It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Members : Do You Honestly Find the Terms and Conditions That Difficult?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
To those members, both new and old, I have to honestly ask, do you find these that difficult?

Above Top Secret : Terms And Conditions Of Use

Because quite simply, I do not, and I do not deviate from them, ever.

They are our lifeline, within an International Forum, where conspiracy theories abound.

Where every single country who posts herein do not necessarily have Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Religion, or Freedom of Choice when it comes to politics.

Personally, I do not find them intolerable, I find them weak, only in regards to people getting away with far too much, because people need to know and learn civility.

As a member who has been here since 2005 I know how this site regards their members.

They love them, and want to keep them, both old and new members.

This is obvious, because they set up a unconditional standard, for everyone.

To maintain civility, decorum, and manners, among many continents.

When I refer to them as weak, by no means is this an attack of the credibility of this website, but it is my calling into question the behavior of those who cannot abide by the terms and conditions.

Prior to joining you have to see this plus ATS terms and conditions :

Quote from : Pre-Registration Window :

Register for AboveTopSecret.com and BelowTopSecret.com, and our email newsletters.

Members see fewer ads and have access to a wealth of perks and services such as upload space, blogs, webmail, custom features, contests, and more.

Please be aware that you are joining a tightly managed online social content community where civility and decorum are expected of our contributors. Additionally, please ensure you've reviewed our privacy policy and terms & conditions before you join. New members should be aware that a three-month probationary period applies to all new accounts. During this probationary period, any serious infractions of our Terms & Conditions may result in an immediate termination of your account.

By clicking the register button at bottom, you indicate you have read and understood our Terms & Conditions displayed below, and agree to abide by them as a member.

No, I am no Moderator, but personally, I find it distasteful when members do not read.

You signed up for this website, they have rules, you have to follow them, period.

I know policy, procedure, and protocol, because of a stepfathewr who was a Vietnam era Marine.

These terms and conditions are far easier than those I lived under until I left home.

Trust me.

Pretty simple, if you ask me, and while it is verbose, this is because of the nature of the website, and the membership within it, and those people they want to attract.

YOU!

ME!

Members Who Want To Learn The Truth!

Members Who Want To Collaborate In Uncovering Mysteries!

Members Who Want To Come Together, Not Tear Each Other Down!

While many people post herein, many people disagree with each other, over religion, politics, aliens, conspiracies, Bigfoot, military, Law Enforcement, you name it.

Guess what, I guarantee I will disagree with you, we are individuals, but I will agree to disagree, as long as you do not go into childish name-calling, insults, character assassination, because once you do, I will fall back to those terms and conditions.

Everyone on this websites deserves a fair shake, everyone, so let us post and have an interesting ride into the world that covers those conspiracy theories we all love to speak about, even though there are people on here who might disagree with you, or who might not see a conspiracy under every rock, they deserve a place here as well, because while this is a public website, it's ownership is private.

As members of ATS I wish everyone would understand what an opportunity you have, to speak with people all around the world, and uncover the many conspiracies, political scandals, and mysteries of the world, and come together from all corners of the world.

Quite literally, you have a unique opportunity, to do some deep digging, and understand.

You, as a memeber, can actually topple those hard to understand issues throughout the world.

Just so you know, I am an American, registered Independent, single (currently).

I know Aussie's both from ATS and off of ATS (I've been to Australia three times).

I know United Kingdom people both from ATS and off ATS.

I know Canadian people both from ATS and off ATS.

I know South African people because of ATS.

I know Irish people both from ATS and off ATS.

I know German people both from ATS and off ATS.

I know Russian people both from ATS and off ATS.

I know Japanese people both from ATS and off ATS.

You will notice one unifying thing besides the letters ATS, they are people.

People are people, and they appreciate kindness, courtesy, and decorum.

In my pre-post window I see a message.

Quote from : SKL's Pre-Post Window :

Above :
You are an experienced contributor to ATS.

Please be an example for our newer members and make every new thread matter.

Below :
Please do not post your own personal information.

You should be aware that any personally identifiable information you submit here can be read, collected, or used by other users of these forums, and could be used to send you unsolicited messages.

We are not responsible for the personally identifiable information you choose to submit, and may remove it at our discretion.

Trust me, even if those were not in there I would be following those principles.

As a new member, feel free to U2U any member of the staff, if they are online, or offline.

Trust me, even I still ask my way around, and all of the staff help you, when asked.

As a new member, feel free to send me a U2U if you need help.

Or visit my thread on how to make high-quality threads.

Making High-Quality Threads : Ask and I'll Point You In The Right Direction

As a member who has been here longer than one year, you should know your way around.

As an older member, feel free to U2U any member of the staff, if they are online, or offline.

As an older member, feel free to send me a U2U if you need help.

If you need help, because you do not understand a terms and or condition, ask.

If you need help, because you do not understand if what you are about to say might offend, ask.

Many of us members, post links, reference books, and or post other member work.

