Horrendous spelling on ATS... a sign of the times?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I agree that standards need to be met, especially since this is a format that rides on the typed word, and sometimes a misplaced letter can even change the intent of what was written.

That being said, I come here to have fun, get some mental stimulation, contemplate alternative views and ideas, and relax... I have to coss my T's and dot my I's all day long... damned if I'll do it here.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Diplomat

Most of the people in this thread don't even think there is an agenda going on to dumb-down the public. That should be introductory conspiracy material, something that anyone on a "conspiracy" forum should already know well about.

I recently started a post that sort of relates to this...

Psychological manipulation of the population

We are all such better little worker bees if we react on emotions rather than logic and reason!!

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Well, the internet has become a lot more popular and has become the main communication source in society so there are a lot more younger users. I've seen posts here from 12 year olds, just an example of how young some posters are. Some of the users I see here have perfect spelling and grammar yet spew out some of the most idiotic things I've read.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I believe the biggest contribution to this would be the teen texters, who are so use to texting. Me being one of them, I get so use to texting in short form that sometimes I’ll forget who I’m talking to, or presenting information towards and I’ll just use short forms for everything because my brain is on autopilot

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

ahah there we go.

when i was younge (grade 1 - 5) my entire street and I were out untill 2am everynight playing manhunt threw everyones backyard.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Dude, I have the same problems with it as you do.
In fact, I started a fairly well written diatribe about it here: www.abovetopsecret.com...
Met, of course, with mixed responses...then a certain mod decided to close it for no real reason (Yeah, you know who you are.) I would argue that I brought up some good points, with examples, but my pleas for a more educated group of peers would seem to have fallen on deaf ears...er...eyes...whatever.
Some people seem to think that as long as content is acceptable, it matters not that spelling and grammar aren't...which I find pathetic.
So, I'm in the same rapidly sinking ship as yourself.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
What Im hearing from some of you really hurts me, and everyone with spelling problems. Some of you are stating you can't believe "people" who can't spell or use proper grammar.

Who says its their fault at all?.

Parenting, Teaching, Living Conditions, Where you live.

there is so much to contribute, in no way shape or form should you be able to blame the person who lacks the ability to spell. Blame the person who tried to teach them.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by sv_gravity 800
You want to know why i can't spell?

Because you've decided to blame others for your lack of initiative to educate yourself better?

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sv_gravity 800

You don't need anyone else to educate you these days, you can educate yourself all you want. We have an amazing tool at our fingertips, it's called the Internet... and it contains all of the information in the world (at least most of it lol).

link   
There are many factors at work in this. One particularly large piece of the puzzle is the way spell-check and auto-spell programs have advanced in the last few years. When you type something into Google, use a file program, or text message, in many cases the program automatically corrects your spelling errors or fills in the word before you finish typing it. In as short a time as two years or so of using these kinds of devices, I noticed my spelling ability was dropping off a cliff. It really was a dramatic change, proving how true the old axiom "use it or lose it" can be. I have since disabled or avoided all such programs and I noticed my spelling dramatically improved. The fact that ATS has no spell-check option has actually been enormously helpful in improving and restoring my spelling and grammar abilities.

link   
I have duel degre's and find miself ocasionalie mispelling hear.

I also have a PHdee and beleave it is becawse the miss spawling is eyether doo to alcobeer or no spell chek on ats

what r your thoughts?

l8r

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sv_gravity 800

You've come a long way, 'gravity'...and have done well. Contratulations.

If you wish to improve (and it seems that you do) just keep checking every time you aren't sure.

I have one for you, you've used it here several times, just in case you weren't aware (and this is NOT critical, at all...meant to help, might avoid some future embarrasment)>

The word 'threw' versus the word 'through'.

They are homonyms, but of course have completely different meanings.

'threw' is a verb, as in "He threw the ball."

'through' is a...actually, I don't know whether it's an adjective, or an adverb...it has different usages, to be honest....here are two:

"He passed through the curtain."

"I've been through enough pain for one lifetime."

Compared to a synonym for "ended" or "over and done with", such as:

"She said to her boyfriend, 'That's it! We're through!'"

See?

[edit on 25 March 2010 by weedwhacker]

link   
reply to post by ArcAngel

That is such a cliche response to a thread like this.

Not very original at all.

link   
what about the horendous knit picking on ATS of late, hmm

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I was checking over my little sisters homework the other day, and I noticed a lot of spelling errors. I told her to go back and correct them so she will get a better grade, and she told me that her teacher dosent care if they make spelling mistakes...as long as the teacher can understand what they are writing. So maybe the schools are to be blamed for this... who knows

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by scubagravy

Knit-picking?

I'm simply making an observation and creating a discussion.

Sorry that you don't like it.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

You talk about the spelling being a sign of lack of intelligence. I say as long as the message gets across...who cares. Unless the message is how smart they are and they continue to make spelling errors and grammatical errors. Also do you have any solid undeniable proof of the claims you are making about dumbing down? A lack of intelligence is to jump to a conclusion and believe it is fact without undeniable evidence to back it up.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by kerazeesicko]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kerazeesicko

Like I told someone earlier: It's not JUST the spelling. It's deeper than that. If you have been visiting this forum for almost a decade then you probably know what I'm talking about.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I've learned to get over spelling mistakes here, as long as it's still readable who cares?

Having said that I am a spelling nazi on myself and I will usually recheck everything I wrote. (unless in mutter, then I just suck at spelling!)

It does help that Firefox has an inbuilt spell checker too...It's still learning though, since it's American and I speak OSRALIAN

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I posted a similar thread in 2008, but it wasn't very popular, and people found what I said offensive:

Is ATS proof of the dumbing down of America?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I don't think I was unnecessarily rude though, and I think plenty of people have seen my point.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by maus80]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join