It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you happy?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Are you happy with your life? I should hope so. We are at a very important stage of human life. Things are getting more and more nuts from day to day. Are we all going to die? I highly doubt it. The world is socially crippled but thats not enough to stop us. This isn't another Doomsday thread, i wish to provoke some discussion.

Ladies and gentlemen are you enjoying your lives right now? We should be concidering how easy most of us have got it. Maybe too easy. Wouldn’t it be easier to live in a more simple time without comforts like electricity and packaged food. At least you would know where you stand and how to look after yourself.

Obviously everything is going tits up and is only going to get worse but have you managed to live a happy life? I’m only 17 nearly 18 and i’d say i’ve had a good life compared to most of the people in the world. But how longer am i going to be able to live a normal life if any? When are things going to mess up that badly that you can’t step foot outside of your front door? For fear of other man? For fear of government?

When is there going to be one ruler for earth? When do we lose free speech? When do we lose all rights as humans? .. And who will get to say who lives and how? Obama? I doubt it, he’ll probably be one of the first people to “Get it”

Where will you go when everything kicks off?

How can we discuss with closed minded people about important issues and get them to listen? For most of them its too late, they have been brain washed to the point of no return.

If your not happy with your life so far i suggest that you start making the most out of it. Who knows things could get better .. but they’ll most likely have to get worse first.

Man have been too power crazy for too long.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Hi ...you're prettty upbeat and mature for a young person. You have a good life in front of you.

Yes, I am happy...I live the life I want. It's not always easy...we live in the country, have a smallfarm and we work full time. We live in an area, believe it or not, we don't have to lock our doors...the lock's been broken for about 2 years now, and haven't gotten around to fixing it...figured if they wanted in, would tear it down anyway.

We raise about 60% of our own food, we have lots of animals, enjoy a lifestyle similar to "Mayberry"...YES, there still are places like that. Go to church, visit the folks Sunday aftnoon...big dinner..a nap.

We have been blessed, and although this past year was pretty tough, we still managed to smile. Seems like we always pull it out at the last...lol.

If you place your happiness on money, you'll never have enough of either. Instead, focus on family, friends, spiritual growth, the beauty of the world around you... nothing better than a hot cup of coffee and hearing my roosters crowing as the sun rises... and fresh blueberry pancakes...homemade... and my wife in that faded long t-shirt. Yup...life is good today.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Am I happy? In some ways yes in others no. I have lost my Father and many people close to me. My Mother is elderly and obviously has health problems. I know her time here is limited. My husband has health issues and is also disabled. I have been unemployed for some time. These things make me sad and nervous of course. Sometimes I am so stressed and depressed because life is never easy.

I long to breath free without having to worry about the next time my Mother or Husband will end up in the hospital. I worry about how long my savings will last or if we will be able to afford decent medical coverage.

I am happy that I have such a loving, thoughtful and humerous family and friends. I am happy when I am out in nature listening to the birds and soaking up the warm rays of the sun, glancing at the starlit night, making my jewelry or other hand made items, losing myself in a good book or movie or great conversation. I am happy looking after my cat, turtle and crested geckos and that I can still afford to have them.

I know that as frightened and worried as I am about things, that there are people far worse off than I. I'm just very sensative and think and feel things deeply.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Your life sounds wonderful except for those roosters crowing early in the morning.
What a way to wake up!
I'll take my songbirds thank you.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

I've always thought this a cool poem - have no idea who wrote it - but it makes me smile.
S/F for your thread...

The Meaning of Happiness

As I pondered the meaning of happiness
I sat and thought awhile
The outwards signs are clear enough
Sparkling eyes and a beaming smile

And inwardly how can one tell
Or guage this emotion intact
For it blends with many others
To me that is a fact

Joy, Pleasure and Ecstasy
As friends together band
Difficult to separate
For they go hand in hand.

~Pauline Oliver

[edit on 26-3-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Life is what you make of it, and when the going gets tough its easy to focus on the negative. Its during those times its good to take a step back and realize that whatever the problem is, is probably nothing in the grand scheme of things. I try to see the good in life and try to see it wherever I can, and there is a lot more good in the world than the news would lead you to believe. I've been blessed with a great family, girlfriend, friends, good health and a decent paying job and I appreciate it everyday of my life. Seek the good in life and it will surely find you friend.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

You wrote it.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Hey there TechUnique !

