It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much of this is true???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
How much of this, in terms of weapons and technology, is real. And can someone post the real life examples of it?

The whole Americans good Russians bad scenario is getting a bit tired though.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3vilscript

The whole Americans good Russians bad scenario is getting a bit tired though.

True, but it is the world Clancy grew up in.

None of that weaponry is developed yet. Especially the anti-armor mortar thingy..... but I bet they are working on it.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Most of that stuff is inspired by real-world correlates, but the actual combinations, integration, and sophistication of the gear simply isn't there yet to consider that video as anything realistic.

So far as I'm aware; we have weaponized robotic units in deployment - though they more resemble the Mars Rovers than Tachikoma-ish type "multiped" support tanks. I've seen them mostly used to defuse/detonate IEDs, detect mines, remote recon/paint targets, clear out confined spaces like housing complexes in urban settings... etc. None of which are automated. The closest you'd probably get to that kinda robot shows is Boston Dynamic's Big Dog.

Augmented Reality which displays mission info, identification tags, target tracking, terrain maps, messages, etc, through their goggles/scope is here now... but it's not as slick and useful as that. I've seen it used for Hollywood movie production, Sunglass/Clothing websites, and video games. Microsoft's project Natal is an augmented reality system. I don't think it's light and portable enough for the military to adopt... but they will eventually.

Invisibility Cloaks have been demonstrated by a few labs, but they work by projecting images still. Haven't heard much out of it since then. It was a novelty item then, pretty much. We don't know thermoptic camo like in Ghost in the Shell.

If that was an armored exo-skeleton I saw in the video, we have those. Well... Sarcos missile loading exoskeleton most people know about is supposed to be armor plated, but the latest one I saw was a lithe little unit from Berkeley Bionics which had a minimal profile, light weight construction, maneuvering flexibility - and the strength to carry about 150 (maybe more) pounds of gear while stabilizing the load and reducing shock to the feet during long excursions in the field.

I don't think they have the shoulder mounted rockets though. Those were probably just more for a flashy ending to the promo.

Anything else I overlooked?

---------------------------
(BTW; You might find this video useful.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by 3vilscript

Its more fun than beating up the poor bad guys with aks only don't you think? Anyways if you look at the trailer closer its more like ultranationalists Russians that they are targeting. And some of the technologies shown are based on real world research especially the unmanned ground vehicle, cloak, armor, exoskeleton, etc. Its possible with an exo suit, you could carry a few missiles on instead of carrying a larger AT4 or Javelin which are bulky.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Lasheic

Good post. Interesting video. What do you make of the weapons they're using? I think the sniper is a Barret, and I think some of the Russians have G-36-looking rifles. But what about the rest? Thanks for the input this is all very interesting to me.

reply to post by deltaboy

Agreed...

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by 3vilscript

What do you make of the weapons they're using?

I couldn't really say. Considering the context of the other technology shown, and Tom Clancy's modus operandi with other games and media, they're likely based on real weaponry both in service and in development... then "upgraded". (He seems to write like Michael Crichton, though in war & politics.. not science. Fiction, but keeps close enough to fact that the fudging line between the two is convincingly transparent).

I'm not much of a gun nut, so I couldn't really deconstruct it in a useful manner. I could definitely see a "tech upgraded" Barret being a feature of the game though... as I know enough to respect the role the .50 cal plays as a counter-snipe staple. That thing was designed to penetrate even brick walls and topsoil cover, and can rip a target in two from over a mile and a half away (and, it's just damn sexy). So for the Barret I could definitely see where augmented reality and network uplink to surveillance drones could (and will) find a role providing real-time target flagging, tracking, and aim assist.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by Lasheic]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lasheic
Augmented Reality which displays mission info, identification tags, target tracking, terrain maps, messages, etc, through their goggles/scope is here now... but it's not as slick and useful as that.

Newer helmet mounted sights for fighter airplanes already have as much and even more capabilities as these sights, though not as slick of course as you say. Of course, a fighter pilot carries a couple hundred kilos of sensors and computers with him...

Originally posted by 3vilscript
Good post. Interesting video. What do you make of the weapons they're using? I think the sniper is a Barret, and I think some of the Russians have G-36-looking rifles. But what about the rest? Thanks for the input this is all very interesting to me.

All the "Russians" carry normal weapons, mostly AK variants, MP5 and a newer bullpup whose name I dont remember. I dont see anything resembling a G36 though. The weapons of the Ghost Recon troops seem to be made up, except the Barrett.

new topics

top topics

join