It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homosexuality is a choice and nothing else!

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I'm straight, but being gay or bisexual is certainly not something you just up and choose to be, "hmmm yes i want to be a homosexual today!" Lol. Why do you think so many gays, bi's or whatever have such a hard time keeping it from/telling their families, & friends? Sad to be ashamed of something you have no control over, & its simply the way you are. Its pretty obvious its not choice & stupid to think that. They are gay because of the same reason i'm straight. I did not choose to be attracted to women, but sure enough I am. Its a normal occurance in lots of people to be gay, & heard somewhere that 2 out of 10 guys&girls are Bisexual, or have considered relations with a same sex.

The REAL question is....what the he// is up with Trans-sexuals? or really manly lesbians?, or over the top, flamboyant, feminine guys?

Thats what i do not understand. Sure does not seem normal, or natural to be so upset with the body parts "god" gave you & get a freakin sex change

Let alone the common 2 gay guys scenario, in which why does one feel the need to be so feminine, be the women of the relationship, or better yet why is the regular gay guy attracted to a drag? If you want a woman, get one! lol. But a fake"lady" with male genitals....ermm huh...?? If your gay dosent that mean you DONT like women in the firstplace?
Works the same with 2 lesbians, were one is the "guy"

Is that a choice, or some deeper mental instability?

There are lots of same sex couples who act normal without all the dress up, or fem/manly personality. Basically trying to be something they arent.

Someone enlighten me plz

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
From a programming perspective...
At a certain point in the development of the fetus, the code for the hardware (family jewels) gets chosen. Now if for some reason there is a glitch when the code is running that sets the software (hormones) in motion, you can get a person who has the hardware for a Male but the software for a Female... and vice versa. This would account for those who are "born that way".

There is also the matter of choice. I'd bet that most people who are incarcerated are not gay when they go in, but make a choice to engage in that activity once the lack of an alternative is clear.

The gals I have known who became bi or lesbians did so because they were not finding male suitors who were meeting all of their emotional needs. I would expect that there are also cases in which men found the same to be true.

So I think both camps, born vs. decided, are correct.

As far as it possibly being a mutation of the genetic code.. well, why not... since we ARE still beings produced from genetic code and get other mutations such as downs syndrome or MS.

I think the important thing is not to judge or flame people who are different. Just be happy that you are you and not them.
=)

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Well I have been following this thread from the start and I feel disgusted.

Lets assume for a moment. the majority thinks homosexuality is a disease. How many of you would be actively trying to cure or banning gayes from society ?

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_smoke_alot420
I'm straight, but being gay or bisexual is certainly not something you just up and choose to be, "hmmm yes i want to be a homosexual today!" Lol. Why do you think so many gays, bi's or whatever have such a hard time keeping it from/telling their families, & friends?

Ummm maybe they don't find it hard because they have no control over it, maybe they find it hard because it's not accepted that much by society.

Many might find it awkward to tell family or friends.
probably many fear losing friends even

Its pretty obvious its not choice & stupid to think that. They are gay because of the same reason i'm straight. I did not choose to be attracted to women, but sure enough I am. Its a normal occurance in lots of people to be gay, & heard somewhere that 2 out of 10 guys&girls are Bisexual, or have considered relations with a same sex.

Yes the number of bisexuals are increasing, I agree with that
But you did chose women instead of men
just like you chose not to like men over women

The REAL question is....what the he// is up with Trans-sexuals? or really manly lesbians?, or over the top, flamboyant, feminine guys?

I don't know but i've wondered myself

Let alone the common 2 gay guys scenario, in which why does one feel the need to be so feminine, be the women of the relationship,

This is something I wanted to say too but... I knew I would get flamed for such a thread way more than this one.

It's very conversation-worthy though.

Is that a choice, or some deeper mental instability?

Perhaps it's a new category not discussed in this thread yet

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
Well I have been following this thread from the start and I feel disgusted.

Lets assume for a moment. the majority thinks homosexuality is a disease. How many of you would be actively trying to cure or banning gayes from society ?

That's nowhere near the topic of this thread
please stay on topic

You want someone to take that direction in this thread so you could be more disgusted?

stop it

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngelFlanked1
From a programming perspective...
At a certain point in the development of the fetus, the code for the hardware (family jewels) gets chosen. Now if for some reason there is a glitch when the code is running that sets the software (hormones) in motion, you can get a person who has the hardware for a Male but the software for a Female

firstly computers don't make mistakes, users do
and the code for the hardware is an executable, no glitches
it's hard-coded!

There is also the matter of choice. I'd bet that most people who are incarcerated are not gay when they go in, but make a choice to engage in that activity once the lack of an alternative is clear.

