It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horrendous spelling on ATS... a sign of the times?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sv_gravity 800

Now compare that to a few hundred years ago when there was no public school system at all, when we were lucky if one tenth of the entire population could read AT ALL.

I wasn't too happy about my public education either or the outdated text books but its far preferable to the centuries past. Slow progress is still progress. To say that the educations kids receive are sub-par is one thing, to say that an education is making people dumber... that's a bit different.

SV_Gravity 800 eh, would you be opposed if I activated noclip?

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
What would you say is the most efficient path to becoming "intelligent" and "educated?"

I would say it's an old-school thing called "reading."

The more you read, the more you know. The more you read, the more you know how to spell correctly. Therefore, if you can't spell correctly, it is likely that you don't know much. (or English is not your first language, which is understandable)

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diplomat
reply to post by Silver Shadow

It's much deeper than just spelling. The terrible spelling is a sign of something much more intricate, I'm afraid.

Perhaps, but for some people here English may not be their first language, and dyslexia is more common among highly intelligent people.

Typing stuff out rapidly on a chat Forum is not quite like composing a formal letter to some God like figure.

Personally, I am far more interested in the substance of a post, than the omission of a comma somewhere.

But each to their own I suppose.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Its only a sign that not everyone on this board are American / Native english speakers.
I personally feel that my spelling gets ***** when I am in the midst of a heated debate with another board member.

In any case, spelling is the last thing to use a scale to a persons intelligence.

I take it as a good sign to see bad spelling, it means diversity, people from different parts of the world who come here to share thoughts and info.

link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by Phlynx

I'm cornfused....

To much

When pointing to the emoticons, did you intend to write "to munch" ??

Or, was it "too much" ??

I think "to munch" is brilliantly funny, but that's just me. (not "I").

I forgot the too. lol

link   
I think it goes without saying that people who don't speak English as their first language deserve a "pass." I figured that much was obvious.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Diplomat

Well... first off I’d like to say that you cannot judge intelligence on spelling...

However, I do understand where you are coming from... I, like you, have been reading ATS for years and i too have noticed a recent drop in standards regarding every aspect! Maybe it’s the new generation of instant gratification text talk teens!?!?

I am slightly dyslexic (at least that’s what i was told at school) and I do have problems with spelling. I sometimes miss out letters from words and even confuse words.

I have to read, spell check, read again, and check again before i post, and even then, i make mistakes. I failed English at school and 25 years later still do not have a full understanding of correct punctuation!

I try not to worry about it and hope that people see past my mistakes and appreciate my writing!

I hate the fact that I struggle with such a basic thing as English... I would give my right arm (good job I’m left handed) to be able to fully master my native language! I guess that’s one of the reasons why I get so frustrated when i see people deliberately mutilate the English language.

If u no wat i mean... l8ers m8!!!

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by freebourn

I disagree. It is not ONLY a sign that some people here do not speak English as their first language. That is ONE of the reasons. You are incorrectly assuming that that is the only reason why there is terrible spelling around here.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

man.... I wish I could do all of public school again at this age knowing what i know now, how information can be used or abused.

But the problem goes back farther then school to, i have parents that didn't bother getting me ready for kindergarten, they didn't teach me the alphabet, simple math, colours. I had to learn everything in kindergarten. i was a alien compared to everyone else, my favourite game was to pretend i was a cashier......... and i would sell items in the class to people for fake money lol

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
it is inevitable that the spelling of words change over time. its progression of language. language is a living thing almost that changes with the society. but yea people cant spell. or type, proofread...

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Or...as it is for me...English isn't my spoken language, so a few flaws here and there in the spelling, i hope you have indulgence with...

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I'm afraid I still cannot agree with you, that there is some intentional agenda here.

The fact of the matter is technology. It is changing us, not as some "grand design", but just is.

Let's look at it another way, perhaps?

In Shakespeare's time, were not words spelt much differently? Even (if you are an American) our revolutionary-era documents display this older style, yet competely acceptable, way of spelling.

And, of course, speech patterns, words long obsolete, phrasing, etc. Just in the English language, but this sort of thing occurs in all languages, all cultures, for various reasons.

Today, we have a fast-paced society, in the Western World at least. Like SDog, there is "txt-speak" infiltrating our lexicons. Not only that, check out sites such as "Urban Dictionary" (Is that right? '-ary'? Or, is it '-ery'? Nope, I was correct the first time...whew!)

I'm fairly lucky, for some reason, and I think I know why --- but I can almost always see a word when it is spelled incorrectly. Because, I think this is key, I read a LOT when I was young, starting very early, and continuing.

I am also a strong proponent of parents' reading to their children, regularly, and starting as young as pre-school ages. Sharing, reading along...I credit my mother for doing that with me....

