It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homosexuality is a choice and nothing else!

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sounds_of_Silence
I agree, it is a choice, just like some people remain single for the whole of there lives or whether or not couples decide to have children, it all comes down to choice. I also hate it how gay men are so much more open about there sexuality than straight men, very obvious...

On another note, gays shouldn't be able to adopt children or get married, these are the rights that have been reserved for a man and a woman. Anyone who says any differently is...

Obvious troll is obvious. And bigoted. And in desperate need of a brain to fingers filter.

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
Why do anyone even care? What is it about homosexuals that bother you so much?

Can you or can you not make the choice? A simple question.

If you can choose, then that makes you a bisexual.

Many ATS members and I have provided evidence and proofs over and over and over and over and over again in 1000's of threads and yet you still do not listen. Why?

Something is wrong here.

Like a poster so succinctly explained it, if you are able to choose, that makes YOU a BISEXUAL.

Do some research please buddy. Is it genetic? Is it environmental? Is it because of the family? Is it (insert your favorite biased observation)? The end result? IT'S NOT A CHOICE! It doesn't matter!

Please QUIT this BS okay?

Can you or can you not choose to be attracted to anyone?

Many posters in this thread has provided you with excellent answers. Please read them carefully. Quit dodging them or creating straw men. Read them carefully.

Please?

What the hell are you on about comparing homosexuals with murderers? Do you realize that doing so you are comparing heterosexuals with murderers as well? LOGIC FAIL.

I give up. My rant ends before it gets worse.

This. 1000x this.

One can choose how to act, one cannot choose who they are attracted to. All comments and opinions debating this are invalid. And very very offensive.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I dislike long threads and so perhaps someone has posted this info but here goes.

Many years ago, Dear Abby (or was it Abigail Van Buren?) posted a note to her readers about homosexuality. She too thought it was a choice or that it was the "environment" or something along those lines but after receiving many, many letters from homosexuals she came to the conclusion that it must be genetic (or DNA or in their blood, etc.)

She came to this conclusion because these letter writers had brothers and sisters that were not homosexuals; they had no experience with being molested (which might push them to the other side); and many really didn't want the feelings for the same-sex that they had.

So after receiving all of these letters over the course of many years, Dear Abby concluded that homosexuals were born that way.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

I have a question for you.

Do you talk about suppressing ones feelings and emotions.
or do you mean to ascend feelings and emotions ?

I believe both results in denying being human.
Emotions and feelings are what makes life interesting and if I look at Spock, he does not really smile a lot ( star trek).

I just learned a simple smile can make you live longer.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Why is this post even relevant? Who gives a damn what someones sexuality is, unless YOU have a problem with it, and is it really anything to do with you at all how someone is sexually orientated?
This is what the media do to distract from other important issues in the world, smoke and mirrors with mediocrity, it just trivial rubbish, do gay animals make a choice?
Before you ask, no I am not gay and do not find my same sex in anyway attractive, live and let live and enjoy the spice of life...nuff said.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I'd compare homosexuality as being a 'choice' to be like saying hair colour is a 'choice'-Sure I could dye my brown hair to red..but let's face it- In the end the red is fake, not the real me, and the brown is still underneath it all.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Homosexuality is romantic or sexual attraction or behavior among members of the same sex. As a sexual orientation, homosexuality refers to "an enduring pattern of or disposition to experience sexual, affectional, or romantic attractions primarily to" people of the same sex; "it also refers to an individual’s sense of personal and social identity based on those attractions, behaviors expressing them, and membership in a community of others who share them.

Homosexuality is one of the three main categories of sexual orientation, along with bisexuality and heterosexuality, within the heterosexual-homosexual continuum. Currently the most common adjectives in use are lesbian for women and gay for men, though gay can refer to either men or women. The number of people who identify as gay or lesbian — and the proportion of people who have same-sex sexual experiences — are difficult for researchers to estimate reliably for a variety of reasons. In the modern West, major studies indicate a prevalence of 2% to 13% of the population. A 2006 study suggested that 20% of the population anonymously reported some homosexual feelings, although relatively few participants in the study identified themselves as homosexual.Homosexuality is also widely encountered in the animal kingdom.

