It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you happy?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
This is a really good thread and I'm just so glad to see that many do realize hapiness in their lives.
I am happy,almost ridiculously so most of the time.While the "paths" I have chosen might not have worked for all,I've done well in my life and can now relax a bit and try to enjoy it although I'm still very productive and involved.
Have a big place,no debt,lots of family and friends who "like" me and that I trust,time and resources to indulge in my hobbies and travel when the mood strikes...I've kept my health and looks for the most part and although it's hard to be involved in the struggles of others,I do step up when it's needed as I truly feel you get what you give much of the time.
I wish happiness for everyone,it's fleeting but also what you remember when it matters!

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I'm a happy boy!

I live in the same world as everyone else...sometimes harsh and increasingly uncertain. But I've had an interesting life. More blessings by far than curses have come my way.

I have a lovely wife (same one for 45 years) who cares for me as if I'm a king. We are comfortable and though we are not wealthy in a monetary since, we are rich in the knowledge that in the final analysis, God is still in control. We know the future holds troubling times for this world. However, I have read The Book and in the end, we win.

Indeed, I'm a happy boy!

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I'm mostly numb. I was happy growing up, but that went away after becoming an adult. I think American culture and society is dead. The last decade I've spent my time watching idiot zombies doing the same retarded nonsense over and over again. Insanity. If I were to lie to myself, I could be happy, but screw that. In my opinion, it's insane to be happy when the state of the world is so screwed up. I listen to people chat about meaningless nonsense for hours, and it makes me want to puke.

Just a couple of years ago I alternated in between being mad as hell and being scared for our future. Now I'm just sad to see that so little true change will be done before catastrophic consequences ensue. Now I just want to spend my days puffing on this here wacky and try not to worry about what I see as our probable future.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I am absolutely not happy. I am not suicidal, but a huge shakeup in this world would be welcome by me. I just can't stand that I am stuck in a system that uses me as part of a gear that keeps this evil machine running. I want to be a human, not some programmed machine that does what its told. I envy the early native americans as they lived and loved in a beautiful dynamic community that left no scars on our planet. I don't want to follow the lines on the road painted by some bureaucrat. I want to live wildly and if I die earlier without all this technology then so be it.

How many people exchange any happiness and excitement in there life to make sure they live a few extra years. How many people use their homes as shines to celebrate their pitiful lives and the stuff they collected instead of the shelter from the elements. How many people exchange hours of their lives for a set wage, only to pay it to another corporation that provides "life sustaining" services into their house.

I hope someday that I can free my family and start living lightly. My own problem is that It may take a huge event to cause so many around me to wake up.

(edited for spelling)

[edit on 27-3-2010 by Bilw85]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Happiness... that can have so many nuanced meanings.

Personally I am absolutely open to happiness, laughter, love, friendship, good times, fond memories, sunshine, flowers, holidays, and all that jazz. I can enjoy the little things. However... in the grand scheme of my life I am quite unhappy.

