It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer-Controlled Swarm of Bacteria Builds Tiny Pyramid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Well, this is pretty cool (or disturbing to some, perhaps)...they are able to make bacteria jump through hoops and perform like circus poodles now.

Besides the "artistic" endevors like that described below, the ability to manipulate tiny organisms has tremendous medical and genetic implications. Like any technology, it can be used for benefits or abused, and both are likely to happen.

Researchers at the NanoRobotics Laboratory of the École Polytechnique de Montréal, in Canada, are putting swarms of bacteria to work, using them to perform micro-manipulations and even propel microrobots...

...The video below shows some 5000 bacteria moving like a swarm of little fish, working together to transport tiny epoxy bricks and assemble a pyramidal structure -- all in 15 minutes. The video was presented at IROS last year, along with a wonderfully titled paper, "A Robotic Micro-Assembly Process Inspired By the Construction of the Ancient Pyramids and Relying on Several Thousands of Flagellated Bacteria Acting as Workers."

More at source:
spectrum.ieee.org...

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
this is amazing, I just have one reply.

Fascinating!

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
That is among the coolest things i have seen.

Outstanding link. Thanks you for sharing.

I still believe that nanogenerators embedded on a circuitous substrate would be the best way to generate "free electricity".

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I'm not sure whether to be enthralled or horrified.

ALL the implications are just..... I get a headache thinking about it.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Magnetosomes used for directional control? Have you ever used one of those magnetic boards to put beards and hair on a drawing of a face? That's what I gather from this.. By "computer control" they mean draggin the little buggers around with a magnet, not some super sci-fi way of computer to bacteria communications. Not that it isn't impressive or anything

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Now, just imagine when they're able to do that on people.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

Not without injecting our bodies with a bunch of magnets...

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Anjaba

That's now though, think about this technology in as little as ten years...

Awesome to see though, will provide amazing technology in years to come. Lets just hope it keep out of evil hands.

Awesome post OP!!

Pred...

top topics

join