It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korean navy ship sinks, North link played down

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Just remember that South and North Koreans are all the same people - Koreans. South Koreans have family in North Korea and vice versa.

IMO, North Korea is trying to goad a country like the US into war by taking pot shots at South Korean Navy vessels. South obviously doesn't want this to escalate into a nuclear war so it tries to play down the North Korean link.

I recall reading somewhere that the North views South Korea as the poor little brother that needs to be saved from the clutches of evil, Western capitalism. He wants to get the family back together.

If anything, North Korea wants to provoke another country into war and then "save" the South. "Hey, look, the Americans are trying to blow up your countrymen, we are all Korean, come to our side and we can blow them up with a big fat nuke!"

Because the Korean people are racially, inherently good, it follows that the South Korean people are born just as good as the North Korean people are. But the North Korean propaganda apparatus makes a lot of the contaminating influence of the American presence in South Korea, the contaminating influence of American morals. The media in Pyongyang is also very critical of intermarriage between South Korean citizens and foreigners, especially between South Koreans and Americans. The North Koreans believe that South Koreans' racial purity is in danger.

I found this line on www.3quarksdaily.com... html

Another poster posted a thread about this very book and his insights here which is well worth a read:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am South Korean by birth and I haven't been back in 23 years. I certainly don't want to see them go to war.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Activist: NKoreans Fired Torpedo at SKorean Ship

A Seoul-based activist alleged Tuesday that a squad of North Korean soldiers was behind last month's deadly sinking of a South Korean frigate. The activist cited a North Korean military officer claiming knowledge of the plot.

The unidentified officer said a North Korean semi-submersible vessel carrying 13 crewmembers fired a torpedo at the Cheonan, according to Choi Sung-yong, who said he had spoken to the officer by telephone several times in recent days.

The claim could not be verified, and the Joint Chiefs of Staff in Seoul said it could not confirm the allegation.

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
This just come out !!!

www.reuters.com...

North Korea torpedoed South's navy ship: report
(Reuters) - South Korea's military believes a torpedo fired from a North Korean submarine sank its navy ship last month, based on intelligence gathered jointly with the United States, a news report said on Thursday.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
South Korea Concludes North Korean-Fired Torpedo Sank Ship, Yonhap Reports
preview.bloomberg.com...

‘Navy’ funeral to be held for lost sailors
www.koreaherald.co.kr...

Lee: Military lapsed into complacency
www.koreaherald.co.kr...

Navy 'Was Warned of N.Korean Human Torpedoes'
english.chosun.com...

N.Korea 'Runs Naval Suicide Squads'
english.chosun.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ZombieSlayer

Well, it appears as though I was correct earlier in the thread when I concluded that it really was a NK torpedo and that the whole "flock of birds" thing and "self inflicted catastrophic failure" claim were just cover stories to diffuse the situation.

Thanks for updating the thread with this latest news.
It's nice to have a conspiracy theory proven correct.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by harrytuttle]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

I think we all knew it was NK that did it..

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Now we just have to wait and see what happens next.
Predictions?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
For predictions i think SK may sneak a sub in and lay a small number of mines in NK waters.

They can always claim they must be old NK mines that a NK ship just happened to find the hard way.

Put a dozen outside a NK naval base and see what happens.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by ANNED]

[edit on 22-4-2010 by ANNED]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
[edit on 22-4-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxxximus187

Easy for you to claim that now, but I don't see any posts by you in this thread proving you actually believed that at the time.

Secondly, if you had read the context of the thread at the time I was discussing this and made my post, you would see that there were many people believing the cover story blindly. This is contrary to your claim "I think we all knew it was NK" at the time. You are simply wrong in that statement.

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3
Example 4
Example 5

I could go on, but hopefully you can browse the thread to learn more.

That being said, I certainly wasn't the only one trying to wake people up to the fact a cover story was being sold, but was definitely one of a few vocal leaders of the theory and I supported my claims with sound analysis of the facts. And it has finally come out now that I and those others were 100% correct, so if you don't mind sir, I'll proudly toot my own horn.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by harrytuttle]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ZombieSlayer

Originally posted by ZombieSlayer
Now we just have to wait and see what happens next.
Predictions?

Withdrawal of all cooperative economic agreements by South Korea, and pressure through official channels (UN) for sanctions against North Korea.

No direct military action, but an increased military posture in and around disputed waters, reacting to any actual or perceived threat with increased aggression.