Homosexual relationships and acts have been admired as well as condemned throughout recorded history, depending on the form they took and the culture in which they occurred. Since the end of the 1800s, there has been a movement towards increased visibility, recognition and legal rights for homosexual people, including the rights to marriage and civil unions, adoption and parenting, employment, military service, and equal access to health care.

The explanation for why some people are homosexual are, like the bases of sexual orientation in general, still poorly understood, and attempts to understand it have been somewhat hampered historically by misinformation and prejudice, such as the once widely held view that homosexuality is a negative thing, and either the product of abnormal environmental influences, or an immoral "choice". The now longstanding consensus of the behavioral and social sciences and the health and mental health professions is that homosexuality per se is an example of normal and positive variation in human sexual orientation. The current literature and most scholars in the field state that one’s sexual orientation is not a choice; that is, individuals do not choose to be homosexual or heterosexual. There is, moreover, no scientific evidence that parenting, sexual abuse, other adverse life events, or early childhood experiences influence sexual orientation. Historically, efforts to change sexual orientation were fruitless or damaging, and because the professional consensus is that homosexuality is an expression of normal human variation, then the possibility and need for change is seen as unwarranted. None have sanctioned efforts to change sexual orientation and most have policy statements, directed at professionals and the public, advising caution in relation to treatments claiming to change sexual orientation.

[edit on 27-3-2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Welcome FortAnthem and ModernAcadamenia to being the first on my foe list. Both of you have started many threads attacking groups of people and then claim you are only out to promote intelligent discussion with biggoted comments. Enough is enough and while you may be on my foe list, you are still far from being "respected" foes

Is this because I think Global Warming is a load of bunk?

[edit on 3/27/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

So this topic can never be brought up...... EVER?

There is no more point in discussing it than in discussing whether or not the sun rises in the West. It's established that it rises elsewhere, and only someone in neurotic denial would even feel the need to discuss where the sun rises.

And if someone ever does then... it's only for attention.... forever?

If only.

Unfortunately, it's often because the person bringing it up so hates the truth that they have made up their mind to promote a lie.

reply to post by FortAnthem

Probably. After all, the two opinions derive from the same mindset: refusing to face facts because they don't conform to one's ill-informed expectations.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

Obviously I've pushed your buttons, but it's true, it's unnatural, why can't gay people produce off-spring, why do they need a 3rd party to assist them in having children?, because it isn't normal? is it? Didn't think so. It won't be normal, kids shouldn't be brought up in a gay household. Also, who cares if there attracted to something, doesn't mean you have to seek it out. Also, Bi-Sexuals are on the same page as gays, even sicker if you ask me, would you tell a female partner that you enjoy the company of men also...your sick for defending this.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Does it really matter if it is a choice or genetic? The outcome should still be the same.. let them make their decision, if it is one. Why is it mine or your business at all?

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Transcending.

You could say it is transcending your humanity.

Live long and prosper

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

reply to post by cjcord

Obviously I've pushed your buttons, but it's true, it's unnatural, why can't gay people produce off-spring, why do they need a 3rd party to assist them in having children?, because it isn't normal? is it? Didn't think so. It won't be normal, kids shouldn't be brought up in a gay household. Also, who cares if there attracted to something, doesn't mean you have to seek it out. Also, Bi-Sexuals are on the same page as gays, even sicker if you ask me, would you tell a female partner that you enjoy the company of men also...your sick for defending this.

You do know that everything you have been raised to believe is normal is just a social construct right? Meaning it's all made up. What is 'norm' changes through out cultures and time. Nothing humans do is really 'natural'. It wasn't too long ago that males had the right to kill their children when they found out they were from a different man or if they thought the child was just unlucky. They thought that males owning everything was a natural way to live too. Everything is a social construct...There are tons of different kinds of homes out there and different cultures to explore. This ideal you have of a mother and father living in the same home is not the norm for everyone. There are different ways to live so I'm unsure where you get that it is the 'way'. The culture you are in has a norm-but it isn't natural it's made up.

