It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Frum Admits Republicans Work For Fox News!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
People sometimes seek the truth, but most prefer like-minded views

The analysis, reported this month in Psychological Bulletin, published by the American Psychological Association, was led by researchers at the University of Illinois and the University of Florida, and included data from 91 studies involving nearly 8,000 participants. It puts to rest a longstanding debate over whether people actively avoid information that contradicts what they believe, or whether they are simply exposed more often to ideas that conform to their own because they tend to be surrounded by like-minded people.

"We wanted to see exactly across the board to what extent people are willing to seek out the truth versus just stay comfortable with what they know," said University of Illinois psychology professor Dolores Albarracín, who led the study with University of Florida researcher William Hart. The team also included researchers from Northwestern University and Ohio University.
The studies they reviewed generally asked participants about their views on a given topic and then allowed them to choose whether they wanted to view or read information supporting their own or an opposing point of view.

The researchers found that people are about twice as likely to select information that supports their own point of view (67 percent) as to consider an opposing idea (33 percent).
Certain individuals, those with close-minded personalities, are even more reluctant to expose themselves to differing perspectives, Albarracín said. They will opt for the information that corresponds to their views nearly 75 percent of the time.

The researchers also found, not surprisingly, that people are more resistant to new points of view when their own ideas are associated with political, religious or ethical values.
"If you are really committed to your own attitude - for example, if you are a very committed Democrat - you are more likely to seek congenial information, that is, information that corresponds with your views," Albarracín said. "If the issues concern moral values or politics, about 70 percent of the time you will choose congenial information, versus about 60 percent of the time if the issues are not related to values."

cont...

"For the most part it seems that people tend to stay with their own beliefs and attitudes because changing those might prevent them from living the lives they're living," Albarracín said. "But it's good news that one out of three times, or close to that, they are willing to seek out the other side."

Full paper: apa.org...

[edit on 26 Mar 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

dude, rational logic - it kicks ass.

By posting this thread, the leftists are undermining their own claims.

Personally I'm completely neutral on the subject of Fox.

I think they are a neo-con network and I don't watch anything they put out, except for Judge Napolitano's webcast called Freedom Watch. So I don't have a beef either way. Network news is for suckers.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

You know, this would not be such a big deal, except that the extreme right that Fox caters to is known for three things:

1. Being hardheaded
2. Taking the right to bear arms as a need to have more guns than hands.
3. Being quick to set off and hard to slow down.

IMHO some of the extreme right are jihadists who use the name of God instead of Allah in order to justify bad thinking.

Fox News caters to this by encouraging people to be angry and upset, which is fine, but if you keeping inflaming that emotion, then eventually they will need an outlet, and they are primed to fire at the 'enemy' they've been guided to feel such emotions for...

Of course, this is my opinion, and as an American, I have my right to it, and you can be offended by it... (dollars to donuts says that someone will tell me that I should leave if I don't like it)

[edited for a forgotten chunk I left out- my bad]

[edit on 26/3/10 by MagoSA]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Yeah, I watch Fox to see what they are pushing. I like to watch Maddow to see what the rational side of the left is push.

I watch Olbermann to see what the radical left are pushing.

What is great to see though, they are both pushing for more control by the government. And the ignorant chew it up.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagoSA

You know, this would not be such a big deal, except that the extreme right that Fox caters to is known for three things:

1. Being hardheaded

IMHO some of the extreme right are jihadists who use the name of God instead of Allah in order to justify bad thinking.

Of course, this is my opinion, and as an American, I have my right to it, and you can be offended by it... (dollars to donuts says that someone will tell me that I should leave if I don't like it)

Historically, most riots and civil insurrections have been caused by leftists.

Given that most of the right is highly religious, they generally don't resort to violence unless pushed to extremes.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by 12GaugePermissionSlip

I can easily see the tail wagging the dog in this age of information glut. Everyday on this site we filter through the confusion and disinformation in search of the truth, can anyone say the information presented as the topic of this thread is revelation?

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

but its the same radical right that are throwing bricks, cutting gas lines, etc....

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I think G Edward Griffin sums is up in his Mt View Ron Paul ralley ralley

As long as we let them manipulate us into fighting over right/left they will continue to get away with murder

The two parties are in lockstep with each other. We are dealing with two faces of the same system. We think a Republican win will make things right just like we thought a Democrat win would put the country back on course back in 2008. It's just more of the same garbage. We need to get rid of both parties. The news media won't cover third parties. Because they own the two parties. Therefore we need to get rid of the news media. People should realize that they are being manipulated and lied to by the news media. They need to get their news from some other source. What other source? That is the problem. We need some source of information that we can rely on. What's happening in Haiti. We don't even know. Are the people there being murdered by CIA goons? This is not what we voted for. Juarez goons are ready in the wings, our police are about to get laid off. Blackwater Xe is ready to take over. Fema camps are real and are being staffed. Our government has become despotic and dangerous. Watch out America.

