It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smells in Dreams?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I'm not usually one for discussing dreams but I had two dreams about two days apart that had the same overpowering 'stench' in them. A stench is the closest thing I can compare it to, as I also 'felt' it as well as smelt it. In the first dream it came in a situation where i was scared; some sort of zombie like ghost or presence was attacking me in the back garden and when I felt it approching the 'stench' happened. The second I was at the beach with some people and a huge lighting storm was approching. It was the start of some cataclysmic event but I wasn't scared, more in awe but the people I was with were.

I can't accurately describe the stench as it was like nothing I'd smelt before. It seemed to me it was the stench of fear, but it was a feeling at the same time but not the feeling of fear, I can't describe the feeling either. It was connected to fear anyway, and it was short lived and overpowering. Just wondered if anyone else had something similar as I've never experienced it before.

While I'm at it, can anyone else feel pain in dreams? If I get shot, cut, stabbed or punched etc I feel it as if it were real and in the dream its extreamly painful. I'm fine when I wake up.

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by kegs]

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Strange stuff, From my own experiences i can say i have never smelt anything in a dream, you are about the first i have heard, So i would also be intrested to know if anyone else has experienced this,

As for pain Yes i have had this alot,
I was dreaming about falling of a boat and a shark grabbed my leg,
I felt the pain alright it was like the shark was pulling my leg off,
i had to force myself to wake up,

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I have only ever had one dream with a smell in.
It was from when I was a kid, at the age of maybe 7, I am not too sure on the age.
All my life so far I have 2 dreams which I always remembered, one of them being the one with this smell in.

I cannot describe the smell at all, all I can say is that I have smelt it again a few times since then (out of dreams).

All I can remember about the dream, is this smell, a girl (don't remember an image of the girl, I can just remember a girl was involed) and some weird shapes. Like the shapes you get in the crisps "Monster Munch", lol - I can remember seeing loads of these shapes - though I cannot remember if they were solid objects, shadows, etc.

Sometimes I wonder wether it was really a dream, it is that vague.
The other 'dream' I remember as a kid, was when I was in my parents bedroom - and suddenly by the door was "Big Bird" from that kids show, cannot remember the damn name - lol. I closed my eyes, opened them again - and he was gone - was very creepy at the time.

Anyways... That is my weird 'smell' dream - something I will always remember, although I only remember 3 things about it. (The smell, the shapes and the memory of a girl).

I guess dreams with smells in are not very common?

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Dream Interpretation from Spirit Community.com.

Storm

Everything in our life is a reflection on us and this hold true in our dreams. The storm in your dreams may be a reflection of some difficulty in your life. Consider all of the details and notice if you took shelter from the storm or were you swept away by it. Did the storm pass you by, were you safe, or did you suffer? All of us experience difficulties in life and our dreams make an attempt to bring us into awareness and out of denial. Think about the storms in your life, how you will weather them, and what you can do to make them subside.

Lightning

Lightning represents energy and a fantastic, altering force. It is generally a positive dream symbol which represents the dreamers "awakened" state of consciousness. At times, a sudden shift in awareness, or unpredictable news, may shock us and leave us feeling anxious. However, enlightenment of any kind has long term positive implications. When interpreting this dream, make attempts to connect it to important and highly charged events from your daily life which have suddenly occurred or come into your awareness.

Zombie

Dreaming about the living dead may carry a powerful message. If you are "walking around like a zombie," it usually means that you are emotionally disconnected from things going on around you. You may be experiencing unhealthy detachment and are unable to appropriately feel positive or negative emotions. Currently, you may be out of touch and outside of the main flow of life. This dream could positively sever you and help you to become aware of emotional issues and circumstances in daily life that are difficult to face.

Ghosts

Some believe that the ghosts in their dreams are real representations of the dead. This is an unlikely explanation of this dream. More likely the ghost is representing a part of you that is unclear and that you do not understand. At times, ghosts represent those things that unattainable or fleeting. Demonic type of ghost images may represent your negative tendencies, unpleasant parts of personality or your "shadow." Old superstition based dream interpretations say that dreaming of friendly ghosts is a lucky omen, and that you should be receiving unexpected good luck. On the other hand, if you were very frightened by the ghost in your dream, then others will try to impose their will on you and you must be vigilant in order to stand up to it.

Smell

At times you may experience the sense of smell in your dreams. The smell could be environmental. If there is a strong smell in your sleeping environment, you may perceive it and incorporate it into your dream. Otherwise, the smell in your dreams is triggered by a memory. You may be associating your dream experience with a pleasant or unpleasant order. For example, if you are dreaming about your mother, you may smell the aroma of a food she once cooked. The smell may trigger emotions and reflect the general quality of the experience in your dream.

top topics

join