It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homosexuality is a choice and nothing else!

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by makinho21
maybe you should read my opening line a few more times : I assume your definition of mutation is somehow negative. If that is not correct, I am sorry, but the way you presented your post is: here is one possible reality - gays are "mutations" - if they are not, it is simply their choice.

Again reading skills!

The below is a copy and paste of my OP

I am serious, if they are not homosexual by choice then please explain to me how that is not mutation.
No I am not calling homosexual mutants, if YOU say they do not make that choice then YOU are saying they are!

Reading skills

Again, what is the point of this thread then, if you neither take option A or B - the two options it seems you have deemed are the only variables in play.

So fine, you "AREN'T" calling them mutants, it is in fact myself, by declaring they did not choose to be gay.
I don't see how that is any different from what I said...that either way you have deemed it erroneous or faulty.

the only thing my 'reading skills' failed to miss - at first glance - is how utterly redundant and pointless your thread is.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

A CURE!!!!!!!!!! WOW
there is nothing to cure

Pedophilia, yes needs a cure its HARMING someone else.
Abusive people, yes cure it.
Rapists, yes cure it.
Greed, please cure it!
WAR, please cure it....

Homosexuality is not HARMING anyone, what two people want to do with each other is their choice, free willed, nothing forced.

... a cure.... sigh

LOL they are mutants! You do realize that's the allegory for the X-Men right?
That and being Jewish.

Do you think there should be a cure for S&M fetishes, should there be a cure for guys who like anal with women? Should there be a cure for girls who like to watch their man have sex with another person? A cure for freckles? Oh maybe a cure for black people, or a cure for Mexicans, or I know a cure for free will.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by demonseed
I am pro same sex marriage but i agree with the OP here.

Look at twins:

They have the same genes, yet make completely different "choices".

I think homosexuality is something that occurs due to social constructs and personal relationships.

But even identical twins have different fingerprints. They aren't genetic duplicates.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Angus123

2 guys i grew up with Mark and Alex. Identical twins.
Mark = Straightest dude ever.
Alex = trails glitter and pee's rainbows.

We knew as kids Alex was diff. He was always staying home with mom while Mark played war and football with us.

He and my friend who killed himself were close, but not like that.

When Alex came out years later we were all like... Oh well Duhhh! lol
Mark and Alex's older brother is openly bi now, we found out years later. You'd never think it, but he doesn't care.

One of the nicest things I have ever been told was that Alex respected me so much growing up because I never made fun of him and when he was having problems in school I gave him the best advice. (I was gothic so I knew what it was to be called a gay and messed with) I told him to "Always be proud, keep your head up and walk like you know exactly where your headed."

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Twins do not have the same exact genes they have similar genes, the rest is experience and viewpoints. And nature does make creatures that are not meant to reproduce, it's a mechanism for evolution, into something different. Look up all the creatures on this planet that can asexually reproduce. There are species of reptiles and birds that when there are no males in the habitat they reproduce by themselfs, and all other of crazy ways look up this word. Parthenogenesis. its a form of asexual reproduction. Nature is not a straight foward process its a mix and match, and whatever works to make things more efficient, type of thing. I mean look at birds there ancestor's were big reptiles. Humans are not above nature they are a part of it, only a more sophisticated animal there like ants and bees only more bigger and complex, there for the hives, reproduction, and languages are more complex.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Homosexuality is a choice and nothing else!

I am just a regular Joe like most here. I don't hold any special position in life except to survive. I have no political ambitions nor do I support any political party.

In fact, I really dislike politics as a whole.

My personal view on homosexuality, from both sides of the gender divide, is that it is likely akin to a disease or birth defect. The difference between this and say... genetic by any name or any other, is that we choose to see it as being a natural state.

Nature does not purposely build creatures that cannot... or prefer not to partake in its continuance of survival. We must therefore assume that homosexuality is a birth defect or that nature may be seeking to reduce the numbers of said species by turning out those who will not reproduce by choice.

I think the current stigmas we have paced on the gay community are akin to those we once attached to lepers and even today pin on smokers.

Sexual preference is not something we can toy with... it comes pre-installed at birth.

If anything, maybe we should be seeking the causes and maybe a cure.

Well, if you include other behaviors such as handedness or right/left brain in the same "defect/disease", then I don't think you'll offend, but preference based behavior is no more a defect than skin tone/hair color/freckle spacing. There's a REASON we prefer certain things and the majority of the reasoning behind it is genetically based. A compulsion even. There is a universal negative connotation to disease or defect though and it should be avoided if you want to avoid conflict on this particular subject.

