It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korean navy ship sinks, North link played down

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Raud

You are right on the money with that post. It was not too long ago that South Koreans fired on a North Korean ship, not sinking it, but causing damaging. There are always disputes going on over disputed water borders between the two countries. Hell, North Korean spy subs have come right up on shore down here in South Korea and have been destroyed. This is nothing new and will likely not create any further tension than there already is. This is a regular occurrence.

And technically, the north and south are still at war. The war never officially ended. They only signed a cease fire, not a treaty with a solution to any dispute. When either side feels like their security is at stake due to breached borders, they, based on their agreement, have the right to open fire.

The problem lies in the fact that there is sort of a gray area that both the north and south claim is theirs.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
UPDATE

Looks like somethings is about to get messy,

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - NKorea accuses SKorea, US of disturbing peace at border, warns of 'unpredictable incident.'

N. Korea warns South, U.S. of "unpredictable incidents including the loss of human lives" if tours to DMZ continue

www.msnbc.msn.com...

[edit on 28-3-2010 by asala]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

"If the U.S. and the South Korean authorities persist in their wrong acts to misuse the DMZ for the inter-Korean confrontation despite our warnings, these will entail unpredictable incidents including the loss of human lives," the North's KCNA news agency quoted the spokesman as saying. The South's Korea Tourist Organization said on its website ahead of the warning: "These days the DMZ is a safe destination that we would thoroughly recommend to any traveler."
The DMZ as a tourist attraction? Thats just nuts.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Missing bottom of sunken vessel found

The Korean military announced on Monday that the missing rear part of the naval patrol ship "Cheoan," in which 32 sailors are presumed to be trapped, was found 40 meters below the sea level in the West Sea.

A military official said, "Last night around 10:30 p.m., we found about a 30-meter-size object believed to be the rear part of the vessel."

"We are still investigating the object with underwater cameras, but because the water is not clear, it is taking time," he added.

www.koreaherald.co.kr...

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Wow, a naval dispute..a hit and run torpedo attack with the agressors unknown...

Gulf Of Tonkin incident 2010 anybody ???

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
The South Korean Defense Chief has just said that the North may have

Intentionally Floated a Mine

To destroy the ship:

BAENGNYEONG ISLAND, South Korea (AP) -- South Korea's defense minister says North Korea may have intentionally floated a mine to damage a naval ship that exploded and sank this week.

Forty-six crew members are missing and believed trapped within the wreckage of the ship, which went down Friday. Fifty-eight were rescued

While the cause of the explosion is unknown, Defense Minister Kim Tae-young told lawmakers in Seoul on Monday that rival North Korea may have floated a mine toward the ship.
AP

This is a real turn around from earlier statements.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
No signs of life in search of sunken South Korean ship

Divers have been hammering on the hulls of the front and rear sections of a sunken South Korean navy ship, but no signs of life have been detected, military officials said Monday.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Just because it may be a mine doesn't make it an act of war. It may be an act of negligence. If a moored North Korean mine broke free and drifted in to international or South Korean waters it would be considered an accident, not an act of war. Now, if the South Korean ship was deliberetly targeted or if North Korea intentionally moored it's mine in international or South Korean waters, then it would be an act of war. Something to consider is that both Japan and the Allies put mines into those waters during World War II. There is a possibility that the ship could have struck one of those mines.

A mine or torpedo is most efficient if it detonates under the keel of a ship, without making contact with the hull. The explosion will create a large gas bubble and when that bubble collapses it will break the ship in two. You end up with an initial shock wave when the explosion forms the bubble and then another shock wave when the bubble collapses.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
Just because it may be a mine doesn't make it an act of war. It may be an act of negligence. If a moored North Korean mine broke free and drifted in to international or South Korean waters it would be considered an accident, not an act of war. Now, if the South Korean ship was deliberetly targeted or if North Korea intentionally moored it's mine in international or South Korean waters, then it would be an act of war. Something to consider is that both Japan and the Allies put mines into those waters during World War II. There is a possibility that the ship could have struck one of those.

The WW2 mines laied in that area would long ago have corroded and sunk
even the Korean war era mines would have long ago sunk.
www.defence.gov.au...

A modern North Korean mine from a defensive mine field likely would have A breakaway safety.