There is an internal and an external side to this. The internal is that I feel as if I lack many options in life. Sure everybody LOVES to tell my generation (I'm 24) that we can do ANYTHING we want, happiness is a CHOICE, you can have anything if you MAKE IT HAPPEN, but the reality is typically quite different and not so triumphant. I don't know a SINGLE PERSON who has successfully employed the mental BS you hear in self-help books (usually written by rich people who want to get richer on book sales AND/OR who are sick of feeling helpless about the state of the world AND/OR they're just sick of poor people bitching). I feel like I've been lied to, perhaps intentionally, perhaps unintentionally, perhaps both. I feel like, even being a very smart and conscientious person, nobody's going to help me out and I have to fight my way to the "top" (whatever the hell that means). I see many people forced to feel the same. And yes, contrary to what self-help gurus (with hardly any actual education on human behavior/society) tell us, society CAN have a coercive effect on people in both direct and indirect ways, both obvious and barely noticeable. Essentially... what sucks is being poor and not having a large/healthy/strong support network of people to function as an egalitarian community. People are depressed about this because it's a serious lacking. I'm not saying money is the answer, I'm saying that feeling SECURE is the answer. And even Americans, being richer than most of the rest of the world's poor, still don't feel secure in what they have and where they're headed... or at least I dont yet. The worst part about it is, Americans are so satiated by intense (but temporary) material luxuries, gluttony, and spectacles that our oppression and depression is attacked by this guilt of superficiality. So, not only are we oppressed in the deeper ways, but we're prevented from complaining about it because we have so many superficial luxuries and we are told that that SHOULD BE enough for us to be happy. But as we all know, happiness is not material possessions, happiness is having your needs met, some of your reasonable wants met, and most importantly- having a loving/supportive community that helps us become better people without coercing us. I feel like I'm going in circles... but the bottom line is, in order for modern people to be secure, they must work and toil at some arbitrary job for most of their lives to receive arbitrary currency which is then funneled back into the system via arbitrary consumerism. We evolved to live in easy-going tight-knit tribes in the wilderness, not massive centralized techno-capitalist-worker-consumer hives. We will not simply "evolve" to live within the society we've been born into... that's not how evolution works. What we have is a society that, in too many ways, fights the currents of human-nature and the environment and bends them towards a mindless and ambiguous agenda that isn't ULTIMATELY controlled by any person or group but more so represents a runaway civilization carrying all of us along for the ride.

Regardless of the inevitability of this system at this point, it is still regrettable and even unacceptable, and at the very least an obvious systemic explanation for most of our social anxieties, depressions, neuroses, insecurities, and so on. There seem to be too many people and too few resources, both physical and social, to go around. This leaves a great too many left struggling endlessly for water, food, shelter, safety, health, money, love, happiness itself, dominance, control, acceptance, recognition, community, etc. And with no other good/obvious options, people can turn to some pretty bad things to fill those needs. Our society forces too much competition within anonymous crowds of people we dont know... sort of like an economic Gladiator pit. Then when we come home, we remain in that mindset, drained from it, time stolen by it, and therefore unable to develop and maintain many deep and strong relationships even with close family, significant others, children, LET ALONE an entire tribe/community. I'm not saying this is the rule for everybody, even myself. I have deep/loving/supportive relationships (partially because I have opened myself up to them). But in many ways, and in many places, we've lost the ability to provide for ourselves adequately/consistently and as a group without so many forces breaking things apart and creating a constant lonely struggle. The more money you have the more this struggle gets its edges softened or erased, but for the vast majority those edges cut every day; and even money doesn't fulfill deeper human needs.

I went off on a huge tangent and I apologize if any of that was too verbose, repetitive, or poorly explained, but I'm kind of ranting anyway, and in a world so globalized, interwoven, amplified, and historic as this, it all ties together. When we address human happiness we must think holistically on local/global/internal/external/individual/interpersonal levels, otherwise we're being inaccurate and anecdotal.

This isn't to say there aren't many beautiful things in the world right now, both natural and man-made. This is both a wondrous and terrifying time to live in and we MUST allow ourselves to enjoy as much as we can while we work to change whatever we're unhappy with. I love and am inspired by many things in this world, as I'm sure you all are in your own ways.

Ultimately I think happiness is having the freedom/opportunity/time/security to do essentially what you want to do with your life, with the vast ability to enjoy the simple things without worry, as well as having the purpose of people you can support and be supported by in a loving/positive way.
Huh...
Wouldn't that be nice?

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
answer to your Q: Yes! I'm happy.

Happiness is a state of mind

The trick is to focus on the positive things happening in your life instead of focus on negative matters.

I know it does sound more easy then it maybe is but it made me survive all the horrors happened to me in this life.

What ever will happen in & to the World in the near future, humans can help to shape the world to be a better place to live in. Unless or course heavy disasters of nature, will happen. That's something that is beyond our influence.

