It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you self employed and well established get health coverage?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
im from CA, i havent looked much into it, but by checking with kaiser, they have some options for about $300, $400 and $500 a month. At my work, my health coverage is based on month to month hours... for example, if i get 80 hours this month, that means im qualified for next month to be covered by kaiser and dental and vision etc etc, if i dont get 80 hours of work, then i get a letter in the mail saying that my coverage has been terminated and if i want to have the same coverage the following month, the cost is about $1,200.

So i work when i can, and i do little side jobs, but dont have a stable job. So im wondering, people that are self employed, how do you guys get health and dental and vision coverage, is $300, $400 about average for a family or is that number pretty low, as i said i havent looked into it that much yet, just starting to search around in case i loose my job or something, and will need to get some health coverage.

another quick question, if lets say something happens to me, and i have $40,000 in the bank (i still live with my dad married, trying to save up a bit before i move out) and lets say my injuries are very expensive, will the hospital or IRS go after my money and milk me dry?

i know many are without health coverage so im just wondering, isnt that risky, if you get hurt and IRS and collections can go after your assest, car, property, etc??

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by NickT916

"people that are self employed, how do you guys get health and dental and vision coverage, is $300, $400 about average for a family or is that number pretty low,"

"another quick question, if lets say something happens to me, and i have $40,000 in the bank, will the hospital or IRS go after my money and milk me dry?"

"i know many are without health coverage so im just wondering, isnt that risky, if you get hurt and IRS and collections can go after your assest, car, property, etc??

Hello,
You bring up good points in question.
I believe insurance of any sort is a racket. That takes from me what I can put in savings.

"Milk money" invest it in a solid commodity like gold. Put it in a safe that only you know exists. Then it's not really there then is it?

Yes, medical bills can lead to both bankruptcy, and or collected by an agency. Also in some states I would expect blacklisted from emergency rooms etc.

[edit on (3/25/1010 by loveguy]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by NickT916

I am not well established or self employed and I still pay roughly that amount. If I had been allowed a raise this past year they would have hiked insurance up and extra $10 a week taking nearly ¼ of my income.

This is for family coverage health and dental. Some medications are not even covered or little of them is covered. But what can I do even though I think my current plan sucks it is better than my wife’s which is around the same price.

Raist

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I'm self employed and have no coverage that is usable. I have coverage that only will be used for "catastrophic damage". With my deductibles, I can't do crap.

I go to a 'county' place that gives real good assistance. They are a Non Profit, and top notch. I donate what I can afford when I need their help, which is very rare. $300 dollars or more a month for insurance would mean the difference between living in my current apartment which houses my business, or moving into a smaller square footage dump, and having no home based business.

You do the math.

new topics

top topics

join