I wouldn't say that being drawn to a particular gender is a choice, but it's very likely a preference. For some people that preference is so strong that it's a compulsion. I'd be curious to see the research on bisexual behavior to see what kind of gene dispersion are in those groups of people.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

identical - monozygotic - twins do have the exact same genes. They both come from one egg.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
28 pages (?!)

I feel I have to keep dipping in, for a peek and thought (perhaps naively) that the OP's question had been answered, ALREADY...countless times, so far.

Now, the thread has become noisome.

There have been plenty of perspectives offered (mine to be included) to show that Human sexuality is NOT a "choice"....in terms of gender attraction, and all that that entails, at least.

How blunt does one need to be, in order to explain?

It has already been accomplished, in this thread --- the explanations have, in many respects, been spot-on.

OP? 'homosexuality' is NOT a "choice". PERIOD.

If a man, who is homosexual, sees physical attributes of another man, and finds an arousal factor BECAUSE of those attributes, then it is NOT A CHOICE!!!

Just as, when any 'straight' person is attracted (for whatever reason) to various aspects of the other sex, it is NOT A CHOICE!!!

It simply IS....

SEX, for Humans, is far more complicated than just "male/female", or "male/male", or "female/female"....OR...."male/male/female", or "female/female/male"....or any iteration, or number of partners you wish to imagine....up to and to include an "orgy" scenario.....

This is not going well, these explanations, because those who can't be inside others' heads, and can't share feelings and impulses just won't get it...

The problem (and I think, the core misunderstanding that confuses the OP) is this:

Gay people CAN "choose" to try to 'fit in', because of various social pressures. THIS, by denying who, and WHAT they truly are, and WHAT they truly wish, in terms of sexual partners to be competely satisfied, and happy in life...

These (usually, again due to societal pressures, if THEY let them have influence) are self-loathing individuals, who are mired within the "mores" of what the 'society' they reside within dictate.

UNDER THOSE CONDITIONS, these tortured individuals can "choose" to be 'straight'...just to "fit in"....SO, the OP needs to be inverted, because in reality, the true "lies" are the reverse of what the OP has perceived, and proposed, in this thread.

Words fail me....one needs to walk a few thousand miles in MY shoes, in order to comprehend....AND, not widhing to appear a "martyr" here....because, compared to many, many others, I had it quite easy.

I had NO PROBLEM accepting myself, for who I am.

I implore any iof those who happen to read this, to feel empowered, as well. Do NOT allow any artificially perceived social "mores" influence your personal opinion of your self, or your perceived "self-worth".

There have been FAR TOO MANY suicides (heavily weighted towards those in their teen years) to allow this sort of self-loathing, society-driven mindset to perpetuate.

ANYONE reading this who may be struggling with these issues; there ARE people who will help you deal, even IF you think your parents have turned away, or you think you have no friends who you can confide in.

The INTERNET is full of resources, please search, and don't despair.....

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I am not sexually responsive to both sexes

are you sure? how do you know?

is it possible that you are attracted to both - but have chosen to behave as if you prefer one over the other?

edit to add: I understand that there's a tone going on in here. Also - I am very late joining in on this one

my questions are sincere - I'm really interested to know - how do you know?

[edit on 4/1/2010 by Spiramirabilis]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by makinho21

That is true but also false there are different types of twins same sperm one egg, two sperms one egg. There are veriations same gender twins, one male one female etc, but they are twins. And also even if they have the exact same DNA different body's interpit that differently during the growth stage embryo to fetus to baby to toddler to tenager etc, it's not an exact science its like giving two people the same blueprint to build a house there house will be similar but not the same, well this analogy is simple because the human genome is way more complex.

So you are right in that they came from the same stuff, but on a level were all made and came from the same stuff. Atoms and stuff. It's like saying were all made of atoms so were all the same, it's true and false at the same time.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Yes I did chose to be hetero! People are not born homosexual, many homosexuals have relationships with women and only after then chosing men instead.

