It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing whale attack captured on video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   

au.news.yahoo.com

Rare video and photos show a pod of pseudo orcas being chased by killer whales.

The video was shot aboard a dolphin watching boat in New Zealand's Bay of Islands.

Just metres in front of the tourist boat, one of the massive killer whales flipped its prey into the air.

Their backs were broken and they ended up becoming a meal for the killer whales.

In what is being described as a "one in a million" event, Marine Biologist Karen Stockin said she has never seen anything like it.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.youtube.com

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Not sure about one in a million ! I have heard of this actually a few months ago in Tasmania as well, Orcas Hunting Dolphins near Port Arthur. The poor tourists were watching the dolphins when the Orcas came and ate their entertainment!

Its a Cetacean eat Cetacean world out there!

there a ink here too with some more Orcas Hunting Dolphins, its just jaw dropping watching these wolves of the sea...

You know i always wanted to be a Dolphin, now i think maybe an Orca would be better!

au.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-3-2010 by 2theC]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I always thought Dolphins could kill a great white? Why such weakness in the face of an Orca? LOL.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
I always thought Dolphins could kill a great white? Why such weakness in the face of an Orca? LOL.

same here i thought dolphin's could kill great white's. I never knew killer whale would kill a dolphin

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by anonymousproxy

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy

same here i thought dolphin's could kill great white's. I never knew killer whale would kill a dolphin

well there it is folks!
you learn something new every day!!

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Oh those poor dolphins, looks like they have absolutely no chance against the orcas, they are indeed very fast and powerful it seems, the one scene were the dolphin gets literally pushed out of the water, flying several meters above the surface, crazy.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
The orca's didn't behave much like the one's we see at the marina's, huh?
Ooo. Of course I felt sorry for the dolphins. I was hoping they would jump in the boat to avoid the situation.

I can't watch nature shows on TV for this reason. Sadness.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Great white can exceed 20 ft in length and 2.2 tons in weight and although often found in groups they are relatively dumb, but highly effective, killing machines.

Killer Whales can exceed 32ft in length and 9 tons in weight... They are also highly intelligent pack hunters!! They can communicate with each other, co-ordinate their attacks, and change tactics and strategies when needed! They really are top of their food chain!

www.acsonline.org...

[edit on 26-3-2010 by Muckster]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Clairaudience

yeh its nuts!
Those Orcas are incredibly powerful by the looks of it. It almost seems that they are playing too , like a cat, and at anytime they could have had the dolphin.
there is a long version of that video ( the second one) with laughing screaming tourists cheering on the orcas for a little extra bizzareness!

here it is below, the full version no slow mo...

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

They are.

But also they have a bit of an nasty streak.

Orcas have been observed, hunting as packs and seperating other Whales such as Right Whales and even Humpbacks, which are huge animals. They will force a Mother and new born calf away from the herd and chase them to exhaustion for many days if needed. When the Calf whale cant keep up anymore, and the mother is forced to gaurd it they then take turns trying to seperate them, attacking the mother from behind.

Anyhow usually the Calf gets too tired and cant rise to the surface anymore to breathe and the mum cant keep the calf afloat and keep the orcas at bay.

The pack of orcas then usually just kill the mother, eating just the tongue of the Mother and female and leaving the rest to rot.

The energy and time put into the calorific rewards of this chase are not advantageous to the Orcas. They have no benefit, and use more enrgy than they gain, but still dont eat all the Whales.

The whales they hunt like this, are not a threat to their food supply as the other whales eat plankton.

They do it for fun, and seems to have some ritualistic attributes, being only ever eating the tongues of their hunt.

As far as I know they have never been seen doing this to other prey, only other strict whales and not dolphins etc.

Amazing if cruel creatures.

Dolphins can kill orcas and even great Whites. However only when they are a school themselves and facing one or two Orcas. If the orcas are in a Pack they have no chance.

It seems then that Besides humans, and common chimps, Orcas are the only other animals on earth who hunt in packs, and kill for fun, territory or some type of symbolic act.

When they have attacked and killed Orcas and Great Whites it usually is when a School is attacked with young there otherwise they just scarper. When such a school is attacked the mothers and grandmothers stay with the young on the run, and a grup of males will circle and confuse the Orcas Sharks, hitting them with their sonar and putting up bubble screens between the Orcas/Shark and the young/mums fleeing trying to make them loose scent/sight/sound of the prey.

They then have been observed in the last moments if needed to take turns swimming very very fast in turns from underneath and the side, hitting the Orcas/sharks full on in vulnerable parts with their snouts.

Some sharks and orcas have apparently died after thses sorts of encounters.

It seems to be very dangerous for the dolphins as they can damage their snouts and sonar.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Orcas are actually considered dolphins and not whales. They are the most social and intelligent of all sea mammals and they are not to be messed with.

www.youtube.com...
This has been posted before, but is still amazing.
What's great is they return the seal to the ice once they're done.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
This act of overt aggression will not be tolerated. We shall rally forces and strike at dawn. We shall fight them near the beaches, we shall fight on the breeding grounds, we shall fight in the seas and in the fjords, we shall never surrender, and fight to the last!
Alert Admiral Snorky to prepare the men. God speed.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/15763aba6d41.png[/atsimg]
Thats cool to see on video.

new topics

top topics

join