It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horrendous spelling on ATS... a sign of the times?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diplomat

Practically every post I read is littered with ridiculous spelling errors and most of the posts are no more than 1 or 2 lines with a bunch of exclamation points and smiley faces as if it's some text message to a middle school friend.

The misuse of 'then' & 'than' is at epidemic proportions on this site.

I have also noticed that the people who usually claim to be Star Children, Alien Souls, of Reptilian Bloodline, Indigo's, Attention Seeking Narcissists etc, often type in one big, long sentence that is absent of any punctuation or structure. Why is that? It seems, the bigger the conspiracy theorist, the worse the spelling, punctuation and grammar.

It's terrible to say this but sometimes I feel like I'm on the set of 'Idiocracy' when browsing the threads.

To those who do not suffer from ailments such as dyslexia, I see it as a form of intellectual laziness, yet you will hear claims that their spelling has nothing to do with their knowledge, comprehension or intelligence.

I'm sorry but if you cannot write decent English, how the hell are you reading it and comprehending it in the first place? My bet is that the books you claim to be reading weren't written in such a fashion. So are you too lazy for personal improvement?

If you cannot comprehend how to properly use something as simple as 'then' and 'than', how am I to believe you can comprehend anything of higher complexity? It begs the question!

Of course, I'm not claiming to be perfect, or that anyone is perfect, but if I make a mistake, I try to remedy it the next time around. Personal standards are not a bad thing.

IRM

[edit on 25/3/10 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I have a spelling problem that is due to a sort of disorder best I can figure. It really gets bad latter in the day.

But just so you know oh yea that spelleth well, one of my professors in college told me that I had the very rare gift of being highly intelligent and yet a bad speller. Got As in his class and did a good deal of writing.

Just some thoughts. I have seen folks that could spell well but were just lights out good old fashioned country stupid.
Heck! Have seen some that could speak several languages and were like wise afflicted. And some even that were great at math and yet totally confounded by the prospect of square and round pegs in square and round holes.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I for one sir salute thee. Yes it is a certain gift ye possess which makes thee our natural leader. Spelling and grammar. I like to see my shortfallings in these areas as a subconscious rejection of all that is structured. Yes.

But you make a good point about comprehension. From one that suffers form a spelling problem I can tell you that the two are not mutually exclusive. This is simply a fact that has been noted in the savant syndrome. But your point about laziness is well taken.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

reply to post by sv_gravity 800

You don't need anyone else to educate you these days, you can educate yourself all you want. We have an amazing tool at our fingertips, it's called the Internet... and it contains all of the information in the world (at least most of it lol).

.......how am i going to use a computer the first day into grade one and surf the web when don’t even know how to turn it on yet, i don’t even know what a operating system is, i don’t even know the names of all the letters on the keyboard. EVEN IF I DID, i don’t know how to spell or read well enough to operate and figure it out by myself.

i could barely type until msn came out around grade 6.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

And you carry yourself with such class too.
You can't discern the difference between 'threw' and 'through', yet you spell curse words like a champ. That's exactly the point I was making.
Instead of whinging about how no one helped you (no one helped me either, I helped myself) and carrying on like a child, you might want to make a conscious effort to improve.
It would appear that you're making mistakes intentionally, to garner some sort of sympathy. Well, you'll find none here.

Originally posted by sv_gravity 800

Now that I know how to learn, I won’t stop.

Good. Then learn the difference between 'your' and 'you're'.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Matthew Dark

haha I can't believe you.

"You're" unbelievable. I'm "through" with you.

“Everyone starts as a blank pallet; someone needs to paint the picture so the ink can dry”

Think about it.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matthew Dark

You can't discern the difference between 'threw' and 'through', yet you spell curse words like a champ. That's exactly the point I was making.
Instead of whinging about how no one helped you (no one helped me either, I helped myself) and carrying on like a child, you might want to make a conscious effort to improve.
It would appear that you're making mistakes intentionally, to garner some sort of sympathy. Well, you'll find none here.

Originally posted by sv_gravity 800

Now that I know how to learn, I won’t stop.

Good. Then learn the difference between 'your' and 'you're'.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Good. Much better. See, now you're motivated. I guess a good jab to your pride was what you needed.
I don't care much for metaphors and parables, so good luck with that stuff kid.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   

dont ask why the quote is ink and not paint, thats just how it is.

because i can see it coming

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Of course, you mean to say:

And you carry yourself with such class, too

Yopu need to slow down!

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

My mistake.
It was a simile.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by hthjason

Of course, you mean to say:

And you carry yourself with such class, too

Yopu need to slow down!

Heh, of course. Thank yopu for pointing that out.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
spelwing mistaks I dont haf a probwem wif em, so I dont reely understand?