Yes this is true
I agree

The gals I have known who became bi or lesbians did so because they were not finding male suitors who were meeting all of their emotional needs. I would expect that there are also cases in which men found the same to be true.

Right, and again this is choice

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
No it's NOT a choice.

Just look at the republican politician (forgot which state) who always spoke out against gays, and that being gay is a choice...and now it turns out he's gay himself. I doubt he CHOSE to be gay...nature got the better of him and he simply was gay all along and just suppressing who he really was.

But for the sake of argument, even if it were a choice (and you can't know whether or not that's the case)...so what? If it makes them happy, cool. They're not hurting anyone. If you judge them because of it, you have to accept that others have the same right judging you for being Christian/Muslim/coloring your hair blue/having a piercing and so on.

Attraction is not a choice, why else are people falling for certain "types" of women/men? You don't CHOSE who you're attracted to!

[edit on 26-3-2010 by MrXYZ]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I tried to read as much of the thread as possible before replying (13+ pages of seperatist rubbish peppered with a few sane voices here and there made that rather difficult) and apart from exasperation at the ridiculous levels of intolerance from both sides of the fence I feel I need to make one distinction; choice is most definitely involved but it's not as cut and dry as the OP chooses to make out.

Engaging in the act of love is always a choice you make. Do it or not do it? Your choice. However being attracted to anything is completely out of your control. I love women in stilletto shoes, they could be at the complete opposite end of my attractiveness-scale but whack some stillettos on and I'm putty. Bloody wierd... and completely out of my control!

Apart from that certainty (IMO), everyone differs and why people continually debate the subject is beyond (or maybe beneath?) me.

Gay? Straight? We're all just people.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

My post was really all about the thread I'm sorry to say.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mefrosty
reply to post by TELEX

Tel, scroll up..pls.

Hm, I indulged and see where your going, thought provoking. Not really the place for it here but I think many of us have the gut feeling that the trail of breadcrumbs leading back through time could indeed lead us to an asexual grey, well maybe

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
Just look at the republican politician (forgot which state) who always spoke out against gays, and that being gay is a choice...and now it turns out he's gay himself. I doubt he CHOSE to be gay

Oh please
that's politics don't be so naive

But for the sake of argument, even if it were a choice (and you can't know whether or not that's the case)...so what? If it makes them happy, cool. They're not hurting anyone.

Just because this is a sensitive issue it does not mean that it cannot be discussed.
So what? So nothing?
This can very well be a friendly debate where everyone learns a little bit from everyone.

Attraction is not a choice, why else are people falling for certain "types" of women/men? You don't CHOSE who you're attracted to!

Here's an easy answer for that
Beauty is abstract, genders are not!

It's that simple!

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Mhhh, yeah...a dude sleeping with another dude is politics, sure. I guess if a dude sleeps with a doctor dude it's medicine, right?

Oh, and whether you're attracted to a certain type is governed by several factors, including your sense for smell and hormones. It's not only about beauty. The same could apply for gays.

You are very keen on dodging the question about whether or not it's an issue for you if people are gay...which makes me believe that the thread was more intended as a disguised attack on gays and their way of life.

Up until now, we can't prove what causes people to be gay. You say it's a choice, you got no proof...others say it's biology, they got no proof (afaik)...and yet others say it's psychological, again, no proof.

You come here and make a statement that will obviously offend gays, yet you omit to showing any scientific proof. Your statements are based on personal opinions!

If you came here asking "what proof is there that being gay is a choice?" or "what proof is there that being gay isn't a choice?" instead of making an unsubstantiated statement, you'd seem a lot more honest about your aim to learn more (instead of barely hiding your disgust about gays).

By the way, history shows that often the biggest homophobes are the ones who are the most insecure about their sexuality. They compensate by being overly adverse against certain aspects or variations of sexuality.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by dbloch7986

I am just saying if it is a genetic trait, then it is a deformity because it flys in the face of the purpose of nature which is survival of the species

Why exactly should nature have a purpose and who defines it, It would appear that reproduction is more the "driving force of nature" in an evolving world.

Homosexuality doesn't fly in the face of anything simply because humans have the ability to pass on their genes without the necessary for heterosexual sex or any sex for that matter.

If anything we could possibly consider homosexuality a step in evolution or natural selection in action. If we wait a while we may find out whether or not the genes of of homosexuals have been successfully passed on no big deal.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by nomorecruelty

. Even when I was in the lifestyle I did not let myself get caught up around gay males - because most of them, I found, were constantl on the prowl for sex - and yeah, it made me sick

Dude, one of the biggest complaints by married women is that their husbands are always on the bloody prowl for sex, it just happens to be for a woman.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by indianajoe77

Recently, homosexuals have been given the status as a minority (same as women, african-americans, etc.). This qualifies them for minority contracts from most state/local governments.

