It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceland: the world's most feminist country

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by dampnickers
You aren't a product to be bought or sold - thats' great and I applaud you for it. However, if others wish to be bought or sold, because they get enjoyment/fulfilment out of it, why should you care?

I'll bite my tongue here. Go spend some time talking to prostitutes and strippers and you'll find that the vast majority of them get ZERO enjoyment out of being traded like cattle.

Then again, based on your forum handle, you doubtlessly spend more than enough time with them already.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

While I agree that stripping will most likely just turn underground in Iceland and become a worse problem, I think your first statement is rubbish. I am NOT a number. I am NOT a product. I'm a human being, dammit. You can't buy me for all the monies in the world.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by unityemissions]

You have a job? Do you get paid? You have been bought.

By User D.E.M

I'll bite my tongue here. Go spend some time talking to prostitutes and strippers and you'll find that the vast majority of them get ZERO enjoyment out of being traded like cattle.

I worked in a strip club for about 5 months while filling in for a girl who was studying abroad. I was not a stripper, I was a B.Y.O.B. bartender. Anyway, in my time I did meet women who enjoyed stripping. I also met a lot of crazy, drug addled women but, I did meet women who got a thrill from what they did. One of them even competed in a national pole dancing competition and considering stripping an art. It may not be fathomable to you but, some people out there do like to take it off and shake it for strangers.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by antonia]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Neither apply to me.

I'm special.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dampnickers

So, if stripping and std's aren't your bag, then why get on your high horse?

Because it's only on the surface that these decisions seems to be a personal choice. If you look at it from a broader perspective, whoring yourself out gives rise to std's in people on the whole. It's amoral.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.

Then again, based on your forum handle, you doubtlessly spend more than enough time with them already.

I can't speak for prostitutes, but I do know a lot of girls who love to get on the stae and dance. While many do not like giving lap dances that is usually where they make the majority of their cash so they deal with it. They do NOT feel like they are being treated like cattle, you assumption is quite ignorant.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
WEll I can't say that I have been impressed by the lapdancing club that I went to. Unfortunately I thin it is gesture politics but hey whatever. I used to DJ for a stripper when I was in college and she hated it.I also had to chase off a few idiots that tried to get clever..

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Given as that laws designed to 'protect' the interests of adults, yet by the very nature of that protection restrict personal liberty and freedom of choice, are usually regarded by feminists as paternalistic, I fail to see how legally banning the sex industry is feminist.

If this were a truly feminist agenda, the rules would have been adjusted to ensure that the women sex workers themselves receive a far greater percentage of the profits made within the industry. Rather than patronising protectionism that assumes a woman always needs the state to prevent her being sexually exploited, the state could have ensured a stop to the financial exploitation of female sex workers.

[edit on 26/3/2010 by teapot]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I agree this is actually the Feminists attacking women.

Penis Envy is the Drive behind it

Being 100% honest and just telling the actual truth, in my life I have found that young Pretty Women on the whole, enjoy:

Dancing
Flirting
Cash
Men
Having Fun

And are more than capable of making their OWN minds up as to whether they choose to get paid for doing this.

Its down to their own beliefs and values/morals as to where the line is if not Pimped in any way.

Not some frustrtated middle aged spinster who needs to get herself a pet "Bunny" and some duracell, go on the holiday somewhere in the sun for a while too, not 2 month days and all that jazz that goes on with day lengths/time in northern europe.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
All I keep seeing are these debates about saving women from themselves and the depravity of using their feministic features to gain monetary solitude. What about chippendales? Afterall, we have to be EQUAL.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I personally have never visited a strip-club and have no intention of doing so, but I wouldn't deny others the right if that's their thing.

I also agree with others too that this seems to go against feminism; for years women have been encouraged to use their sexuality and to exploit men with their bodies to gain power over them, yet all this will means is that women who are earning lots of money just because they've got good bodies will have to now find a 'proper' job where they will have to use more skills that won't earn them as much money.
If you're blessed with decent looks and a good body, then the only skill you need as a stripper is some dancing ability - it really is disproportionately good money for very little required ability, and the fact that the majority of strippers are female and making easy money off some drooling hormonally-charged men should be applauded by some feminists !

Also if Iceland is the most feminist country in the world, then maybe Kolbrún Halldórsdóttir should consider changing her surname as it means ''Daughter of Halldór ( her father )'' - no mention of her mother.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I agree. And if not freedom, then at least push for equal wages in other occupations.

Just as the athiest cannot correct religion by becoming a religious, women cannot correct men by becoming men. Can't we see the pattern that people become what they set their eyes on? Truth is what remains ignored if we continue in such uncivilized manners.

Women are naturally mothers. This is not a stereotype, this simply is. They should be glorified for this. When men are not good men, women should demand for men to be self-disciplined and giving rather than changing themselves into sluts or pseudo-men.

Men are naturally shepherds who go out, defend the flock from wolves and run around the fields laboriously, and should not treat women with malice when they are weak.

Instead, men should be going out of their way to pay women an equal wage and stop sponsoring such lowly conduct. And for those who believe it well to sell themselves, and believe it well to consume such a product, so be it.

Let us walk towards civility with our heads held high and the weak on our backs.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.

Don't bite too hard or you might hurt yourself.

Did you realise that you managed to make a hypocrite of yourself?

Did you also realise that you managed to lower the tone by attempting to personally insult me.

Just for your info, short cakes, I don't frequent strip clubs, prostitutes, or any other form of sex trade. It's not my style.

Although, a lack of respsect and a definite show of insecurity are two of your traits....

top topics

<< 1   >>

join