It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY judge: CIA can keep secrets despite ACLU demand

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

NY judge: CIA can keep secrets despite ACLU demand

www.washingtonpost.com

EW YORK -- A judge for a second time has denied efforts by the American Civil Liberties Union to force the CIA to release names and documents relating to Sept. 11 detainees who were interrogated harshly.

CIA Director Leon Panetta had told the judge in court papers that releasing documents about the agency's terror interrogations would gravely damage national security.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
The ACLU asked for a second chance to argue on the subject, with Lustberg telling the judge he had an obligation to force the release of the identities of the detainees and related documents if he concluded that harsh tactics such as waterboarding, a form of simulated drowning, weren't sanctioned by Congress.

All the while, the stall tactics used by the Judge allowed the administration of former President George W. Bush to destroy some tapes (92 tapes in all) to protect the identities of the government questioners. This while the Department of Justice was debating whether the interrogation tactics were legal.

I guess this is just another brick in the wall, so to speak.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I am so sick of the National Security blanket clause they use for everything. What it says to me is 'the CIA has information that is so damning to the image of America that they can't release it.'

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Hello,
To quote from article; OP's link

"Judge Alvin K. Hellerstein listened to lawyers for the ACLU and the government for more than an hour Wednesday before announcing he had not changed his mind and would issue a written ruling later."

"However, I will adhere to the views I expressed last time and deny the motion," the judge said.

Sounds like this judge needs to be disbarred for treason.

(edit out my subjective rants)

[edit on (3/25/1010 by loveguy]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Once again we see a prime example of a system of so called justice that can be influenced by corruption and a desire to be less than transparent and less than truthful in its actions. Using National Security to hide the truth is a cop out and most know it.

I sometimes think that there should be a minister of truth and if don't pass the truth test, then you cant get away with keeping secrets just because it might embarrass some party or some group. Truth triumphs over deception and any attempt to keep the truth from those that deserve to know the truth should be the real crime punishable under law and enforced by the "Truth Police".

This is why if we had a truth police and enforced telling the truth they could be issuing tickets till the cows came home. That's a pretty long day if you understand farmer talk. Anyway, this latest refusal is so typical of a lying deceitful nation, that I would have been stunned if justice had been forth coming, but once again, some corrupt human in the system helped to undermine justice again and in doing so, undermined all of America at the same time.

The fact that they pulled the National Security excuse allows the so called judge to follow law and disallow such a request. How convenient to use the law one way and to deny the truth as a result of law. An oxymoron at best.

Thanks for the posting.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkspARCS

Don't pin this all on the Bush administration. If you blame the Bush administration for acts of torture the you must also blame Obama because he nominated Leon Panetta as head of the CIA and was confirmed by a Democrat Congress. Panetta is helping to keep those documents secret. How's that for a new "transparent" government and promising to hold the previous administration accountable?

[edit on 25-3-2010 by sos37]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Ya..it would gravely affect national security because we'd have the truth disclosed about the evil criminals that yank the strings behind the scenes.

I can't believe that Cheney, Rumsfeld, Perle and Wolfavitz walk this world as free men!! They are traitors to the US of A and are compicit in crimes against all of humanity.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
reply to post by DarkspARCS

Don't pin this all on the Bush administration. If you blame the Bush administration for acts of torture the you must also blame Obama because he nominated Leon Panetta as head of the CIA and was confirmed by a Democrat Congress. Panetta is helping to keep those documents secret. How's that for a new "transparent" government and promising to hold the previous administration accountable?

[edit on 25-3-2010 by sos37]

Bush / Obama ... Illuminati / Free Mason / Prince Hall....

Brotha's, from anotha motha I say...

Not Democratic / Republican ... but Free Man I Am. 8)

Relating to who destroyed the tapes.... The Bush Administration is guilty of obstructing Justice, amongst other counts of fraud, extortion, murder, racketeering, and treason.

The Obama Administration is guilty of aiding and abetting, obstructing Justice, collusion with intent to defraud, fraud, treason, sodomy, and gross negligence.

ok, well... sodomy isn't really, but.... the latest image posted in the Political Image of the Week thread seems suggestive...

top topics

join