Well, I didn't make that choice. I didn't choose to be heterosexual. According to a lot of reactions here, I'd say you're pretty much on your own in that area.
The second thing you mention is often not by choice, but by religious or cultural pressure.
I have an uncle who is gay. He's 73 now but in his young days you were not supposed to be gay, clear and simple. Picture the challenges this poor guy had to face. His mother was a christian religious freak and she claimed that he had the 'demon of homosexulaity' in him. So all believers went on their praying knees and what do you know.... the demon fled for the amazing powers of the good lord. My uncles was free from his 'sinful nature'. NOT! But since that is what people expected of him, he did the 'right thing' and married a woman. After 15 years of denial, he finally couldn't take it anymore. He confessed his wife he was homosexual. He found a new partner after quite some time and has been with that man ever since. His ex-wife and he remain very good friends, she was able to understand his ordeal.
Does any of this sound like 'choosing to be homosexual' to you?
I think it is a tragedy. It is unbelievable that people have to hide their true nature like that and are even accused of being evil, or possessed. It takes a sick and twisted mind to think like that.

[edit on 2-4-2010 by Gwynniver]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gwynniver

Yes I did chose to be hetero! People are not born homosexual, many homosexuals have relationships with women and only after then chosing men instead.

Well, I didn't make that choice. I didn't choose to be heterosexual. According to a lot of reactions here, I'd say you're pretty much on your own in that area.
The second thing you mention is often not by choice, but by religious or cultural pressure.
I have an uncle who is gay. He's 73 now but in his young days you were not supposed to be gay, clear and simple. Picture the challenges this poor guy had to face. His mother was a christian religious freak and she claimed that he had the 'demon of homosexulaity' in him. So all believers went on their praying knees and what do you know.... the demon fled for the amazing powers of the good lord. My uncles was free from his 'sinful nature'. NOT! But since that is what people expected of him, he did the 'right thing' and married a woman. After 15 years of denial, he finally couldn't take it anymore. He confessed his wife he was homosexual. He found a new partner after quite some time and has been with that man ever since. His ex-wife and he remain very good friends, she was able to understand his ordeal.
Does any of this sound like 'choosing to be homosexual' to you?
I think it is a tragedy. It is unbelievable that people have to hide their true nature like that and are even accused of being evil, or possessed. It takes a sick and twisted mind to think like that.

[edit on 2-4-2010 by Gwynniver]

He is on his own. I have never met anyone who said they "chose" to fall in love, or "chose" to be attracted to another person. That just sounds odd!

But, as i have seen so many times before, you will not change there opinion. Thats it, its stuck with him.

What i dont understand is this. If he believes we all choose to fall in love, or be attracted to someone, then why didn't he start a thread about that, instead of making it a gay thing, because he clearly believes this involves everyone, and not just gay people. Thats what i cant get my head around.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-morris
He is on his own. I have never met anyone who said they "chose" to fall in love, or "chose" to be attracted to another person. That just sounds odd!

But, as i have seen so many times before, you will not change there opinion. Thats it, its stuck with him.

What i dont understand is this. If he believes we all choose to fall in love, or be attracted to someone, then why didn't he start a thread about that, instead of making it a gay thing, because he clearly believes this involves everyone, and not just gay people. Thats what i cant get my head around.

Maybe she genuinely wants to help (us) gay/bisex etc. ppl. to make a 'better choice' as we have made a crappy choice sometime during our life - when we were very young and stupid and just too stubborn to make a new choice to make it all better.

Or maybe she DOES have a slight issue with ppl being gay. Either religious or something else. (Would be my guess at this time).

Once again the situation is the same as being bisexual (like I seem to be, thou I do seem to prefer guys more and more, the older I get.. Either I'm coming out very slowly and more honest to myself/others or the sex part just isn't so important and I actually prefer the way men think, act and feel - who knows..) Anyways, as much as it's not a choice for bisexuals either, as you can't CHOOSE who you get attracted to. You only can choose to NOT act upon it, but so do the straight ppl. But straight ppl can't decide any more than we do, if they get attracted or not. (Well, that's what I think and most of the ppl I know.)

You can also CHOOSE to NOT SPEND TIME with someone if you are attracted in order to 'prevent yourself falling in love' but it's NOT A CHOICE that you made about falling in love. It's a choice about not wanting to give it a chance at all. As if you DO spend your time and it was going to happen, it WILL happen, no matter what you CHOOSE or hope - and we all know this.

I think a million times a day someone falls in love for a "wrong" fellow human being.. and I'm sure most of them would not want that to happen, as love can really ***k up your mind and life.

In my humble opinion, you CAN CHOOSE to pretend and force yourself to act like you like/love someone. And for various reasons, you can do that till the very day you die (which is the sad part here). You can also CHOOSE to prevent yourself from falling in love by some artificial means, like refusing to see someone. But it has so little to do with the original question - do we fall in love or get attracted because of the genes, environmental factors or by a (bad) choice? My personal guess at this moment is, it's a combination of genes, environment and stuff that I define spiritual (something in your so called soul). And the only thing making it 'bad' is the way many of the people treat you if you have this combination.