Dude you appear to be mistaken, women are no a minority they make up about half the human population.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Jeezuz when are people going to stop snooping in other peoples beds!

Your government and employer does it.
Your mother (family) does it.
Your best friends have to 'go there'.
Your church group - well hell yes they're checking out what you got between the sheets!

Why can't people STAY OUT of OTHER PEOPLES BEDS! GAWD!

Don't you people EVER get SICK of it?

Born that way, made that way, trying it out for size that way - WHO CARES!

Believe you me, when first contact is made, you know, when the aliens land?
I can almost guarantee you the first thing they're NOT going to ask is about homosexuality!

There is SO much more to life than this crap.

MOVE ON with it.

Love is all that matters - and anyone who tries to deviate from that theme is a deviant themselves.

peace

(Edit to Add)

This is NOT an attack on the OP - it's frustration with people who need to get their priorities straight in a world where people must remove their heads from their hinders before we loose all our freedoms completely.

We need to STOP obsessing with this crap! It's only a diversion to keep us divided and from uniting our combined energies to fight real issues!

[edit on 26-3-2010 by silo13]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
OK, this reminds me of the time I was in a Marriage counseling and I said "she makes me feel...." and the Therapist said "Whoa!!! You are your own person. It is impossible for someone to MAKE YOU FEEL anything. Own your own thoughts and actions!"
And he was exactly right. Any thought or action we take we take by our own free will. Nobody makes us get naked with other people, male , female, adults, children (Priests) - own your thoughts and actions and quit saying I did this or thought that because of (enter excuse here)!!!
We are completely responsible for if we are Gay , straight, Bi or whatever. If I get hit on by a guy or a girl, in either situation it is my choice to react to it or not to.
The bottom line is don't have Gay Pride parades if your so ashamed of your actions that you have to run around saying " I had no choice in the matter". Most people couldn't care less, but you have a choice, Either be Proud or play the blame game.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by PilgriMage

Well, for starters I would never compare animal behaivor to humans. It is poor science to "read" human motivations and sentiments into animal behavior.
The post that I responded to which was not your post, also failed to answer the OP's question. Funny how you scrutinize my post......... Makes sense.

I think the primary causes of homosexual behavior are environmental and personal choice. I don't think your going to find a "gay" gene. But I would agree that there are other biological influences that may indeed influence some people toward homosexuality.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TELEX

Legally a minority.

In the US we have something called Minority Status, which when the state/local/federal government has contracts to give to public for services/products a few are set aside for minority contractors, i.e. those groups with minority status.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Wow OP, a long thread by now, and I wish I had the time or patience to go through every post. I am gay, and I certainly never felt I had a choice in the matter, even when I tried my best to make society happy and be straight.
From other similar threads I added lengthy arguments, but usually got something curt like:
"So you're queer, get over it, I'm fat and that's MY CHOICE, so stop making an issue out of your choice to be gay".
That got me thinking about the word "choice". What is choice?
That fat person may say with bravado and some braggadio that it's their choice. But is it really? Obesity usually has genetic componants, but it also has emotional factors where people use food like an escapist drug. People automatically desire escapism after some childhood trauma.
So what is an example of "choice" comparable to being gay? Whatever you say: alcoholism, drug addict, violent personality disorder, sexual fetishes even rape have biological determined and socially conditioned causalities.
So please give one example of choice, that is really uneffected "choice".
I can tell you now that whatever you mention has a background that has non-chosen influences.

That does not mean that all innate or chosen character traits are socially allowable or desireable. Pedophilia or serial killers for example are unacceptable conditions. Homophobic violence was long treated as an understandable crime with dimished responsibilities (the murderer of the gay activist Harvey Milk got a negligable sentence on the "Twinky" defense). So we must also consider that the opposite of homosexuality, or homophobia is a choice. Well, molesters, killers and perpetrators of hate crimes create victims who have no choice. Homosexuality per se does not.

Men and women may be born biologically male or female, but masculinity and femininity is changing and constructed. So men have a choice to re-learn being "masculine", and it is already less abusive than it was in the 1980s.

Ironically, the closet to the gay movement and its seperate spaces (and not all gay men follow it) would be religious people who choose their own media and seperate spaces from secularism. Do we have a religious gene? Is religion a choice? Maybe not for some where it is ingrained, but whether we are Hindu, Muslim or Christian is often not a choice but an accident of the culture we are born into. The less religiously inclined will follow other options, or become very superficial adherents where they have no choice.
So we are born into sexuality, and for same-sex desire that means a Western gay movement that largely copies and presents intself as an alternative to hetero roles. In other cultures there may be 3rd genders (India), or even 5 (tribal Indonesia).

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join