It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In addition to the "Flag System" it would be nice to be able to give "Anti-Flag's"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Not that I do not have a lot of time on my hands lately or anything, but it would be nice to be able to give the *opposite* of a flag. Some threads lately have been pretty brutal IMO and instead of having an additional person waste their time perhaps it would be prudent to warn them of garbage content.

The first that come to mind are the *Imminent Doom Threads* that are getting pretty old and debunked with logical information within 5 posts. These threads continue to build up continually misleading people and generally wasting time. These also reflect poorly on the "ATS Community" IMO.

You might ask what gives you the right to say something is garbage? Well my response to that would be you can flag it the other way if you feel strongly enough. Given a large enough sample size of members voting on the thread will determine its real worth.

I think this "Anti-Flag" should be displayed underneath your avatar just like the current flag system. This way people will know you are generally brutal and hopefully you will be shunned in the future.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
This has been posted many times before. The flag system is just a way for people to see what threads are the most important. Anti flags would just complicate things because there are so many different views on ATS. What might be good for some would sound stupid to other people. It will never work out.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Really? Thought I wasn't the first person to think of this.

We need a way to weed out bunk members IMO. This would be one step - or you could go "Anti-Stars" even.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Anti stars would be more understandable, but I just prefer to ignore threads I don’t like. It is not a competition; ATS is just a site for alternative news and conspiracies. Let there be bunk members. The only people I do not like on ATS are the ones who push there views on people and the racists. Besides that let there be crazy talk on ATS.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
Really? Thought I wasn't the first person to think of this.

We need a way to weed out bunk members IMO. This would be one step - or you could go "Anti-Stars" even.

You mean a thread like this????? A simple search would have showed you time and time again that this has been brought up..... Let the doomsayers have there little threads sometimes you just need humor.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Then you are giving them MORE attention. You would just have people competing for the most 'anit-flags.' Then there would be more crap.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Humor comes in all forms. Like not knowing the difference between there and their. JK man but seriously we need the Anti-Flag/Star system IMO.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by blujay

I don't see it that way. At least if you have the predisposition to be bunk I am hoping that your (not yours) thread dies a fast and painless death. That or your "anti-star" comments fall on deaf ears.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

No. I've had members come in and totally derail two of my threads and one of them turned into an "Empire is bad he should be banned" and "Empire should kill himself" thread. People were totally praising those who contributed nothing, the mods allowed veiled threats to be posted, but luckily I held off the naysayers and beasts (mods included) for five pages. Again, these people were given stars for being off topic, stars for making threads, stars for telling me to kill myself, etc because they didn't agree with my view.

IMHO, the star system should be removed altogther as it is quite hilliarious and doesn't contribute.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by EMPIRE]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Anti Flag? OK.

Seriously, as stated, this has come up before and the result was that Admin is going to focus on the positive.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

I could agree with that.

That's what I am saying though. If not taken away at least counteract. Sounding more and more childish I suppose lol.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

Threads get derailed all of the time. Granted I've never had someone pull the "go kill yourself routine on me", but, some people on here can't resist attacking certain people or topics on here. I completely get what you're saying about some of the mods allowing certain things depending upon the people involved, but that will never change either. I don't think the anti flag idea is a bad one per se, but I do see it being abused by certain people on here. No system is gonna be perfect as we're dealing with individuals and someone some where will be all to ready to abuse the system.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

IMHO there can be enough negativity on here without giving people more of a tool to misuse for such.
Believe it or not, the site system tries to focus on the positive.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Perhaps a system of Capture the Flag?

Combat Arms Capture The Flag Tutorial

Along the lines of actual members who are pro-topic and anti-topic?

After so many thoughts (posts) on a topic a member has to defend their position.

And someone gains their flag(s) and they have to win them back via member voting.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

If you could figure out a way to implement that.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I would debate that.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

If they did that...the israelian lobby would be flocking here and giving a negflag for every one witch disagree with them...

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
The simple solution is, if you don't like the topics that are getting flags, create the kind of topic you want to see.

I would think that would be much more productive, in the long term, rather than lamenting how you can't un-flag something. The "anti-flag" is no flag.

Thread closed.

top topics

join