Anybody working for blackwater/xe should rethink their lives.They should ask themselves again just why they signed on with the Nazis. People keep saying that wars would not be fought if soldiers would not sign up. The same thing goes for blackwater/xe's war against America, although they probably won't have any trouble recruiting thugs from third world countries to murder our children.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by m khan]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

but its the same radical right that are throwing bricks, cutting gas lines, etc....

like I said, they generally don't resort to violence unless pushed to extremes.

A fascist takeover of healthcare is pretty extreme.

Of course, the healthcare takeover is one of many.

The nationalization of Federal Motors.

The nationalization of the ENTIRE mortgage industry.

The bailout of commercial banks to the tune of 28 trillion dollars.

Personally I'm surprised the right hasn't started an open shooting war yet.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MagoSA

Are you sure about that.

Remember the damage to that democratic office awhile back.

A democratic operative did it to make it look bad for the repubs.

Until they have evidence, I will not believe it.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Just so you leftists know, the revolutionary war was fought over something called the "stamp act".

The stamp act allowed the kings agents to write their own warrants and enter peoples homes at will.

The king declared that all pieces of paper must have a tax stamp on them issued by the government.

Of course, the king's agents enforced this by ransacking homes, writing their own search warrants, taking peoples property, etc.. etc.. etc..

Obama is on track to do exactly the same things with healthcare and the "green police"

When government agents start entering peoples homes to enforce "green" codes and forcing them to comply with insurance mandates, the reality of the government's tyranny will hit home.

The government keeps pushing the people. Eventually the people will push back - and its not going to be pretty.

We already saw what the IRS drove one man to do recently. More of the same is sure to come.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

You guys are actually surprised by this?

Have you never watched Fox News?

Its as obviously republican as MSNBC is obviously Democrat.

And unlike politicians, the people on these news stations get to voice their opinions and concerns EVERY day to millions of brainwashed viewers.

So, yes of course these people are running the show...literally. You gotta go where the money is to see where the REAL power lies.

Also, Rupert Murdoch owns Fox, so essentially, HE IS the right wing leader of the free world. After all, every decision made by Fox, every talking head who spouts propaganda MUST have his approval.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
You can't even believe Fox News when they tell you that they are "fair and balanced" and that "you've enetered the no spin zone".

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Getting back on subject somewhat....I am convinced there is bias in all media outlets. MSNBC is without a doubt a left leaning media. That's why I watch it. As that report I saw from schrodingers dog's post on the study by American Psychological Association noted, I gravitated to the media that reflects my views, duh!

However, I never see the hosts saying stuff like, "some would say..." and making conjecture, repeating inflammatory statements over and over, and other psycological tactics that Fox does. To outsiders the tactics are obvious, to the ones buying it, it's the spoken truth.

Sometimes reading Fox's crawl is like a series of subliminal messages. The thought that goes into how to word it and what message will follow another is ingenious, and scary.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by 12GaugePermissionSlip]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

I think they were making fun of other news stations when they said that.

Plus, "fair and balanced" has a much nicer ring to it than " biased and utterly conservative"

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Yes, I agree whole heartedly, its truly impossible today to read or hear any type of news without it being biased by the person reporting it.

Personally, I cant take MSNBC or Fox News for too long at a time. They both make me feel uncomfortable

I do however, enjoy watching them bash each other every day. It just makes for good television. To me, its better than watching some reality show drama.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Very true.

Batton down the hatches, there be a storm brewing.

They can come to my house anytime, I'll show them my piece, and its not even green.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

1. Being hardheaded

Historically, most riots and civil insurrections have been caused by leftists.

Given that most of the right is highly religious, they generally don't resort to violence unless pushed to extremes.

Sure highly religious people are never violent -

Right wing Gandhi and MLK

they could teach those violent lefties how to accomplished things under threats of violence.

Remember MLK was a Republican and the south has always been uber liberal, commie like

Or that left wing un religious peaceful southern confederacy, to bad those righty ultra religious northerners won...

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mrmerak
So what the democrats work for CBS, NBC, ABC, MSNBC, CNN, CNN

Why dont you add every other media source as liberal bias? Because this is exactly what most conservatives. Dismiss every report or news, even if its objective, if it does not pander to their biased beliefs.

So Fox news is ok.
The rest of the media outlets is biased.
Right.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
OMG!!! Republicans have to work!?????

ONOES ONOES!!!

ps: I bet 99% of workers at MSNBC i are Dems...just sayin..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join