[edit on 25 March 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Well, I am also driven to distraction by the horrendous spelling and grammar.
I think it really is a result of the failure of schools to emphasize basic skills. Educators get bored with normal old fashioned teaching and jump on every bandwagon that comes along and the students suffer.

It has produced a generation of functional illiterates. One of the biggest complaints by employers is lack of basic reading, writing, and arithmetic skills in their new hires.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I thinks its more of a sign or the less educated and less intelligent people finally waking up,

I Personally held back on posting comments for a while because I felt less educated then most of the people posting,

In the end I just thought oh well this is a team effort at spreading info, Not a spelling and grammar competition
bt whn peeps rite like dis it does get a bt iratatin init

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster

Well... first off I’d like to say that you cannot judge intelligence on spelling...

However, I do understand where you are coming from... I, like you, have been reading ATS for years and i too have noticed a recent drop in standards regarding every aspect! Maybe it’s the new generation of instant gratification text talk teens!?!?

I am slightly dyslexic (at least that’s what i was told at school) and I do have problems with spelling. I sometimes miss out letters from words and even confuse words.

I have to read, spell check, read again, and check again before i post, and even then, i make mistakes. I failed English at school and 25 years later still do not have a full understanding of correct punctuation!

I try not to worry about it and hope that people see past my mistakes and appreciate my writing!

I hate the fact that I struggle with such a basic thing as English... I would give my right arm (good job I’m left handed) to be able to fully master my native language! I guess that’s one of the reasons why I get so frustrated when i see people deliberately mutilate the English language.

If u no wat i mean... l8ers m8!!!

damn right you can't

I was in special needs threw all of public school. I never got to learn how to spell. Grade 9 came around, i'm no longer in special need, and i must be the worst speller i know, but that didn't stop me from getting the science award, and helping hands award my first year in a regular class.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by OddTimeSignature

You seem to be doing pretty well to me.

I am by no means the holy messiah of the English language. I am a human being just like the rest of you and make mistakes as well. No one is perfect.

All I am saying is that the collective intelligence as a whole on this forum seems to be dramatically declining compared to how it used to be.

Most of the people in this thread don't even think there is an agenda going on to dumb-down the public. That should be introductory conspiracy material, something that anyone on a "conspiracy" forum should already know well about.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I have noticed this all over the internet and it drives me nuts inside but I understand not everyone is on the same level with grammar and spelling and not everyone has English as their first language. I have been known to be a grammar and spelling Nazi by friends, family and co-workers. I do think people should be able to type their language the right way.

I also believe yes they are dumbing people down. Shows like "The Bachelor" "The Hills" "Dancing With The Stars," "The Real Housewives" and so on are POINTLESS. They are people making complete fools of themselves on tv for money and fame. The only thing people learn from these shows is how to do stupid things in life to get ahead. I miss the educational shows that use to be on TV. Video games in my eyes are a tool to make people less educated as well, my brother is a victim of this 100%. The internet to me is the best thing ever. I love to read. I use to live in the library as a child, now it's Barnes and Noble
and the internet. People are distracted by life and to some the last thing many think about is their grammar or spelling online. A friend of mine has stated she doesnt care about that stuff because it's the internet.

Can you post some links that will show what you feel is being done to dumb down people?

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
When I was young my parents forced me to have an early bedtime, and there was no way I would be able to turn my television on after bedtime without them knowing about it.

So, I was left to settle with the old "flashlight under the covers" method. Now remember, this is when I was still very young, so it's not like I was reading the Wall Street Journal under the covers... I was reading children's books and comic strip books like Calvin and Hobbes.

The point is, it is still READING. Even a comic strip book like Calvin and Hobbes was most likely proofread and edited so that spelling would be correct. Someone just said it before me: reading at a young age is the deal breaker. I remember being asked to read to my kindergarten class while my teacher would take a break. Not trying to make myself feel important or better than anyone, that's just the way it was. I bet that most of the time while I was reading other kids were watching mind-numbing television shows and movies.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I might get flamed for saying this.

Here in Scotland, over the past 20 years there has been a change in the grammer used. To give an example the following sentence is correct english:

"He has gone to work"

Nowadays you will often hear the man in the street saying this instead:

"He has went to work"

Now this will sound a bit snobbish, but it only used to be "working class" that would use that terminology.

However these days one can hear it just about anywhere, even tv and radio commentators, teachers, and other professional people.

It has got to the stage where I am starting to believe that it's me who is wrong to use the original grammer and perhaps I should convert to this new grammer.

Havn't done so yet though.

Does it really matter ?

I don't know.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
its not like everyone have english as their primary language ... probably second or even third

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join