And please do not forget, in the end it's about LOVE.. we talk about sex, (physical?) attraction and stuff like that. But in homosexuals, there are also a-sexual ppl who enjoy deep, loving relationships which are completely/mostly platonic. But in that case they don't go for a sex with the opposite gender either. For most of the ppl, if you LOVE someone you want to express and share it also in a physical way.. I find it disgusting to even think that I would deny someone the joy of expressing their mutual feelings with physical means.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Well, this thread died! lol

Think the OP realised he made a mistake on making this thread.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-morris

it was pretty apparent from the start this thread was about as useful as headphones for the deaf.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Perhaps he is busy packing for Spring Break Straight camp.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

Perhaps he is busy packing for Spring Break Straight camp.

He has just given up on the thread. He has posted on other threads, but is leaving this one well alone. People like this annoy me. He says he wants a disscussion, then when he realises he is wrong, he just leaves it!

Im still deciding if he was secretly anti gay, but made this thread so it did not look too obvious.

Put it this way, if i believed that us, as human beings chose who we were attracted to, and loved, then i would have started a thread with the title " who you love is a choice" something like that. Why did he make it a gay thing if he believed it happens to all humans?

I wish he did not give up on this thread, or at least hold his hands up and say he was wrong, but these people never admit they were wrong, and i said that to him in a past message i think. They would rather just forget the thread and move onto something else.

Its a sad, backward world we live in, that is true, and when people come on here with there crap, then people should shoot them down. I showed my brother this thread ( he is gay ) he was annoyed at the OP's backward thinking, but he is used to it now.

Anyways, im off now to choose someone to fall in love with. Im not picky, so, should take about 5 mins to fall madly in love with some girl! Falling in love is so easy! when you can choose! lol

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

He has just given up on the thread. He has posted on other threads, but is leaving this one well alone. People like this annoy me. He says he wants a disscussion, then when he realises he is wrong, he just leaves it!

Calm down...
I'm still here
If you look at my thread history, Breaking Alternatives is my focal section
I just tend to post there more.
This section is relatively new to me
Habit I guess.

Im still deciding if he was secretly anti gay, but made this thread so it did not look too obvious.

Wondering without a foundation will make you fall

Put it this way, if i believed that us, as human beings chose who we were attracted to, and loved, then i would have started a thread with the title " who you love is a choice" something like that. Why did he make it a gay thing if he believed it happens to all humans?

Ummmmmmm
Maybe because that's not the topic of the thread
What you suggested as a thread title is COMPLETELY another topic

I wish he did not give up on this thread, or at least hold his hands up and say he was wrong, but these people never admit they were wrong, and i said that to him in a past message i think. They would rather just forget the thread and move onto something else.

"These people"
Please more information on that
In which group are you categorizing me in?

Its a sad, backward world we live in, that is true, and when people come on here with there crap, then people should shoot them down. I showed my brother this thread ( he is gay ) he was annoyed at the OP's backward thinking, but he is used to it now.

Allow your brother to post here then
Tell him to make his own username and post please
I request you

There is no backward thinking here

Anyways, im off now to choose someone to fall in love with. Im not picky, so, should take about 5 mins to fall madly in love with some girl! Falling in love is so easy! when you can choose! lol

NOW THAT..... Is backwards!
I posted many comments against love being natural saying that it doens't happen just like that, there is no love at first sight hence the fallacy in love is simply about impulsive attraction a.k.a "there is no choice".

I'm here
I'm not gone anywhere!

Current events is just my biggest interest that's all
I'm here though

Thx

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Ummmmmmm
Maybe because that's not the topic of the thread
What you suggested as a thread title is COMPLETELY another topic

I dont see your logic in this. If you think the whole human race, then why start a thread involving gay people, that does not make sense.

Even if you take out love at first sight, which i dont believe in anyway, you still have love, am i right? And you dont choose to love someone, it just happens. Like you love your mum and dad, nothing will stop you loving your mum and dad.

My brother does not have to post on here. Why should he?

[edit on 4-4-2010 by Jay-morris]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I dont see your logic in this. If you think the whole human race, then why start a thread involving gay people, that does not make sense.

I am taking a modular approach to the topic

And I do not agree with those that say that it is choice
It is wrong to say that

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join