, and its citizens would be so much better off.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by tooo many pills
I know we didn't win the Korean War. I was trying to say how could we not have won, or why did we lose? North Korea didn't have tanks, bombs, an air-force, or a navy back then. They still aren't very technologically advanced. We had all these things and some back then, how did we not win?

Why did we mainly resort to man-to-man ground combat with them? Looking back on it seems like we definitely should have won the Korean War with ease. Then we wouldn't have this North Korean problem, and its citizens would be so much better off.

One word.. Begins with C, ends in hina...

If it wasn't for their intervention, the US led UN forces would have crushed the North Koreans. Then China stuck it's oar in, sent thousands of men, guns, tanks and ammo and the human wave pushed the UN all the way down south. After that, it became a bit of a vicious war of attrition ending up with the current ceasefire and borders.

EDIT: as for the quality of life for North Koreans, it really depends on who you are. The Elite and their lackies, like the civil servants, live a western style life in the capital, complete with fast food outlets and all the mod cons. The rural poor are another story.

[edit on 27/3/10 by stumason]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Althopugh this was a part of it, it also was due to the terrain, North Korea is like a Jungled Afghanistan, mountains, ridges etc lots of valleys and caves but overgrown.

Tanks, etc cant get through there, it is a ambush and tactical heaven for any defending army.

With their tunnelling expertise, as it was 100 North Korean tunnellers who taught the Vietnamese, and the above and a fanatisism like th Japenese of no surrender... it had a large impact.

Anyhow Stumason I would be interested what you think Kims plan is for 2012 and "Superpower" status?

Kind Regards,

Elf

new topics

top topics

join