It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coulter to file human rights complaint

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by metamagic

Can you post the email?

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Ann was on Bill O'reilly last night, it was hard to watch, I wish we had better spokespersons for the conservatives.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by metamagic
It appears that Coulter is attempting to manufacture a controversy. The facts...

1. I live in Ottawa and I read the email which was published in the newspaper. Contrary to her claims, she was not threatened with prosecution, it pointed out that the laws were different in Canada than the US and that things she says freely in the US may be considered actionable under Canada's laws.

I believe the point that she was trying to make is if none of the other controversial speakers before her received a similar 'letter of caution' than it would seem to me that she was being specifically singled out because of who she is affiliated with.

I am not familiar with Canadian law so forgive me if I have misunderstood the argument.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Perhaps you should do a little more research. The University didn't call off her speech; her security people did when a group of students wanted to exercise their free speech and call her a hypocritical hate monger with a huge Adams apple.

Awesome !!

You've just given me an idea for a Skunk Works thread...

Is Ann Coulter a transsexual ??

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Ann was on Bill O'reilly last night, it was hard to watch, I wish we had better spokespersons for the conservatives.

That goes without saying... Whatever happened to speaking one's piece without resorting to over the top, hysterical hyperbole...

Her best action would have been to go on with her speech, let the protesters protest, and use them to prove her point... Whatever the point would have been...

If one has the courage of one's convictions one should be willing to stare down the opposition, so to speak... Opponents welcome.

She is, for the most part, full of sound and fury, signifying damned little...

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Retrovertigo

Why is it, when one decries her venom, some feel the need to apply venom?

Just askin'.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

That goes without saying... Whatever happened to speaking one's piece without resorting to over the top, hysterical hyperbole...

She doesn't seem stable to me, why incite people?

Maybe she really works for the opposition, it makes me wonder sometimes.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Cos I can...

Next question ?

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

At least you're honest...

It's always struck me as odd that people fuss about the venom and hatred that idiot talking heads like AC spew, which is fine... But then they do the same thing...

'tis human, I guess...

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

At least you're honest...

It's always struck me as odd that people fuss about the venom and hatred that idiot talking heads like AC spew, which is fine... But then they do the same thing...

'tis human, I guess...

Like I said in my U2U, I realise I'm a hypocrite...

But unlike many many others, I have the cojones to admit it

Edit - corrected spelling of "cojones" after consulting Urban Dictionary...

[edit on 26-3-2010 by Retrovertigo]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

However there are some here on ATS that have Godlike Wisdom....

Then it would be almost like a devinely inspired message.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Ezra Levant has an axe to grind with the HRC, and this is probably another way for him to do it.

While I think that the HRC's way of dealing with him and Stein was absolutely retarded - this stupidity on his part again confirms why I think he's a grandstanding arse.

[edit on 2010/3/26 by Aeons]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Her best action would have been to go on with her speech, let the protesters protest, and use them to prove her point... Whatever the point would have been...

If one has the courage of one's convictions one should be willing to stare down the opposition, so to speak... Opponents welcome.

She is, for the most part, full of sound and fury, signifying damned little...

May I suggest that she is, in the end, just another chickenhawk. Lots of bluster, but in the end, unwilling to walk the walk.

And I, too, wish the Right had better spokespeople...ones that could rally their folks without fear mongering, and that expressed policy instead of obstruction.

Cuz the Left needs a healthy challenge as well.

Unless, of course, the divisions are meaningless and arbitrary.
Naww...

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

She comes from a country where the protesters can carry guns!

And she's afraid of Canadian protesters?

RIGHT. So believable.

And may I again reiterate that Coulter reminds me of Serena Joy from a Handmaid's Tale.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
From what I have read and heard from different sources...

It was cancelled at the last moment. The decision was made following the police advising it be cancelled for safety reasons. About 200 people had been admitted when a fire alarm was pulled causing further ruckus.

It was cancelled just minutes before she was to speak.

For the record she had already spoken at Western U. the day before.
Where she "supposedly" verbally attacked gay rights activists, the Obama administration and the MSM(of all things).

Some reports say the protesters got a little out of hand and started rushing the doors and the organizers were a little frightened, calling on the police for assistance.

I am not a big fan of her, frankly I don't care about her or other media personalities for the most part. But, I really don't get this. If you don't want to hear her, treat it like your TV and turn the channel/don't go see her.

This whole thing almost seems planned. Part of her agenda was to discuss freedom of speech.... What better way to discuss this topic and get attention then to cause such a media "event". Hype.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Just for those who keep tabs on irony ...

"Frankly, I'm not a big fan of the First Amendment." - A. Coulter www.alligator.org...

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Just for those who keep tabs on irony ...

"Frankly, I'm not a big fan of the First Amendment." - A. Coulter www.alligator.org...

The woman from top to bottom is a study in irony and hypocrisy.

She doesn't think women should vote. But she votes and campaigns.

She doen't like "modern women," but she has a university degree and isn't married and doesn't have children.

Her entire life is premised on the freedoms fought for by feminists.

She couldn't do ANY of what she does if it were not for feminism.

She doesn't live ANY part of traditional lifestyle AT ALL.

And people buy it.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Ann Coulter is about as relevant as Rush Limbaugh at a salad bar.

They are comedians to most people --- not sure if they realize it yet.

Kinda sad for her, really. To be so ignorant in life. I'm concerend for her mental health, and grip on reality.....

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
At this point, I'm pretty much convinced the whole Ottawa thing was a setup to further Ezra Levant and Mark Steyn's crusade against the Human Rights Commission.

Her security cancelled the speech, and nobody but her own people prevented her from speaking.

The letter she recieved from Provost Houle:

Dear Ms. Coulter,

I understand that you have been invited by University of Ottawa Campus Conservatives to speak at the University of Ottawa this coming Tuesday. We are, of course, always delighted to welcome speakers on our campus and hope that they will contribute positively to the meaningful exchange of ideas that is the hallmark of a great university campus. We have a great respect for freedom of expression in Canada, as well as on our campus, and view it as a fundamental freedom, as recognized by our Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

I would, however, like to inform you, or perhaps remind you, that our domestic laws, both provincial and federal, delineate freedom of expression (or "free speech") in a manner that is somewhat different than the approach taken in the United States. I therefore encourage you to educate yourself, if need be, as to what is acceptable in Canada and to do so before your planned visit here.

You will realize that Canadian law puts reasonable limits on the freedom of expression. For example, promoting hatred against any identifiable group would not only be considered inappropriate, but could in fact lead to criminal charges. Outside of the criminal realm, Canadian defamation laws also limit freedom of expression and may differ somewhat from those to which you are accustomed. I therefore ask you, while you are a guest on our campus, to weigh your words with respect and civility in mind.

There is a strong tradition in Canada, including at this university, of restraint, respect and consideration in expressing even provocative and controversial opinions and urge you to respect that Canadian tradition while on our campus. Hopefully, you will understand and agree that what may, at first glance, seem like unnecessary restrictions to freedom of expression do, in fact, lead not only to a more civilized discussion, but to a more meaningful, reasoned and intelligent one as well.

I hope you will enjoy your stay in our beautiful country, city and campus.

Sincerely,

Francois Houle,

Vice-President Academic and Provost, University of Ottawa

University of Ottawa's letter to Ann Coulter

Seriously, where's the hate crime there? A silly letter to send to Coulter yes, but hateful? Not in the least.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by Duzey]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

A very welcoming tone to the whole thing and a very reasonable request to obey the laws of the land...

Like you said, there seems to be a whiff of a bigger agenda in the air here...And it smells off

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join