I am speaking on behalf of myself and no one asked me to create this thread.

However, ATS is all about each and every one of us, not just you or me.

Quote from : About AboveTopSecret.com

AboveTopSecret.com is the Internet's largest and most popular discussion board community dedicated to the intelligent exchange of ideas and debate on a wide range of "alternative topics" such as conspiracies, UFO's, paranormal, secret societies, political scandals, new world order, terrorism, and dozens of related topics with an impressive demographic mix of members.

With 188,009 members generating 8,288,890 posts of substance (minimal contributions are not allowed) that cover 540,630 topics in 161 different discussion forums, you could say "the truth is in here."

And new content, new ideas, new speculation, and new theories are being generating at an astounding pace with 454 members creating 58,161 new posts during the past seven days. Also, in that same time span, we welcomed 454 new members and enjoyed visits from 7,989 registered members as well as 711,021 guests.

With almost 200,000 members, I am here, to Deny Ignorance.

What about you?

Deny Ignorance.

Godsmack - Speak

[edit on 25-3-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

I agree with alot of what you said, and yes it is neat to be able to talk to people the world over, as well as maybe learning a thing or two about how we think thin gs are. It also gives me a chance sometimes to look at things from a perspective I may not have considered. That being said, I have found in my time here that the T&C seems to only apply to certain people and thoughts, at times. Usually I enjoy the threads I'm a part of, but there are times when it seems to me there is a little bit of the good old boy syndrome here as well. Not alot, but when I notice it, it's pretty glaring, just pointing out something I've noticed. The other thing that's a complaint of mine is the "That's Just Stupid Threads", I'm not really into UFO conspiracys....so I don't read them, no problem with them being here, I just don't read them, yet tact seems to go out the window on the anti rant threads. However there are countless threads about (insert topic here) being stupid, as well as the people that post there. There is no conspiracy there, just a member ranting, maybe they could open up a ranting board. Anywho...I really enjoy being here, and yeah T&C coulod be followed a little better, but it should start at the top.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   

You signed up for this website, they have rules, you have to follow them, period.

Not only is it easy to follow the rules, but they take the time and effort to educate everyone. Like when Skeptic starts a thread like the 'Pissed' thread. You will not see other web sites doing this. Taking time and resources to let their users better understand how to communicate and learn.

They take the content that we have to offer seriously and encourage the users to use their brains. I like that a lot. I see no problem with the T&C's my friend but lately there have been people that simply will not learn. It is a shame because in my opinion they are looking a gift horse in the mouth! Go figure.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Some really do find them hard to abide by.

Some of the debates and some of the agendas here on ATS get so heated there are those who think that skirting the T & C by just staying right on its line is the way to go to make their arguments and agendas.

Civility and manners are such a seldom seen thing any more and as always we all suffer as a result.

People just need to keep doing check ups from the neck up!

Always a good reminder star and flag.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I really don't care to read the Terms and Conditions of anything. Do you know how long I'd be sitting there everytime I'd install a program or sign up to various websites?

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

While I'm not sure specifically what you're speaking about with your good old boys comment, I assure you, usually I find that out in the real world.

Perhaps I am biased, because I came to ATS knowing they would have terms and conditions.

Seeing as I have been online since AOL was $3.50 an hour I know my way around.

The online environment.

But, thank you, nonetheless, for your post.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Actually in view of many recent conversations concerning this very topic, I consider it quite pertinent. The cards are on the table. There have been issues. I've noticed (I think?) since the last thread by the ATS-PTB, things seem to me to have gotten a little better, yes? maybe? I think So.

I absolutely have no problems with the terms and conditions. In fact, if ATS was not the ATS it is, I wouldn't come here. I don't care to fill my mind with a bunch of vile language, hate speech, and "gotcha you dumb piece of garbage" conversations. I would simply not enjoy it, and would vacate the premises quickly. Obviously I haven't and have no plans to do so.

Why? Because the topics can be very stimulating, and are presented in civil manners.

Now, what I HAVE on occasion had a problem with......is my own little temper, which I do regretfully have sometimes. I surely know how to use my keyboard, and the madder I get, the faster I type. Lol. So, I've learned to temper my temper, and everyone who remains here will need to do the same thing, or you simply won't be able to come play with us.
It's a get-over-yourself kind of thing.

And...if I may add. I really do tire of hearing people put down the moderators. They moderators here are super. SUPER. And I say that because it's true. Sounds like sucking up, so be it. It's absolutely true.

I admit the issues I've had have been of my own making. Frustration. Little temper, and I can admit it. If others could perhaps admit they create their own issues, and contribute to their own problems, then we might see some changes in attitude.

My thoughts are that perhaps the OP will open some eyes, and stimulate a little thought into why some don't like the T&C's.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I think the only thing I don't like is that insulting another member's intelligence or underminding them isn't considered an Extreme Violation, but swearing is.

All I know is that I'd prefer to be called a variety of names under the rainbow, but you can tell someone on here that they have zero intelligence or something and it's apparently fine.