That's about it.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
From the reuters article... www.reuters.com...
"Market players have been calmed by the South's measured response"
then a bit further in the article "there is little South Korea can do even if Pyongyang is found to be the culprit, because a military response was likely to hurt its own quickly recovering economy"
and last note about money "South Korea has few economic options left to hurt the North. It has already suspended its unconditional handouts that once were worth more than $1 billion to the North, which has an estimated yearly GDP of $17 billion"

I don't know anything about that area...so I certainly can't understand why the South gives the North a billion dollars a year...Is it payoff money? Here's some money to grow your military, now don't attack us?

Here's what I can't figure out
"The reclusive North has denied it had anything to do with the sinking near the disputed sea border off the west coast that has been the scene of two deadly naval battles in the past decade"

Unless Kim just thinks its fun for the south to fund his military, he just has to play with his toys a little, but don't want to get his wrist slapped for bloodying the sandbox.

The best part of this article...
"Yonhap said the South Korean and U.S. military suspected the North was stepping up drills to infiltrate a submarine south of the naval border, hidden among Chinese fishing boats, and wage a surprise attack against the South."

Oh...so now they wanna say they knew it was going to happen...and...
"The military's intelligence arm sent the report of "certain" North Korean involvement to the presidential Blue House soon after the incident" that they said it was the North to begin with.

Now that I have chopped up and pasted most of the reuters article.

My prediction...I won't see any of this on my favorite MSM shows, TV or radio. The families of the sailors will be paid for their loss, and silence.

I think the evidence is right here...the analysts don't see any money in retaliation at this time...so...I think this will be only place I will find any information about this conspiracy. I'm starting to learn some respect for N Korea...not the kind of respect a person with large character and positive qualities earns...the kind you give to a loser with a gun pointed at you.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Suicide submariners

www.telegraph.co.uk...
"sources say they have been told that the attack was carried out on the orders of Mr Kim and involved a unit of 13 specially trained commandos and modified midget submarines....The submarines were manoeuvred close to their target before being detonated, probably along with their crews"

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I think it's time we closed this thread and opened up a new one with a more accurate title.

No one is "playing down" North Korean involvement any more.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

But the thing is, it was played down...and now that the truth is coming out...you have to look pretty hard to find anyone talking about it.
Neatly swept under the rug.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

I agree, that was the situation at the outset, but things have evolved a long way since then - a more appropriate title now would be "North Korea Torpedoes South Korean Warship".

The North Korean link is actually being played up, not down.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Now South Korea have salvaged a good proportion of the vessel and it is now open to independant scrutiny, (as per South Korean officials).

current.com...

There are more updated pictures on BBC News 24

[edit on 24-4-2010 by smurfy]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Report: Close-range blast sank S. Korean ship

An explosion at close range, and not a direct hit, caused the 1,200-ton patrol ship Cheonan to sink last month, a team of South Korean military and civilian investigators has tentatively concluded.

The investigators' determination was reported Sunday by the Yonhap news agency.

"Instead of being directly hit by a torpedo or other underwater weapon, the Cheonan was affected by a strong explosion that occurred below its bottom at a close range," the news agency quoted a government official as saying.

www.cnn.com...

[edit on 25-4-2010 by ZombieSlayer]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieSlayer

"Instead of being directly hit by a torpedo or other underwater weapon, the Cheonan was affected by a strong explosion that occurred below its bottom at a close range," the news agency quoted a government official as saying.

www.cnn.com...

Exactly how a modern torpedo works.

I still expect this whole affair to just fade away, the wild dogs of North Korea have their pound of flesh, they have been doing this type of thing for decades now.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Clinton warns N.K. against provocations leading to conflict

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Friday warned North Korea against any provocations or miscalculation that could lead to conflict on the Korean Peninsula amid rising tensions after the sinking of a South Korean warship last month, according to Yonhap news agency.

“I hope that there is no talk of war, there is no action or miscalculation that could provoke a response that might lead to conflict,” Clinton said at a NATO foreign ministers‘ meeting in Tallinn, Estonia, according to a transcript released by the State Department. “That’s not in anyone‘s interest.”

In a news conference, she was responding to a question about North Korea’s seizing of South Korean assets in a mountain resort in North Korea and threats of a war that cited South Korea‘s efforts to link the sinking to North Korea.

www.koreaherald.co.kr...

[edit on 26-4-2010 by ZombieSlayer]

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27 >>

join