This is a system that if the mooring cable breaks the mine turns up side down and a safety switch disarms the mine.
A drifting mine is just as much a danger to North Korean ships as to others so i believe they would have used the system on any of there defensive mine fields

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
SKorean president orders military on alert

South Korea's president ordered the military on alert Tuesday for any moves by rival North Korea after the defense minister said last week's explosion and sinking of a South Korean ship may have been caused by a North Korean mine.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
This came up in Russian media, sure related to recent happenings...

Medvedev says Russia joins UN Security Council sanctions against North Korea

en.rian.ru...

Story tells that sanctions are because of nukes, but timing tells another story. Really interesting is to see what is Chinas stance on this issue - without China sanctions are useless, but all of this easily puts China and Russia to whole different camps.

Is that the purpose, false flag against SCO???

EDIT:

This also related?

Russian nuclear cruiser sails on mission in Indian Ocean

en.rian.ru...

To understand what is happening... China is one who play the cards in Korea, and now Russian "experts" are playing down earlier Medvedevs statement about actions against North Korea:

Russia needs independent policy on North Korea - experts

en.rian.ru...

... So - not so fast mr president!

[edit on 30-3-2010 by JanusFIN]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

On Monday, the North kept silent on the sinking of the South Korean ship, but its state-run news media criticized the United States and South Korea over their annual joint military exercise, calling them “war maniacs running amok to prepare an invasion of the North.” It also warned of a “loss of lives” if the United States and South Korea did not stop allowing journalists inside the heavily armed buffer zone separating the two Koreas.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
South Korean rescue diver dies

A South Korean diver has died while searching for survivors of a naval ship that sunk on Friday, a defence ministry official has said.

The 53-year-old navy diver died on Tuesday after being brought to the surface unconscious after working 24 metres deep.

english.aljazeera.net...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by JanusFIN
It also warned of a “loss of lives” if the United States and South Korea did not stop allowing journalists inside the heavily armed buffer zone separating the two Koreas.

Quick! Send Katie Couric, Dan Rather, Brian Williams, Kieth Oberman and Diane Sawyer. Should be must see TV!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Some updates...

Nation mourns diver who perished during rescue operation
www.koreaherald.co.kr...

Weather hampers rescue efforts
www.koreaherald.co.kr...

Navy criticized for slow response to ship sinking
www.koreaherald.co.kr...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
S.Korea maintains alert after warship sinking

South Korea said Wednesday it has ordered all government officials to stay on emergency alert until the crisis sparked by the mysterious sinking of a warship is resolved.

The officials have been told not to take leave and to stay alert even when off-duty in case of emergencies, the home ministry said, reiterating an instruction first issued Saturday.

The 655,000-strong military and the police force were also ordered on heightened readiness, after an unexplained blast tore a 1,200-tonne corvette in two on Friday night near the tense border with North Korea in the Yellow Sea.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
if the north had anything to do with the sinking of the ship, it may well show their capabilites to wage clandestine conflict!

look out puny earthlings!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
North Korea denies involvement in Southern warship sinking

North Korea said it had nothing to do with the sinking of a South Korean warship in the Yellow Sea, Yonhap news agency reported Wednesday.

It was "ridiculous" for Seoul to try to involve Pyongyang in Friday's incident, an Northern official was quoted as saying.

The remark, made by a representative of Pyongyang's state-run agency for inter-Korean economic cooperation whilst on a visit to the Chinese border city of Dandong, was the first reaction from North Korea since the sinking.

The reaction came after South Korea's Defence Minister said Monday he did not completely rule out the possibility of North Korean involvement.

www.earthtimes.org...

[edit on 31-3-2010 by ZombieSlayer]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Obama offers support, condolences to SKorea over sunken ship

US President Barack Obama called South Korean President Lee Myung-bak on Wednesday to offer "support and condolences" following the sinking of a South Korean navy ship, the White House said.

South Korea on Wednesday ordered all government officials to stay on emergency alert until the crisis sparked by the mysterious sinking of a 1,200-tonne navy corvette late Friday near the tense border with North Korea is resolved.
___

Obama also noted "that the US Navy had extended assistance to South Korea's ongoing search and recovery effort and said we were prepared to provide further help if needed."

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 31-3-2010 by ZombieSlayer]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Military plays down N.K. foul play
www.koreaherald.co.kr...

Obama pledges nuke deterrence, ship rescue aid
www.koreaherald.co.kr...

South Korea hunts for clues to warship disaster
news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 1-4-2010 by ZombieSlayer]

new topics