It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The conspiracy of the Indian

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
My vocal and guitar teacher is first generation American, he’s a good friend, he’s from Indian parents.
What would one call that? First generation American Indian? Except an American Indian is meant to be a people that are north American and indigenous…

Moving forward with this thread in progress, there was once a woman I loved, among only a few
She was Indian though London born; would she be called first generation English Indian?

But the point is not about her.
I visited London with her and I met her cool friends. Though this thread is about the conspiracy of the Indian and this conspiracy lies in this as well as in what is called Stonehenge; and in world wide monolith builders.
(My ex and I went to Stonehenge, I have the pics. )

A different woman, one from Uruguay, she was another of the loves of my life. She and I once traveled to Mexico and we visited some pyramids in a place called Tajin. ( I also have pics for these)

While I remain friends with both of these women, they both are considered Indian and while it makes me think of the lyrics from Cornell’s song Spoonman “All my friends are Indian, all my friends are brown and red” there is something else that is going on and it's wrong; it is this entire 500 year long record of the indigenous tribes of America being called Indians even though they are not; that’s ridiculous. It’s all based on freakin’ Columbus…

These two women, that I’ve mentioned, I onced loved them both dearly, now I love them both, though as friends merely, they are both Indians. But they cannot both be called Indians…It’s linguistically ludicrous. At the least it’s just silly

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
They cannot both be called Indians
One's from Uruguay and one's from England

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Dude ...like...

My head exploded ... and stuff.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Something Fishy
Dude ...like...

My head exploded ... and stuff.

dude, i'm glad you are digging this ... cool stuff

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I've been wondering on this for a while.
If we knew the name given to America by the Natives we could refer to them correctly?

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
One of the biggest misconceptions that people have is that Native people are called "Indian" because Columbus thought he was in India. Back then it was known as Hindustan. Actually, when he saw how the Indigenous people lived, he said "Una Gente In Dios (Not sure of spelling). What this means is "a people in God or "A people in with God." In dios was later bastardized into what it is now-Indian. I much prefer this term. I don't really like "Native American." For one, this land wasn't called "America" originally. That name came from a European explorer. Many peoples referred to it as Turtle Island. Also, if you're to use that term, you have to include the Hawaiians and American Samoans. Neither are from this continent. If you want to be precise, you should use what ever the nation is called: Cherokee, Modoc, Miami, Tlingit, Creek, or whatever. Keep in mind there are 500, each with their own clans.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Skid Mark

Fascinating response. I've also come across "First Nations" by other posters on ATS.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by drew hempel
reply to post by Skid Mark

Fascinating response. I've also come across "First Nations" by other posters on ATS.

I know, bro. That WAS intriguing

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skid Mark
One of the biggest misconceptions that people have is that Native people are called "Indian" because Columbus thought he was in India. Back then it was known as Hindustan. Actually, when he saw how the Indigenous people lived, he said "Una Gente In Dios (Not sure of spelling). What this means is "a people in God or "A people in with God." In dios was later bastardized into what it is now-Indian. I much prefer this term. I don't really like "Native American." For one, this land wasn't called "America" originally. That name came from a European explorer. Many peoples referred to it as Turtle Island. Also, if you're to use that term, you have to include the Hawaiians and American Samoans. Neither are from this continent. If you want to be precise, you should use what ever the nation is called: Cherokee, Modoc, Miami, Tlingit, Creek, or whatever. Keep in mind there are 500, each with their own clans.

One people in god
Is how I would translate it.
What a great reply, thanks.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

My vocal and guitar teacher is first generation American, he’s a good friend, he’s from Indian parents. What would one call that? First generation American Indian? Except an American Indian is meant to be a people that are north American and indigenous…

First off, "Indians" are people originally from INDIA. And don't say they are "hindus" 'cos Hindu is a caste, not a nationality.

Second, the word "Indian" was a complete misrepresentation created by Columbus and all that men involved with the European navigations. They were stupid, they were addicted in opium, they were alcoholics, they hadn't ANY idea WHERE THE HECK they were going and when they got in America, thinking they had reached India, they labeled all native aborigines "Indians".

At last, dude, STOP with all this caffeine.

[edit on 27-3-2010 by ucalien]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ucalien
reply to post by dragonsmusic

My vocal and guitar teacher is first generation American, he’s a good friend, he’s from Indian parents. What would one call that? First generation American Indian? Except an American Indian is meant to be a people that are north American and indigenous…

First off, "Indians" are people originally from INDIA. And don't say they are "hindus" 'cos Hindu is a caste, not a nationality.

Second, the word "Indian" was a complete misrepresentation created by Columbus and all that men involved with the European navigations. They were stupid, they were addicted in opium, they were alcoholics, they hadn't ANY idea WHERE THE HECK they were going and when they got in America, thinking they had reached India, they labeled all native aborigines "Indians".

At last, dude, STOP with all this caffeine.

Maybe you need to stop with your caffeine. You are overly on the offensive here. I am not Colt McCoy or Tim Tebow. But you should at least blitz if you're gonna be as confusing as this.
One field goal you got though. Columbus and his mates as alcoholic opium addicts? whoah or wow, I don't know why or how, but that's funny now

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Indian- indigenous

Indian- from India

Not that confusing.

Also not a conspiracy is it.

It's a thread that has a misleading title to trick people into viewing it.

Complete waste of time and space thread.

I don't mean to attack you but I feel someone must try to stop these inane threads.

[edit on 27-3-2010 by asd10]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by asd10
Indian- indigenous

Indian- from India

Not that confusing.

Also not a conspiracy is it.

It's a thread that has a misleading title to trick people into viewing it.

Complete waste of time and space thread.

I don't mean to attack you but I feel someone must try to stop these inane threads.

[edit on 27-3-2010 by asd10]

It's a misnomer that spans the length of 500 years. I never suggested it was confusing. Your words are a waste of time and space on my thread. I do mean to respond to your attack even though you try to tell yourself that you don't mean to attack me. If you find it so inane you should just move on. And if that's your only problem with it then you wouldn't have written anything on it. You are condescending and such an attitude always stems from insecurity. Have a lovely, lovely day.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ucalien

Actually Hindu is not a caste, its a relligion.

top topics

join