Do you know that science and psychology has studied homosexual families and found absolutely no significant difference in the children? In fact, they found children within straight homes to have more psychological problems than did homosexual families. See page 140 books.google.ca... U#v=onepage&q=homosexual%20families%20psychology&f=false

[edit on 28-3-2010 by Zerra]

[edit on 28-3-2010 by Zerra]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Why is this crap still going on?

I'm guilty as much as the next guy for posting a thread about the topic, but this is just devolving into a convoluted mess.

You aren't going to convince anybody that gays are good if they think they are bad and vice versa.

You are all just banging your heads against a brick wall.

People are people are people.

Were just human.

A squirrel in the tree is he watching me
Does he give a damn?
Does he care who I am?
I'm just a man, is that all I am
Are my manners misinterpreted words or only human? I'm human

Murderous crow, hey what you know
What you reading about, what you hold in your toes
Is that a twig, are you a dove of peace
A black dove undercover, with another puzzle piece
Are you a riddle to solve all along?
Or am I over thinking thoughts of human after all

Only human
Made of flesh, made of sand, made of you and me
The planet's talking about a revolution
The natural laws ain't got no constitution
They've got a right to live their own life
But we keep paving over paradise

'Cause we're only human
Yes we are, only human
If it's our only excuse do you think
we'll keep on being only human
Yes we are, yes we are
Only human, only human, only human So far:

Up in the major's tree, the one he planted
back when he was just a boy
Thinking 1923
Thirty meters and a foot, take a look, take a climb
What you'll find is the product of a seed
The seed is sown, all alone
It grows above, with a heart of love
Sharp and shelter of the animals of land
and cold weather breathing
We're all breathing in

The planet's talking about a revolution
The natural laws ain't got no constitution
They've got a right to live their own life
But we keep paving over paradise

'Cause we're only human
Yes we are, only human
If it's our only excuse do you think
we'll keep on being only human
Yes we are, only human, only human, so far, so far

And this place it will outlive me
Before I get to heaven I'll climb that tree
And I will have to give my thanks
For giving me the branch to swing on
If I ever fall in love
I'll have to give myself a baby
I will let my children have their way

'Cause we're only human, yes we are
Only human, so far, so far

Source

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

reply to post by cjcord

You look like one that could answer my question- again.. natural or not.. genetic or choice.. why does it matter? how does it affect you?

is it natural for one to pick their nose and eat what's in it? I dunno, but as long as they don't wipe it on my shirt.. it's none of my business. same rules apply..

this is why the world is the way it is today.. we cannot live and let live.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Actually I feel that homosexuality begins as an urge and then blossoms inpo a lifestyle. But Isn't that the same as heterosexuality. I know that some people invoke DNA to justify it but the proof is controversial at present. I do wonder about the chemical soup that we are exposed to. However this implies a syndrome or some kind of illness. To be honest I don't know why people are gay but I have no problem with them as a group of people. I just wish people just leave them to live thier life as god (who made us ALL) intended without the hatred and bigotry.

But why is it all such a big deal?? What is behind this OP??

[edit on 28-3-2010 by Tiger5]

[edit on 28-3-2010 by Tiger5]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
Look buddy.

Can you or can you not make the choice to be gay or straight?

A very simple question.

A good way of phrasing things: ultimately if being gay is a choice, then so is being straight!!!
Therefore, being hetero is not a self-evident, "God-ordained" point of normality, it is simply one choice that people make for mythological, contingent and other reasons of social pressure. How else could people choose to be gay if that choice was not possible for all? So the people who argue this are in a paradox, which undermines their own hetero-normative position.
What they then use are further dodgy arguments that homosexuality is the "wrong choice", and they use HIV, pedophilia and even serial killers attached to homosexual cases - but that finger points right back, because none of these tragedies are linked to gay people exclusively. In fact, in southern Africa HIV/AIDS is a heterosexual epidemic.

