It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man takes video in space - Baffles NASA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I ran across this video and thought I would share -

I'm having trouble finding more information, but from what I gather this guy somehow sent a video camera into space and was able to receive the video, im not sure how this is possible but none the less cool!! Apparently NASA is even questioning how he did this. Im looking for more info on this now!

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggyproductions05

This guy is great, and more power to him, he should be given a medal, or a grant for $$$$, what an original and well thought out idea.... Amazing!!

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggyproductions05

Hmmm..my hunch is a homemade weather balloon with a camera left to restrictively swivel or dangle and the whole thing connected to a few miles of cord or cable to pull it down.

edit:wow, make that 20 miles of cable?

[edit on 25-3-2010 by SmokeandShadow]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

Close, but no cord, just GPS tracking inside to locate it...

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I believe this is footage from the same event...but it shows the launch and the balloon poping and falling back to earth.

Not 100% they are the same...but same idea.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
This looks like that project those college kids did at MIT with a $150 budget.

www.wired.com...

link   
reply to post by freetree64

Ahh..wow, I would not take a chance with GPS...you might need to charter a boat to the middle of the Atlantic!

link   
I heard about this earlier. His setup had a GPS so he could retrieve the camera after the balloon deflated and returnd to earth.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

lol posted at the same time as you... yours is better.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

No cord, weather balloon goes up, balloon pop's camera comes down and the memory card is recovered.

That up there is not actually space, it's a very unique area to get footage from... Too low for space craft, too high for aircraft... It's still in the atmosphere.

I saw em do a launch on telly, maybe one of the earlier ones? It's essentially a weather balloon and a camera, not much more complicated than that.... They know more or less where it's gonna come down, maybe a small parachute for the last 100 or so feet and some radio beacon.

Pretty amazing footage

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
This is a quote from the youtube video, dont know if it is true, but i am sure some lawyers are working on a way to make illegal to do this.

He put a digital camera in an insulated box with a sealed lens, attatched a helium baloon to it & let it go. The cameral was set to record every 5 mins for a short period each time. He also incuded a GPS tracker on a small circuit board so he could track it's movements on his laptop. When the baloon reached approx 22 miles up it burst & when it started freefalling the parachute opened. He then tracked it & picked it up where it landed. He's done it many times before & all for £500, clever guy.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Ok someone please post a how to on this one !!

Very cool and hats off to these guys ! Keep the footage coming !

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
How is this news?

Ham radio clubs in my town have been doing this stuff for years... Taking great pictures/video, and tracking/documenting the whole process...

This is something I heard about at least ten years ago... Acting like nasa is just now jumping on it is plain stupid.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by alaskan]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

No cord, weather balloon goes up, balloon pop's camera comes down and the memory card is recovered.

That up there is not actually space, it's a very unique area to get footage from... Too low for space craft, too high for aircraft... It's still in the atmosphere.

I saw em do a launch on telly, maybe one of the earlier ones? It's essentially a weather balloon and a camera, not much more complicated than that.... They know more or less where it's gonna come down, maybe a small parachute for the last 100 or so feet and some radio beacon.

Pretty amazing footage

yeah space doesnt start until like 63 miles up. still its cool footage, reminds me of the video for Dayvan Cowboy by Boards of Canada with the USAF guy jumping out of a balloon in a special suit

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
That's amazing. Thanks to both posters for the two videos.

Too bad the second one included so much spinning; I would've liked to see the part where it goes through our atmosphere to the "edge of space". That part intrigues me the most but was skipped in both video. Still very bright thinkers though.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Wow! That was seriously cool. And it must be said, of course, it had to land in a tree!

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Wow that is very kewl

Though how long you think it will be before they make this sort of thing illegal

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by bluedrake

Launching things into controlled airspace is ILLEGAL, depending on where this person lives, he most likely did violate some sort of law.

who knows....

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Hey guys! I'm definitely going to do something similar to this. What would i need? Where could i get a GPS transmitter? And how can i get my camera to take pictures every X seconds?

new topics

top topics

join