It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korean navy ship sinks, North link played down

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

Originally posted by octotom

If the cause was a torpedo or mine, like was being said earlier, and North Korea is involved, the fact that South Korean ships patrol the waters doesn't mean much.

I'm leaning more towards an accident on board. NK doesn't normally hide what they do. If they sank i'm pretty sure they'd just gloat about it considering their nuke threats.

Now that you mention it, even if it WAS an accident on board, NK will probably take credit. That's how they roll.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

I agree that it's possible that the ship sank because of an accident on board. I just thought it was silly that the reporter's reason for it being unlikely that North Korea did something was because "South Korea patrols these waters". Know what I mean? A torpedo just isn't going to stop and turn around because it's not in North Korean waters anymore.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I just looked at a map. It is entirely possible that it could have been a Japanese or US mine left over from World War II. There were vast minefields in that area.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

SWEET... I am going with "Sharks Wearing Lasers". Or maybe a giant octopus!

link   

Originally posted by nydsdan

It certainly could have been an accident on the ship rather than something fired at the ship. I'd say the following are all still possibilities:
- Engine or other ship malfunction/explosion
- NK Torpedo
- NK Mine
- China or other country weapon test went wrong (unlikely but possible)
- This ship was laying mines and one went off
- Flock of birds kamikaze attack
- Sharks wearing freaking lazers

Haha, Thanks man that last one made me laugh

-Kdial1

link   
www.baltimoresun.com...

A news report says a number of South Korean sailors died when their military ship sank off an island not far from North Korea.

South Korea's Yonhap news agency cited an unidentified naval official early Saturday as saying there were some deaths.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Thank you for your reply.
TV news says that the spokesman of the Blue house said that it seems to have little connection with NK attack and they are investigating the cause.

They are debating about the attak, the unseen rock, or the explosion in the vessel.

And the people in the island near the accident spot are saying that they heard very loud big gun firing sound.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Calm is what is needed when news re getting hot...

North Korea has said recently it is bulking up its defenses in response to recent joint South Korean-U.S. military drills, Yonhap reported. The news agency also quoted South Korean military officials saying North Korea conducted dozens of artillery firing drills Friday.

[Posted at 11:01 a.m.] A South Korean navy ship was sinking in the Yellow Sea near North Korea early Saturday, and the navy was shooting at an unidentified ship toward the north, Yonhap News Agency reported.

news.blogs.cnn.com...

... No hurry to make accusations, but very interresting situation. My sorry for sailors who died and lets hope that no-one will to get trigger happy because of this. Even if it was done by some NK capitan, its not sure if he did it by just because of his own will.

War is always possible to stop in its beginning, but we need all the decipline from troops now... Its easy to say it was just explosion in the ship, and stop war from its beginning - I really hope that.

Thanks from ATS again from bringing event fast to our attention!

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Revision history of North Korea and weapons of mass destruction

en.wikipedia.org...

((cur) (prev) 17:23, 26 March 2010 79.71.61.127 (talk) (55,839 bytes) (→Nuclear deterrence) (undo)
(cur) (prev) 13:44, 26 March 2010 78.98.177.237 (talk) (55,831 bytes) (Undid revision 352147797 by 212.87.70.108 (talk)) (undo)
(cur) (prev) 12:58, 26 March 2010 212.87.70.108 (talk) (55,844 bytes) (undo)
(cur) (prev) 12:43, 26 March 2010 ClueBot (talk | contribs) m (55,831 bytes) (Reverting possible vandalism by 212.87.70.108 to version by Xtcy3. False positive? Report it. Thanks, ClueBot. (576081) (Bot)) (undo)
(cur) (prev) 12:43, 26 March 2010 212.87.70.108 (talk) (54,999 bytes) (undo) (Tag: repeating characters)
(cur) (prev) 12:40, 26 March 2010 212.87.70.108 (talk) (54,984 bytes) (undo) (Tag: references removed)

212.87.70.108 keeps trying to change wikis page on North Korea and weapons of mass destruction.

The number traces back to Brune Park Community College in U.K.?

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Looked at some of the TV news. Nothing being mentioned really????
Then on Fox the one mention I saw said that SKorea was downplaying reports of an attack. "Downplaying" was the exact word chosen.

My take thus far is that this was another one of NK/SK fire exchanges that went too far. China and the US are reeling them in. Official line will be that nothing happened ...it was an accident and a flock of birds.

Also, curious to hear from the S Korean poster what their media is saying!

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Possible mishandling of the ammo on board? Says explosion is in the rear and I saw a pic of the ship and it looks like its possible.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This may have nothing to do with it, but the police and some sort of gov't personnel(MP,s maybe?) showed up at my downstairs neighbors(who is in the Navy and stationed on a submarine) at 3a.m. this morning. There was a lot of arguing and then they all left in a hurry with him following the police and gov't vehicle( a grey van with gov't plates). Anybody else know of Navy personnel possibly being called to duty in the middle of the night last night?

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrianInRI
This may have nothing to do with it, but the police and some sort of gov't personnel(MP,s maybe?) showed up at my downstairs neighbors(who is in the Navy and stationed on a submarine) at 3a.m. this morning. There was a lot of arguing and then they all left in a hurry with him following the police and gov't vehicle( a grey van with gov't plates). Anybody else know of Navy personnel possibly being called to duty in the middle of the night last night?

:Rubschin: hmmmm.... Interesting... Do you know if he is an Officer or Enlisted?

-Kdial1

[edit on 26-3-2010 by kdial1]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by BrianInRI

Sure someone wasn't drinking too much soju last night??

2nd line

[edit on 26-3-2010 by antonia]

link   
From the FT:

The defence ministry said the ship had a hole beneath the waterline but also declined to specify a cause.

www.ft.com...

So in theory,this could have been caused by an enemy mine of torpedo,but they ain't saying-although I imagine the SK defence ministry knows the cause.

Of course it could still have been caused by an accident on board.

link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

China and the US are reeling them in

What about the next time? Or the time after? China can't stop N.Korea from being crazy otherwise they would have already. Maybe China wants N.Korea to be crazy.

The US can't tell S.Korea to stop patrolling otherwise it'd invite the North to patrol closer and make the South look weak.

Both sides are spiralling towards a cataclysmic ending if there isn't a rebellion in the north to produce a regime change. And even then, they could end up with even more of a psychopath controlling the military. Hopefully the "ending" won't be tomorrow or the day after, but it will happen one day.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by john124]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

FNC just reported that SK says it was not an attack by NK, but an ammo explosion as you mentioned.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Well FOX just closed this one and said N.Korea had nothing to do with it...

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
So let's just move over to the isreal/palestine shelling each other thread seems fox is picking that one up now

[edit on 26-3-2010 by alchemist2012]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
It's not Kim Jong ill we should be worried about, it's his son, some have said that he is just like his father and even more war hungry...

"For all those reasons, presumably, Kim Jong Un, thought to be 26 years old now, has apparently been designated, by his father and the upper echelons of Pyongyang's secretive Workers Party, as the one who will continue the dynastic regime in the North. He is indeed the Prince, destined to be the ruler of the country founded by his grandfather, Kim Il Sung."

Read more: www.time.com...

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join