But it really is a problem with the younger generation, shortening down words, like lol, roflmao, np, ty, fyi, bs, sw, if this continues, I think there will be a very big problem, when they grow up that's for sure. Take care people

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Well, i don't know if anyone here considered this (i didn't read all the pages
), but many people here on ATS doesn't have English as their's main language. I'm one of those people.

I'm sure you will find a lot of spelling mistakes on my posts.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Canslli
Well, i don't know if anyone here considered this (i didn't read all the pages
), but many people here on ATS doesn't have English as their's main language. I'm one of those people.

I'm sure you will find a lot of spelling mistakes on my posts.

Well you do a great job for someone who has English as a second language. I think you will find that most people here are very forgiving of that, and we understand that mistakes will be made. The main thing is that you try your best and for that, you will get much respect.

IRM

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I haven't read the thread yet, but if this has been said already, then consider it seconded:

1. Find something you care about, and memory becomes a given.

2. The only road to consistent perfection is perfecting visualization.

3. The most wonderful thing about learning is you don't have to stop when the teacher leaves. In fact, I'd say that if you really wanted to, you could learn something new every day of your life.

Certainly, a star and flag for caring at all, with all the other turmoil vectored our way.

EDIT: Yep, it still works.

EDIT (after reading through the thread):

The only reason I'd say it's important to have correct spelling, is also pretty much the only reason I try to use it as best I can (depends greatly on mood
).

My main concern, after being on forums for around 20 years now, is getting my thoughts written down in such a way as to convey the exact thought I was having. It simply cuts down on wasted space, effort and time - and in turn overall stress. That's gotta be a plus.

And that's it.

One minor note of caution: I love editing, and I've been doing it for all my loved ones for ages (I appreciate helping them.) And I have to say, I'd hate being charged with editing some of these posts for grammar, spelling and structure - especially the ones who think they have it down pat.

But I also believe that for the most part they all accurately conveyed their respective thoughts, so I can only say bravo to all!

And thanks to you, Diplomat, for an interesting read.
S&F
side note: Starred the other one too...well said...and indeed, still seconded.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by lagnar]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   

This thread is fun, already some people ripping their skins off..

I thought about opening a similar thread a while ago, but i think it would have been named something like:

"Horrendous times on ATS... a sign of the spelling?"

Sorry
, but that's also true, the last few months have been terrible, to the point that when reading through a thread and finding out i would like to reply to someone else's post, sometimes i better do not, because it is painful to read some of those posts.

I also have my share of wrong doings by the way
, but i also share the opinion of at least trying to improve my writing instead of crying "spelling nazi!" as a way to excuse myself and avoid trying to do better.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by Kaifan]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
Multiple Intelligences

I have a lot of time for Gardner's theories on multiple intelligences. I also have a lot of time for Paulo Freire's theories on critical pedagogy too.

However if we are to communicate, especially in light of the various corners of the globe we all come from then a basic etiquette of clarity should be ensured by all who post.

For example Titen-Sxull you state that, whilst fairly confident in your spelling, you have considerations about your ability to use grammar effectively. You stated this in a very clear fashion which offers no ambiguity - you made perfect sense!

When someone tries to explain the multifaceted influences of various dimensions which require magnetism, quantum physics and some sort of zen balance then they really should go to the bare basics of expressing themselves in a clear and understandable manner.

This does not occur on ATS very often. We have throngs of people who will pat each others backs on issues as wide ranging as political allegiance, religious beliefs, the existence of extraterrestrial life and the rest of the content here. Rather than ask for a detailed expansion upon a theory which has roots in understandable language they'll say S+F +1 and shoot down anyone who questions the theory even though they can't explain it any better than the thread starter.

It's mob mentality and it's generally those who are 'feeble minded' that are noticed for doing so.

Don't get me started on the 'I'll post a link later' or 'I remember reading - but I can't remember where...' and the amazing 'Search for yourself for the answer - I cannot provide you the journey' crap that goes on alongside incoherent gibberish.

S+F OP!!1!!

-m0r

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   

reply to post by Titen-Sxull

You don't think there is an agenda of dumbing people down?

WOW... I won't even read the rest of your post, as immature as that is. If you don't understand that there is a full-on agenda to dumb-down the public then I don't even really know what to say to you. You have a lot to learn still about all this "conspiracy" stuff.

I think the problem here isn't people's spelling but your own arrogance. You're probably a really smart person, so it's somewhat your responbiility to help those with lesser intelligence understand.

Simply blowing off someone because they say something that you disagree with isn't the right way of going about it either. What you posted above doesn't make you look like a smart person, but it makes you look like a dickhead. You're not a dickhead so why would you say something like that?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join