By the "choice argument" (which always points back to religion and an Adam and Eve creationism as "natural", despite the polygamy of the OT) one can say OK, so all sexuality is a choice. But then the world is overpopulated and running short of resources, so stop choosing rampant heterosexuality and irresponsible breeding, and settling down in a gay relationship instead is a better choice. Stop harming the planet and our future, and choose an egalitarian gay marriage. Stop rampant procreation and choose a gay relationship that can adopt all the orphans.
Common heterosexualists - stop making such wicked choices, and rather go gay. Hey, it's just a choice.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by weedwhacker
In any case, I find your OP a bit offensive, at first glance. Hope you merely wished to get attention, and flags, and decided to stir things a little to see what happened.

Before I respond to anyone or anything else I want to as you one thing.

If I have an opinion on a topic that I would like to see discussed because I enjoy discussions and maybe even shed some light to my own views it means I wanted attention and wanted to stir things?

You are simply trying to derail the thread with impulsive over-emotional reactions. This is absolutely not what I wanted in this thread, please keep them at the door. I want a civlized discussion and NOT one being oppressed by your fears of such a discussion.

It's 2010!!!!!!!!!

How can you not expect negotive responces when you are a negotive thinker. You should have said My opinion is... Your way of thinking is pompous. My mothers brother told her he knew he liked boys when he was just seven years old and this was in the 1940's. Studies have shown that the chromosomes in males can have more female estrogen in which can be born gay. I suggest you do your homework and read before you post. Why would a gay person choose to be gay and risk haters like you. Gay individuals have been killed over this because of thier sexual preferances. So in that this is not a choice. If you would like to try and I say try to educate yourself here is a link that will explain. In this day and age of "advanced" knowledge, when human science has mapped out the entirety of the human body's genetic makeup, it is disheartening to hear people spout nonsense and then claim it is only their personal views and moral code talking.
"It doesn't really matter why people are gay.... What's really important is how they're treated."
To be honest to all readers this topic was posted by the op to anger and seek attention not educate.
www.peele.net...

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

this post is ridiculous. i personally don't think that it's a choice and to even seriously consider that anyone could consider gay people to be mutants is a gross misinterpretation and borderline insulting. look at it like this: being gay is "sexual preference". the key to this is that it's preference for something, not a third thumb. a related example in another aspect of life (admittedly this example is quite trivial) is my favorite food, tacos. i never actively weighed the pros and cons of having tacos as my favorite food, or food of PREFERENCE, that is just what my taste buds found to be most to their liking. also as it has been mentioned already, homosexuality occurs naturally in many other parts of the animal kingdom, so again it is ridiculous to me that anyone would consider it a mutation with a straight face.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by misterhype

this post is ridiculous. i personally don't think that it's a choice and to even seriously consider that anyone could consider gay people to be mutants is a gross misinterpretation and borderline insulting. look at it like this: being gay is "sexual preference". the key to this is that it's preference for something, not a third thumb. a related example in another aspect of life (admittedly this example is quite trivial) is my favorite food, tacos. i never actively weighed the pros and cons of having tacos as my favorite food, or food of PREFERENCE, that is just what my taste buds found to be most to their liking. also as it has been mentioned already, homosexuality occurs naturally in many other parts of the animal kingdom, so again it is ridiculous to me that anyone would consider it a mutation with a straight face.

Right on Misterhype!! Could have said it better myself but of course you know the OP was just needing attention and well they got it.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Humans are still such a primitive race, and you can see this just by reading this thread!

Lets put it this way. I have one brother and three sisters. My brother is gay, and so is one of my sisters. In fact, on my mums side of the family, there are quite a few gay people. My mums sister is gay, and two of her six brothers. I am 100% convinced that gays run in the familY, and because i am not gay, that does not mean my son will not be. It is not a choice. My brother went through hell, and even thought about taking his life. He lost most of his friends, and had to move away and start again. My sister is ok because it seems to be easier for gay women.

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join