It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - NKorea accuses SKorea, US of disturbing peace at border, warns of 'unpredictable incident.'
N. Korea warns South, U.S. of "unpredictable incidents including the loss of human lives" if tours to DMZ continue
The DMZ as a tourist attraction? Thats just nuts.
"If the U.S. and the South Korean authorities persist in their wrong acts to misuse the DMZ for the inter-Korean confrontation despite our warnings, these will entail unpredictable incidents including the loss of human lives," the North's KCNA news agency quoted the spokesman as saying. The South's Korea Tourist Organization said on its website ahead of the warning: "These days the DMZ is a safe destination that we would thoroughly recommend to any traveler."
The Korean military announced on Monday that the missing rear part of the naval patrol ship "Cheoan," in which 32 sailors are presumed to be trapped, was found 40 meters below the sea level in the West Sea.
A military official said, "Last night around 10:30 p.m., we found about a 30-meter-size object believed to be the rear part of the vessel."
"We are still investigating the object with underwater cameras, but because the water is not clear, it is taking time," he added.
Intentionally Floated a Mine
BAENGNYEONG ISLAND, South Korea (AP) -- South Korea's defense minister says North Korea may have intentionally floated a mine to damage a naval ship that exploded and sank this week.
Forty-six crew members are missing and believed trapped within the wreckage of the ship, which went down Friday. Fifty-eight were rescued
While the cause of the explosion is unknown, Defense Minister Kim Tae-young told lawmakers in Seoul on Monday that rival North Korea may have floated a mine toward the ship.
Originally posted by JIMC5499
Just because it may be a mine doesn't make it an act of war. It may be an act of negligence. If a moored North Korean mine broke free and drifted in to international or South Korean waters it would be considered an accident, not an act of war. Now, if the South Korean ship was deliberetly targeted or if North Korea intentionally moored it's mine in international or South Korean waters, then it would be an act of war. Something to consider is that both Japan and the Allies put mines into those waters during World War II. There is a possibility that the ship could have struck one of those.
South Korea's president ordered the military on alert Tuesday for any moves by rival North Korea after the defense minister said last week's explosion and sinking of a South Korean ship may have been caused by a North Korean mine.
On Monday, the North kept silent on the sinking of the South Korean ship, but its state-run news media criticized the United States and South Korea over their annual joint military exercise, calling them “war maniacs running amok to prepare an invasion of the North.” It also warned of a “loss of lives” if the United States and South Korea did not stop allowing journalists inside the heavily armed buffer zone separating the two Koreas.
A South Korean diver has died while searching for survivors of a naval ship that sunk on Friday, a defence ministry official has said.
The 53-year-old navy diver died on Tuesday after being brought to the surface unconscious after working 24 metres deep.
Originally posted by JanusFIN
It also warned of a “loss of lives” if the United States and South Korea did not stop allowing journalists inside the heavily armed buffer zone separating the two Koreas.
South Korea said Wednesday it has ordered all government officials to stay on emergency alert until the crisis sparked by the mysterious sinking of a warship is resolved.
The officials have been told not to take leave and to stay alert even when off-duty in case of emergencies, the home ministry said, reiterating an instruction first issued Saturday.
The 655,000-strong military and the police force were also ordered on heightened readiness, after an unexplained blast tore a 1,200-tonne corvette in two on Friday night near the tense border with North Korea in the Yellow Sea.
North Korea said it had nothing to do with the sinking of a South Korean warship in the Yellow Sea, Yonhap news agency reported Wednesday.
It was "ridiculous" for Seoul to try to involve Pyongyang in Friday's incident, an Northern official was quoted as saying.
The remark, made by a representative of Pyongyang's state-run agency for inter-Korean economic cooperation whilst on a visit to the Chinese border city of Dandong, was the first reaction from North Korea since the sinking.
The reaction came after South Korea's Defence Minister said Monday he did not completely rule out the possibility of North Korean involvement.
US President Barack Obama called South Korean President Lee Myung-bak on Wednesday to offer "support and condolences" following the sinking of a South Korean navy ship, the White House said.
South Korea on Wednesday ordered all government officials to stay on emergency alert until the crisis sparked by the mysterious sinking of a 1,200-tonne navy corvette late Friday near the tense border with North Korea is resolved.
Obama also noted "that the US Navy had extended assistance to South Korea's ongoing search and recovery effort and said we were prepared to provide further help if needed."