And even then, it doesn't realy matter what will happen to our human vessel ..... or Soul will live forever no matter what.

When my end is there / here, I'll chose for the Light

Peace!

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
No! I broke my back in a work related accident over ten years ago. I had to fight with my government for a disability pension, and after almost three years won on appeal. My wife and I lost our home and had to move far from family and friends to where we could afford at least a roof over our heads. We're now about to lose this one, and as we're both about to turn 60, it'll be the streets. Meanwhile my government had thrown open the gates to any Muslim claiming 'refugee' status, giving them free housing, free healthcare and education. No, I'm not happy with my life!

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
i find it hard to be happy when people put me down all the time or make me feel bad for something I simply haven't done....

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I am truly touched by the posts of those struggling. It is difficult to find a semblance of peace and happiness in todays world. It is difficult to lose the people we love or see them suffer physically or emotionally. How many years can one person take of continiously struggling just to survive, how many family members and friends must they say goodbye to forever before they see that happiness is fleeting?

How much longer must we see a world of wars and chaos? How many more people will starve? How many more buildings will be built where tall majestic trees once stood? How many more animals will we lose to extinction? How much more pollution and garbage can the earth hold?

All these things and more come into play. Somehow, we become warriors and fight our way through the complexity and chaos of life. Sometimes when we are in nature and our hair blows in the wind and the sun shines down upon us, when the ocean waves crash down and gulls cry from above, or we look up into a darkened sky and see the glittering stars, When we spend quality time with family and friends, we remember what life and happiness are. With all its' beauty and love you see, and it is profound.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Peple tend to define their happiness based on the situations of those around them. A man with two pieces of fruit in a primative tribe where everyone else has one piece feels like a king. A millionaire in a room full of billionaires feels like a loser.

This is why people are more likely to resent their neighbor for a slight gain in prosperity, while they don't feel so personally distraught to read about some Wall Street exec who has gotten another 8-figurte bonus. The latter case is so far out of their realm of experience as to not elicit comparison, while the former case creates jealously.

This human tendency creates a kind of mental prison but if you recognize it you can work against it by reminding yourself how lucky you are in various ways.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Bravo! You are so correct. People need to be thankful for their lot. We can all find one person more needy than ourselves. What helps us even more is if we find that person more needy, that we share some of our good fortune with them. Then we can all be happy!

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I am married to a loving wife, I have a few good friends, and my pets are very affectionate. I am also watching the destruction of my country by people who say they are trying to help. All in all, as with everything in life, you need to be somewhere in the middle. I am happy in the middle. Good times, and bad times, we all live and grow through them.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Thanks to all of you for taking time to post in this thread

I'm glad to hear most of you are happy and i'm sorry to hear about those in less fortunate circumstances.

One thing that really helps me deal with everything is meditation.
It even helps with my psychosis, anxiety, depression, physical and mental pain.

After all, chi is lifeforce and happiness and love are life

[edit on 28-3-2010 by TechUnique]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Happy? Yes, I'm as happy as can be, taking into account all that has happened, and the way things here in America have become of late. I'm 56, no spring chicken anymore, and I have been around the block, so to speak. I have many things to be thankful for, first off all that I found the Goddess, who has showered me with much that I may not deserve. A hot young wife and two young children to raise, once again I get the parent experience at an advanced age! And the love of a woman half my age who loves me to death.

I give thanks for my own two kids, one a Bob Evans General Manager, one a top automotive engineer and mechanical genius. One with a mind like a computer, the other with the mind of a warrior. I give thanks for the nice, on the inside anyway, home where we all live, and for the nice Chevy Van we have to drive. In many ways I have more now that times in the past. Mostly I give thanks for my knowledge, I would not take any thing whatsoever for that. My reading ability is again something to be thankful for, and even though now i need glasses to see the pages, I can still learn things, and do not feel right if a day goes by that I do not learn something new. I learned a few things just by reading this thread.