Kinda sucks, because if I ever lose in an argument (if I get into one), I usually always try to gain the upper hand by insinuating that the opponent really likes fondling children.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

People just need to keep doing check ups from the neck up!

I think this sums up what took me several paragraphs to get out.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

In less words what I was trying to say was T&C applies to us all, including staff. That seems to get overlooked sometimes, as do some members conduct vs. others. It's just an observation I've made a couple of times, just my opinon, for what it's worth. As I said, i agree with what you posted, but T&C has to apply to everyone

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Thank you to everyone for your thoughts, whether you agreed or not.

I felt it time to say something because I love this website.

It is beginning to remind me of Monty Python from time to time.

Monty Python - Argument Clinic

link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu
I think the only thing I don't like is that insulting another member's intelligence or underminding them isn't considered an Extreme Violation, but swearing is.

All I know is that I'd prefer to be called a variety of names under the rainbow, but you can tell someone on here that they have zero intelligence or something and it's apparently fine.

Kinda sucks, because if I ever lose in an argument (if I get into one), I usually always try to gain the upper hand by insinuating that the opponent really likes fondling children.

Ahh, but I think the times they are a changin'.
(Bob Dylan, somewhere in time. Or was it Joan Baez? hm).

link   
Flagged...
and it is sad when there needs to be a constant reminder of this in an attempt to outweigh not only the actions by some members posts, but some outright threads attacking the T&C.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu
I really don't care to read the Terms and Conditions of anything. Do you know how long I'd be sitting there everytime I'd install a program or sign up to various websites?

Well, that's your prerogative of course. But I doubt you are the kind of person who goes around mocking everyone you speak to, calling people you don't know names, or devoid of common courtesy.

That you can be comfortable in the community and contribute without a precautionary thought is a clear sign of how reasonable the terms and conditions are.

In the normal course of events, assuming a member is civil and earnest, I would suspect they may never even need to consider the terms and conditions.

However, they are intentionally in place transparently, because we wish to keep things as rational, genuine, and informative as possible. When I was offered the opportunity to serve as a Moderator, I approached it with some caution, because some of those people who feel that the terms and conditions are a triviality are not like you. When confronted with the consequences of their behavior here, they are not mature enough to understand that while it affects them personally, it is not a personal thing.

Ultimately, you're conduct is all you have in any virtual environment to define who you really are. Some hide behind it. some revel in it, some are not really sure how to handle it. The terms and conditions of this website are an assurance of trust, and it is part of the ATS culture.

To put it succinctly; it's a good thing.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I can only agree with the OP and all the others who do.

It's a shame the rules are even nescesarry !

Flagged !

But... To expact any new member to follow the rules without mistaking and breaking them is a bit to much. ( accept for the civilised manners part of course )

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I don't understand why deleted posts are announced and shown.
What better way for a troll to show off and gain notoriety by having multiple massive Off Topic banners placed over his/her posts?

Why not just delete the entire post?

I hate going through a thread and see a post with a big red TC Violation banner, and yet 10 or more stars...

Edit to add:

"A law that everyone agrees with need not be written down and enforced"

[edit on 25-3-2010 by Conspiracy Pianist]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I don't find the T&C hard to follow. One of my most fun challenges is to disagree with someone and be really good friends with them (SKL)
Disagreement is exciting to me and a wonderful opportunity for challenge and education. Different points of view excite me.

I do understand it's hard for some to follow the T&C. But I have a pretty logical mind and it doesn't make sense to deviate from the stated rules. I'm a guest here and I appreciate it.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

I could not agree more with you.

The newer members need not worry that they will be hated, picked upon, or skewered.

My posting that was merely as a reminder, because we all occasionally need it.

See the below thread where other veteran members are calling for new members.

New To ATS? Your Opinion Matters Too! ( A Call To New Members)

...and...

Of course, there is ATS member loam and his thread for BB Code.

A Guide to BBCode on ATS

...and...

TrueAmerican's thread calling out to lurkers.

Lurkers: Are You Afraid to Sign Up To ATS? Don't Be.

Basically, there are far too many things we can do, access, and share with on ATS.

reply to post by Conspiracy Pianist

I believe those are left as a reminder of what will not be tolerated.

I can see your point but as well I believe ATS Administration has a formula.

While not everyone will obviously agree the staff does their best.

reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Obviously, we agree on that, and I do find it challenging to disagree.

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers : Into The Great Wide Open

You heartbreaker, you.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
You're such a whiner SKL!

How dare you ask that we follow this draconian, thought controlled, NSA, CIA, FBI, Illuminati, NWO and all of the skunk works folder kind of legislation?!

I really find it difficult to follow a easy to read, understand T&C that requires only that I treat people with the same respect that I expect from them in return.

A place where we have a community of best friends and very worthy adversaries?

You are all kinds of nutty today

~Keeper

[edit on 3/25/2010 by tothetenthpower]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join