It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeschoolers win asylum, now face U.S. deportation Immigration: judge should apply International la

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
This is a disturbing update to a story I posted a while back U.S. Judge Grants Political Asylum to German Homeschoolers.

Now ICE is seeking to deport that German family, appealing the courts asylum ruling by stating the US judge should have deferred to international law when making his decision.

Homeschoolers win asylum, now face U.S. deportation
Agency wants European precedent applied in Tennessee court case

Citing a European court ruling, U.S. immigration authorities are arguing in an appeal that a family that fled Germany and gained asylum in Tennessee claiming their government persecuted them for homeschooling should be returned to their home country.

According to the Home School Legal Defense Association, the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency has lodged an appeal of Judge Lawrence Burman's grant of asylum to the family of Uwe and Hannelore Romeike.

WND reported in January when the federal immigration judge said in his ruling, "We can't expect every country to follow our Constitution. The world might be a better place if it did. However, the rights being violated here are basic human rights that no country has a right to violate."

The appeal, submitted to the Board of Immigration Appeals in Fairfax, Va., claimed homeschoolers are too "amorphous" to be a "particular social group," the HSLDA said.

Further, the agency claims, the U.S. "law has recognized the broad power of the state to compel school attendance and regulate curriculum and teacher certification."

ICE sought application of the Konrad case in the European Court of Human Rights that "the public education laws of Germany do not violate basic human rights." The ruling elaborated that parents had no right to direct the education of their own children because that was a responsibility of the state.

"In other words, it appears that ICE is arguing that U.S. judges should follow international law – rather than U.S. law," the HSLDA said in an alert.

"American judges should use American law alone in making decisions about cases in American courts," said Michael Smith, president of the HSLDA. "Polls show that Americans by an overwhelming margin reject the idea of using international law in American courts to decide American cases. The use of international law in American courts is a threat to American justice and should be opposed."

ICE argued that the U.S. government simply could ban all homeschooling – and that should disqualify the granting of asylum.

Read more: World Net Daily

The ICE actually argued that the US could BAN all homeschooling in the US. Now that's scary.

[edit on 3/26/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
The abolition of home schooling is more than likely the reasoning behind the government trying to overrule the judges ruling. My opinion.

Yeah, gotta certify those parents to be able to home school. Because we all know that certification really improves our schools teaching. /s

Thanks for the read OP.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Thanks for being the only person in all of ATS who took the time to read this thread.

What really bothers me about this is how Immigration is going about fighting this ruling. They are saying that, because the law of the nation the German parents are escaping from outlaws their behavior, we should honor the laws of that nation and return them back to Germany!

Isn't that the whole point of asylum? Isn't political asylum supposed to be to protect people escaping from an oppressive government?

According to their way of thinking, we should have sent back boatloads of Jews seeking to escape the holocaust to Germany during WW II because starving and gassing Jews to death was the law of the land in Germany at the time!

Is the law in Germany really something we as Americans should be supporting;

The ruling elaborated that parents had no right to direct the education of their own children because that was a responsibility of the state.

Parents having no rights in the raising of their children?

You're right End, this is just the first step in taking away all parental rights so that The State will have authority to take them away from us to indoctrinate them into the docile slaves they love so much.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I am surprised no one bothered to read it. I guess the people needed to be a hacker, with a mental disorder, that broke into NSA or NASA computers and attempting to be extradited to the evil US, for anyone to care.

I guess in today's world, people that do not want to conform exactly to other's preconceived notions of what is the norm, are to be dismissed. They must be strange. Oh well, I'll bump it to see if anyone get's my reference and for your thread.

new topics

top topics

join