I am happy that I live in the Mountains, never again will I live on flat ground. The air is clean, and fresh, and the natural spring water I am drinking tastes good, not like the bottled water most are forced to drink. So, yes, with all said and done, I am happy!

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Really great post!

Yes I'm happy! I have a roof over my head, enough to eat, medical care, love, laughter, family, friends, animals, my health, intelligence, sense of humor, property, I live in a wonderful town, I have a great attitude... What's not to be happy about?

But happiness is a state of mind... a choice each person makes. And I make that choice all the time. I see it as my obligation. I could list just as many negative things that might contribute to "unhappiness" but I don't focus on them. They are not important. What's important is to appreciate what I have in life and to share as much love as I can with the world. To contribute to the Good Will in the world, rather than take away from it.

Yes, I'm very happy.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
this might sound crazy, but i get the strong feeling that i am under some kind of monitoring and surveillance. i guess i live on those special sh*t lists by gubment or whoever in power. there are may signs and indications. but it matters not. i feel this is the only medium i can get my point across to them.
i have a neighbor of ill manners. he`s a cop. he was trashing my front lawn by blowing his garbage off of his lawn and tree even after i spent hours to clean and fix. i wrote about it awhile ago here. and..... he stopped doing that. today he started doing that again. maybe because i didnt literally wash my driveway (my friend`s, but it`s aside the point) after cutting the grass- wind was blowing to his side and there wasnt much to cut anyway. it`d just be hell to clean up his side affected by my lawn cutting with the wind like that. so ididnt go overboard with it.

*all i ask is he needs to mind his own effing lawn and not worry about me. i dont trash his side so he needs to return the courtesy. whatever i do to my lawn i clean up after and make sure my neighbors front lawns arent affected in any way. otherwise i could blow his garbage to my other neighbors side as conveniently. that`s just not right. he needs to stop doing that.
thanks.

[edit on 28-3-2010 by marsvolta]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I'd say that in most areas I'm very happy. The only two things I could really wish for are 1) a job in my field of study and 2) a girlfriend :p I have everything else I want.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Peple tend to define their happiness based on the situations of those around them. A man with two pieces of fruit in a primative tribe where everyone else has one piece feels like a king. A millionaire in a room full of billionaires feels like a loser.

Altough I understand what you are trying to say I disagree with you.

On a 'material' level and maybe even on a 'social' level I do not score high. Life struggels on, there are always issues one has to deal with, stuff to do, things to handle.

We do NOT have loads of money, unlike the many millonaires in the world, we live from a 'normal income' and sometimes have to be creative to make ends meet. So that's NOT the source of my happiness.

I had an almost fatal accident, 16 yrs ago (2 months coma and all that). Am still partially paralized (one leg), have severe health issues due to this accident and my old lifestyle. So NO, that's not the source of my happiness either.

I have a lot of family issues and I have tried till this year to get together with each and every member, only to realize last month it will never happen. Not due to my efforts or due to me being forgiving and keep on trying but due to the fact that there needs to be a balance in interhuman contact, 2 parties have to make true efforts to reconsile. So, that isnt my Source of happiness either!

Although I FEEL for all those people, with all the empathy in me, I have to say: how dark and awful your life may look like, there ALWAYS is a spark of Light somewhere. Focus on that spark and it will grow bigger and brighter
))

The Source of my Happiness is the fact that I am able to see the good, the postive and the Light in life. And I simply refuse to get dragged down (again) in the darkness of material issues or issues I cannot change anyway.

Take live as it comes. Go with the flow, don't resist, let go. Smile, even on those days that tragedy seems to take over and you feel as if you drown. Even tragedy has it's comic side

Peace!

[edit on 3/30/2010 by Melyanna Tengwesta]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
For the most part we are... we have little to no personal debt any more.. we have grand kids and we are healthy...

We are alive and we are content with the holdings and personal possessions we have...

worried about the direction of the nation, and concerned about whether I can keep my employees going for this year... time will tell.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join