You have a fine line to walk , between being prepared (for a whole sliding scale of possibilities) on the one hand and not letting `anticipations` crush you under their considerable weight- on the other .

Self reliance however it should manifest itself in your life is always a good thing . It is imho , a truly valuable source of strength/ confidence in your life.
Manage the anxiety - don`t alienate loved ones who `don`t get it` .

Meet whatever comes your way - with determination.

And remember ........
"Anticipation of death - is worse than death itself "

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
YES

I'm very grateful for having a roof over my head, clothes on my back, and food in my stomach.

I can't be anymore honest than that.

S & F

PEACE

Slay

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Nice poem =)

The only regret i really have in life is wasting 5 years of my life abusing drugs. Although it was fun i could have been doing something a lot more productive.

Even though i have never lived a "stable" life, familly and friends wise i'm still alive and i've had a laugh.

I appreciate life so much after having died a couple of times in one night. I just hope i can carry on living a "normal" life and explore my potentials.

The main thing that worries me is the loss of speech and human rights.

At the end of the day what can we actually do to change anything? Not a lot in the general scheme of things. Sure some things can change but the man is always going to win in the end.

Who will wipe of "The man"? Mother nature? Our creators? Man itself?

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

True true.

I've been doing a lot better recently with getting anxious about whats around the corner. I feel like i've reached a point where i've prepared myself for a lot of what life may throw at us soon.

I just want the general public to be aware of the scandals and threats our society faces. Why does almost everyone have to be so closed minded?
It actually sickens me.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Yes, thank you, OP

As Slayer has said, I have food in my belly and a roof over my head and so does my family. So, that's the priorities of life sorted

This is the third Big Happy period of my life

One was childhood, despite its difficulties

Two was my children's childhood, which I was privileged to share

And now .. Number Three ... kids raised, healthy, well employed, nice people to be around

I hum all the time, even when walking uphill

Tomorrow may be hard, but I'm learning to enjoy the moment, come rain or shine

All the best to you and everyone

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Nice outlook =]

I hope i get to experience adulthood properly. I felt like an adult throughout my childhood but since i was 16 i've lived on my own and felt like a little kid again

I want to experience having kids and all the stuff assosiated with it. But if things start getting worse and worse i won't want to bring another life into the world. Especially if the bad things don't stop and just get worse.

Anyone born recently is going to have trouble grasping reality.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
The answer for me is a flat out NO.

This could be genuine unhappiness, or it could be seeds of the age old epidemic "depression". All in all, they can call depression a mental disorder or a disease all they want - it is still caused by something: unhappiness. The problem I have is determining what exactly I am unhappy about.

I grew up a pretty modest life. I never really went without but I had friends who did. I learned the art of sharing and humanity at quite a young age, and unlike other kids who I didn't understand - I never cherished my possessions so much as I did my friends or people in my life.

But when you place too much faith in people, you realize that sometimes that faith is misplaced, and people are capable of horrible things. I've never been abused or attacked, but I have been mentally attacked by fellow human beings- usually for no apparent reason than me being different.

I grew up in a world of technology, with new video games and forms of media; with new and greater toys and greater computers. I remember as a child while all the other kids grew more and more attached to their indoor activities, I became more and more connected with nature and my imagination. I was the youngest person I know ever to talk about philosophy on an everyday basis. People just didn't seem to "get me".

As I grew more and more into the world, I became linked to people who became more and more dependent on anything but themselves. First it was other people, then it was foreign companies, then it was technology. Even though I made a career out of the world of computers - I can't help but to think that the priorities of the world have all been flipped upside down. However, all thanks to the bondage of family and friends in the current world, I find myself unable to escape where I feel I would be most happy. I find myself instead fighting the system that would allow people to realize where real happiness should lie. Not in their technologies and material possessions - but in the search of knowledge and love.

Deep down inside I hate people, but at the same time I love them. The fact that I have to be surrounded by them only makes more me unhappy. The only way I would ever truly be happy is if people would be able to see what was really important in this world - but I know that is never going to happen. I believe that if I would be able to escape, and live a life of simplicity that I read so much about in history books and stories of old - I would be able to experience the happiness you speak of.

A world away from technology and the lifestyle of dependence that people have chosen. I wish I could become dependent on myself, able to survive on my own and in the event that others would do the same - live together with those that shared in the love of simple things. A world where I could dream and create as I saw fit - where I could sustain myself indefinitely and would be able to make a living by working for myself.

Some would call it a pipe dream... I just call it an age that has been forgotten. Society would instead choose to shun those with my thoughts and would treat them as outcasts. That is how my entire life has been - as an outcast. Never wishing harming, never fighting, only wanting to live free. Why is it so hard for people to respect that?

No, as long as the world remains the way it is, I will never be truly happy. There are moments where I can feel happy about some things - as I watch my nieces walk for the first time, as I listen to my nephew tell me things I've never known, or as I watch the occasional spout of TRUE love between two individuals. Sure happiness may spout through, but it will never last.

That is why I decided that for the sake of those out there like me. For the sake of those that believe in a better world where people can be accepted no matter who they are - I will fight. I will fight and I will die if I have to in my attempts to change the world. And though my impact may not be great, though I may go down as a fizzle in the memories of a few - they will at least know that I fought for a better world and in that fight maybe... just maybe I will have inspired others to do the same.

Sorry about my rant... happiness is just a touchy subject for me.

-Gwyd

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I'm as happy as a pig in a mud puddle in the sunshine. I find that much better than being all upset and worried.

Not one of us has the assurance that we will have a tomorrow. All we have is right now. Live it to the best of your ability.

I have everything I want and more than I need.

Getting ready to plant our spring garden next week and that gives months of pleasure and enjoyment.

I live in a coastal town and have plans to go to a free concert on the river downtown with my daughter, her hubby, my man and my best friend. And it's a rock and roll fest. Can it get any better?

I try my best to live one day at a time and not waste any of that day worrying about what might happen tomorrow.

Of course, like any good ATS member , I have planned and gathered for hard times and whatever happens. But it is not happening today so I am living with gusto and enjoying life.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

I'm as happy as a pig in a mud puddle in the sunshine. I find that much better than being all upset and worried.

Not one of us has the assurance that we will have a tomorrow. All we have is right now. Live it to the best of your ability.

I have everything I want and more than I need.

I love your outlook - mama!

[edit on 26-3-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

Nice one for contributing to my thread, good post.

I feel like i can relate to you about the "Outcast" bit. I have always felt that i am a lot more open minded than most people my age and i too wish everyone could see things for how they truly are.

You've hit the nail on the head with people being dependant on material possesions.

Man have strived so hard to make life easy and problem free when in the end we have been creating different problems in the process.

Whatever happens i just hope as little human lives as possible are lost for the new age to come.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I'm 30 years old, I feel I can relate to you, I've had a good life in a beautiful part of the world, but I feel I wasted some years of it making mistakes there and there or being hampered by worries, mistakes that I knew I should have known better about before I devoted so much time or attention into it.

I'm currently at the handle end of a fork in my life where I'm not in a relationship anymore or a career, and sometimes I find myself grinding my teeth in worry.

Where do I go from here?

I know I wouldn't be having these problems if the world was different, not so warlike or corrupt or insane or so materalistic, and we were some peaceful agarian society but I'm stuck in this reality and I have to adapt to it and change it as much as I can, to give my buck'o five in the cause for true freedom and sanity.

I got off on the wrong planet... damn. But it could have been a lot worse

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Yes I am happy. I've learned that you cannot "find" happiness, so you have to make your
own. I've learned that if I try to "find" my self in things (material possessions), I get lost in them instead. I've learned less is more and to keep it simple.

Above all, I've learned to never say "You make me...so and so." Because no one has the "power" to make you angry or sad. You simply allow them to.

After a NDE (stroke) 2 years ago, I am happy for the little things. I get little "gifts" every day if I am open to them. All green lights on the way to work, a squirrel running on my backyard fence or getting my entire bald head licked by my dog.

I am happy that I don't need the crutch of drugs or booze to enjoy happiness and that the abundance of the universe has much to offer. I am happy to be reminded daily that Karma is a boomerang.

At this moment, I am happy you started this thread. Thanks.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Thanks for your input =]

I thought i'd try to make a possitive thread where people can share the things they are happy about and not so happy about.

So far i'd say its gone quite well

Its good to hear other peoples outlooks on life and to see how people benifit from life in different ways to others.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join